1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is it time to trade Scola?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Garner, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Garner

Garner Member

Oh boy, here we go...

As the rockets stumble into a 3-9 start, it is hard to not let your mind drift into a Dooms Day Scenario (and lets be honest with yourself, you haven't seen much to make you think differently). However, regardless of the start, it is not inconceivable that the Rockets limp into the 7th or 8th seed of the playoffs. Either way, to date, that is probably the most optimistic and realistic outcome you can honestly convince yourself of.

If just sneaking into the playoffs for a first round exit is the best case scenario for the 2010/11 season, do we find ourselves in a position best suited to cash in on a 30 yr old Scola who is in the prime of his career?

With potentially a pending NBA lockout season, Scola would not be playing on this Rockets squad again, after this season, until he is 31/32 yrs. old.

Consider this, the Rockets found themselves in a very similar situation with Battier and his touted intanginbles just two years ago.

In hindsight, two years ago, Battier was also 30 yrs. old; holding on to the intangibles that he brought to the table, the Rockets stuck by their guns. After enduring a season of Yao's injuries it is has not been until this season, at age 32, Battier has another chance to compete on what everyone thought would be a very competitive club. However, the Rockets find themselves with an older Battier, who's skills have noticeably slipped in those two years, and worse, still with a questionable Yao situation.

If the Rockets ride out Scola's next couple of years to no avail, does his value diminish as drastically as Battier's after we find ourselves in a very similar situation? If the next two years do not offer a 2nd round playoff appearance, is his value ultimately waisted?

Under such circumstances, yes, the time for a trade is now.

Even considering this season has been underlined with the Knick's swap option, the Rockets could be best served to cut their losses and take the appropriate actions moving forward. (either way, after watching Tracy this season, I would take J. Hill for TMac straight up and gladly).

The Rockets have $32 Million coming off of the books this season, throw in the potential prospects that could be netted from a Scola trade, in addition to the 2012 knicks pick and the Rockets potential lotto pick does; 2012 really look so bad?

Trading Scola would not constitute tanking, as much as building on an extremely young core Morey has assembled.

Are the Rockets a team who reacts to the current situation or works for the future?

Is it time to move Scola?

1 person likes this.
  2. G-Money

G-Money Member

I'd trade Brooks, Battier, Jeffries, Hill, Lowry, Lee, Hayes, Miller before I'd trade Scola.

3. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Knote and I discussed this a bit in the game thread, personally I say YES. Scola would be ideal for a contender because his weaknesses can be hidden and his contract isn't crazy. I love the guy and it would hurt A LOT to see him gone but getting from under that deal maybe the best move.

I mentioned a Murphy for Scola deal since NJ was hot for Scola this offseason, simple deal that would open up cap room next summer. Jeff Green was also mentioned as he would be an ideal PF playing between Thabo and Ibaka.

4. Garner

Garner Member

Would you trade that list of players before Scola because collectively they are not as loveable as he is? Ultimately because Scola ranks leaps and bounds higher on your favorite Rockets list?

My question is, however, are you looking for a favorite Rocket or a Championship?

Do you believe Brooks, Battier, Jeffries, Hill, Lowry, Lee, Hayes, and Miller in any combination of could net a better platform for the future than a trade involving Scola. A PF suited to push a contending team to the finals.

5. asmith8266

asmith8266 Member

He's the best player on our team and a top 5 power forward in the league. This is nonsense.

1 person likes this.
  6. Voice of Reason

You don't trade your best and most consistent player. There are lots of other players that I would get rid of before Scola.

7. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

Trade him when he's eligible (December 12?). His value is sky high right now, get some future picks and a fat expiring.

8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Aaron Brooks
    Kevin Martin
    Jeff Green
    Patrick Patterson
    Jordan Hill
    -----------------------------

Suck, have fun, and rebuild for the future. We need to find a stud PF/C in the draft.

Luis Scola for Jeff Green.

9. liljojo

liljojo Member

Are we just going down the list and trading everyone on the roster now?

10. rocketsmetalspd

Are you guys serious, trade Scola? I say hell no, build a new team around Scola.

11. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

I would trade anybody on the team... it sucks!

12. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

If it comes to that, you have to wait until February to decide that.

That's what makes this season (and many other recent seasons) so frustrating. Yao is out, and so is Aaron Brooks, so we can't run games with the full cast to determine what's working and what's not. These games just feel wasted in general.

But if the Rockets are still a mess come February, you have to at least consider it. Scola could really bolster a very good team and maybe you could get a young piece. Just an example: Oklahoma City and Jeff Green.

But I don't think the Rockets are at that stage yet and hopefully they right this ship quick.

13. Garner

Garner Member

I agree with you both, half-way. Scola is both the best, and most consistent player on this Rockets squad.

Either way, he is not so good that he is going to take us beyond the first round of the playoffs.

If you are not out of the first round, what good is your best being consistently mediocre?

14. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

It's been time for quite a while.

15. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

It's better than Morey's stupid effin strategy!

16. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Id trade every slow unathletic injury prone guy we have for a few ballers with some athletic skills. Yao? Gone. Battier? Gone. Martin? Gone. Chuck Hayes? Gone. Scola? Keeper because he is tough at least.

17. J-Man

J-Man Member

OH HELL NAW!!!!

HELL NAW!!!!!

HELLL TO THE NAW!!!!!!!!!

18. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Unless we are talking about some real quality player back? I dont know depends on who we are talking about trading him for?

19. bro2044

bro2044 Member

no. that would be stupid.

20. Garner

Garner Member

Injuries make an otherwise clear situation extremely muddled and the wait I agree with.

However, in retrospect, the time to trade Battier was two years ago to a Portland or another all-in team when the Rockets were obviously not going to contend.

That is my argument

The Rockets do not have the chops to go up against the Lakers, Spurs, Celtics, Magic, or Bulls- so why let our biggest asset detoriate into a has-been?

1 person likes this.