1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is it Time to Start Resting Harden and Parsons?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hotballa, Mar 27, 2014.

?

Cut Down Harden and Parsons minutes?

1. Yes

96 vote(s)
    66.2%
  2. No

49 vote(s)
    33.8%
  1. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I was under the impression that they were already doing this, but a quick look at game logs doesn't really show much of a difference. Soooooo.... goodcalla hotballa.

...I hate your name so much. I hope you do too, 11.25 years later.

2. dookiester

dookiester Member

I'm glad someone made this thread because it gives us a chance to discuss how the whole concept of resting starters is probably completely foreign to McHale. Let's not forget that this is the guy who (bless his heart) during his playing days ignored direct advice from team doctors not to continue playing on a broken foot, which not only shortened his career but is responsible for his noticeable limp to this day.

McHale is an old school guy, and I believe in the past he's publicly scoffed at the very notion of limiting minutes for these guys because they are "young" and should just suck it up. So while I'd love for us to take a book out of Miami's or San Antonio's playbook and strategically rest our starters which will both preserve them for the playoffs and the long haul, I don't think that's any part of the coaching philosophy of this team. For better or worse.

My personal take is that limiting your superstar's minutes isn't something you wait to do after your stars are old and worn down. It's something you do to prevent them from getting old and worn down in the first place.

3. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

We have been #3 for like 10 games in two 10-day stretches. LAC could gain up on OKC, but I don't see Thunder losing enough to fall to #4 seed in their remaining 11 games.

Bottom line question is not if we can move up to #3 but can we keep it till the end.

4. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

He isn't in a slump, his legs are tired and has no lift on his shot.

5. don grahamleone

We have 9 easy wins on the schedule, OKC has 6 and LAC has 4. I'm with you in thinking strongly that it probably won't happen, but never say never. This is a good team that's just beginning to gel.

6. sleepyazn

sleepyazn Member

Harden is fine. Parsons needs to sit his ass down.

7. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

This isn't football, and we are not the geriatric Spurs.

Unless someone can come up with substantial proof that shaving off an x number of minutes greatly reduces the chance of injury, or that it increases playoff performances, my answer is no.

I don't recall Olajuwon or Jordan in their prime playing reduced minutes toward the end of their seasons, and they had no problem elevating their games in the playoffs.

Regardless of seeding, I would rather see our players need to keep it rolling and then play at their peak level going into the playoffs instead of throwing in a wrench to their game time habits and mind set.

8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I suppose my take is to cut, but not drastically so. To 30-32 from 36 or so. But mostly from those games where we can win handily without them.

Also a chance to work on the bench. Give some higher minutes to Casspi, Hamilton, Garcia especially to see more clearly who among them can really contribute when needed and/or work on their game.

9. ross84

ross84 Contributing Member

Exactly. I think they should rest but not to the point it cools them off or lowers their stamins. I know it's not the same magnitude but it took Asik over a month to get back into game shape.

10. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

Parsons really needs it. He works hard with them cuts all game long, those things that don't show in the stat sheet.

11. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I recall a guy called Dream who not only did not reduce minutes, but also played after fasting and still raised his game to a new level. I guess that's why he was the Dream.

12. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

real name's supposed to be hotballer, but you know...the asian thing with "r" sounds

1 person likes this.
  13. NotChandlerParsons

Parsons really needs to have his minutes trimmed a bit. I understand why McHale is hesitant to rest him at all because our backup wing situation is just gross.

14. don grahamleone

What three players have started at SG in front of Michael Jordan in a regular season game?

George Gervin, Rip Hamilton and Bryon Demetrise Russell. Am I missing anyone?

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Playing them "normal" starter minutes, about 36 per game, sounds about right. Just don't ride them hard, but you still want them to be in game shape physically and mentally comes playoffs time.

I'd say keep a regular rotation regardless of the score. If it's a close game and we happen to be playing the bench player, let them sweat it out.

16. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Absolutely not. If we get to a point where we cannot move up or down in the standings, then rest them.

17. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

I don't understand the people who are averse to gaining the 3 side, which I think we will very realistically have. It's like these people are under the impression that the Spurs will just keel over and lose if the Rockets get the 4th side. Or that regular season match-ups will have any bearing on the Spurs who coast until the end of the season/playoffs. These same people want to face the best team in the NBA and the team riding a 15 game win streak. I for one don't underestimate the spurs.

18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

this

I want #3 seed, and the team probably does, too.

Grab it!

19. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

the goal would be more to look at resting the last week entirely if it can

20. verysimplejason

Just win enough games to be 4th seed. Play Parsons and Harden sparingly. It will lessen the chances for "accidents". Maybe shutting down Parsons completely for at least 4-6 games will do wonders to his body. His back has not recovered yet.