1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is James Harden the laziest player in the NBA when he doesn't have a ball in his hand?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by fchowd0311, Oct 25, 2019.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

At least I can understand a 7 fter being gassed running up and down the court. Yao had similar issues occasionally but I can understand that.

I can understand a 6'5" guard struggling so hard to get up the court in time and be involved in half court offensive sets when the ball isn't in his hands.

2. JW86

JW86 Member

The problem I have is when he just throws the ball to Gordon, Rivers or Westbrook and just stays behind. Taking himself out of the play, exactly what bothered CP3 when he was here.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  3. fchowd0311

I think he's a great shooter. He just takes absurd contested 3s at a high rate. It even out to an efficient offensive production when the ball is in his hands.

He's just atrocious without the ball.

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

To be fair, while this thread is pointless because "it is what it is".... saying "it is what it is" doesn't really answer the question and in a sense makes it ok.

The answer is yes, Harden is supremely lazy off ball and maybe the laziest in the NBA.

/end

alethios likes this.
  5. malakas

malakas Member

Kyrie Irving. Devin Booker.

There are too many players who are as much or more "disengaged" as Harden is when the ball isn't in their hands.

OJ Mayo and JR were not ONE off. They just did one each some very epic bloopers that should go down in history. But the whole season they had been basically playing stoned.
    I mentioned them because THEY were probably the worst involved players I have watched in my life.

jordnnnn and HP3 like this.
  6. YOLO

YOLO Member

I think my thoughts on this were well understood by op. this topic has also been brought up numerous times

7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

?? Who said they weren't, lol.

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

i didn't take your post as more general. my mistake then

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Well he's never shot above 37.5% on the rockets and that was in 2015.

The amount of 3s he shoots doesn't make sense for the level of shooter he is, especially when he's a much better driver and passer, plus his 3pt% always tanks in the playoffs

10. fchowd0311

None of those players are close to Harden level of bad. None of those players routinely are still walking up the half court line while their team is in the middle of a half court offensive set.

Remember the Mcgrady Toronto game where people states that Mcgrady gave up on the team by standing near the half court line during Rocket offensive possessions? That is what Harden does on a daily basis when he doesn't have the ball.

You give one off examples of JR Smith. I'm telling you that JR Smith would not be in the NBA if he was routinely walking up the half court line while his team was in the middle of running half court sets. What coach would tolerate that from a player who is like their 6th best player on the roster?

11. Asian Sensation

The only 2 guys that held him somewhat accountable are long gone. Bzdelik and CP3 you guys will be missed.

Little Bit, kjayp and fchowd0311 like this.
  12. malakas

malakas Member

Kyrie in last years' playoffs was far worse than Harden was yesterday. He almost looked like Mcgrady's Toronto game.
    And the whole season, he was equally uninvolved..that with Brad Stevens, a coach that demanded ball movement and off ball cuts and screens.

Harden is bad..however unless your title is rhetorical then it is clearly hyperbolic to really think he is the worst player in the league.
    The list of players who lose interest or even pout and perhaps actively tank when they dont get involved,don't get the touches they want or get frozen out, is too long.

vlaurelio likes this.
  13. mdoggnic

mdoggnic Contributing Member

I 100% agree with your post. I really believe the whole season comes down to this as well. In order for the the Harden/Westbrook tandem to work he has to at the very least keep his defender honest when Brodie has the ball. Ideally he would give Westbrook a pass option as a cutter or even for a spot up 3 when he penetrates but I’ll settle for just keeping his defender from doubling and the Rockets playing 4 v 5.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  14. Asian Sensation

What does Kyrie have to do with this? Was he a reigning MVP heading into the season and a front runner for MVP again? No. Do fans on this board view Kyrie on the same level as Harden? Not even close.

15. fchowd0311

Also I've seen Kyrie play plenty. It's a flat out lie to say he is as disinterested and lollygags as much as Harden without the ball.

16. malakas

malakas Member

No offence..but do you even read the title of the thread before you respond?

Here is the title :
    Is James Harden the laziest player in the NBA when he doesn't have a ball in his hand?

alethios, HP3, jcf and 1 other person like this.
  17. malakas

malakas Member

Plenty when? I don't believe you watched him last year. I watched at least 30 Celtics games in RS and all of theirs in the POs. And the common complain by their fans was the same..Kyrie lost interest when the ball wasn't in his hands and wasn't playing team ball.

18. fchowd0311

You can pretend that I have never seen Kyrie play. I've never seen a NBA guard this lazy without the ball. Never.

Kyrie isn't close to Harden's level of lollygaging without the ball. I don't see Kyrie still walking up the court when his team is in the middle of running a half court set on a routine basis.

19. malakas

malakas Member

If you don't believe me,it's very easy to settle this.
    Check out the Celtics games from last year or just go to the celtics reddit or realgm forum and ask.

https://nbahdreplay.com/east-semifinals-game-5-boston-celtics-vs-milwaukee-bucks-08-may-2019/

20. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Maybe @malakas is having fun on a basketball message board. The Shaqtin-a-fool clip was my clue that this could be the case.

Anyway, on topic:
    • agree that it is awful
    • agree Pop would not tolerate
    • agree with those saying it will never change
    • a double-bad part, to my eyes, is that it allows one of the opposing players to just rest for a while.

kjayp, malakas and fchowd0311 like this.