1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is it time to restore the Supreme Court to legitimacy?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Jun 26, 2022.

?

Should the court be expanded given the far right agenda?

1. Yes

24 vote(s)
    64.9%
  2. No

13 vote(s)
    35.1%
  1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They have been packing the court system with ideologues since then at the state level. I also consider the way they are pushing ideologues into the SCOTUS that past few decades while pushing back on any kind of moderate is court packing.

When you have a litmus test that a Justice needs to rule a certain way - that's not a legitimate court. How can a judge be impartial and serve the interests of the parties involved in the case, if it has already decided how it will rule before the case even exists?

Only way to restore balance is for Dems to expand the court and show the Republicans the folly of what' they have done.

2. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Because abortions is not covered in the constitution. Guns are. I am not sure why you are bring this up when you already know the answer to your question.

As I said, I would prefer Roe Vs Wade not to be over turned. I also would like to see better gun regulations. However my preferences do not supersede the rule of the land.

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

It is covered because it clearly states that you can't establish religious doctrine as a governing body, which is what you are doing by banning abortions. Banning abortions is unconstitutional. People who have different religious beliefs about conception shouldn't be forced to follow the views of the Church.

ROCKSS and FranchiseBlade like this.
  4. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

What? People are not getting abortions for religious reasons.

How is abortions being covered under the 1st amendment? Do you even understand what you're saying? This logic scares me.

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Indifference to manufactured inequity and manifest human suffering is a great recipe to destroy a nation.

Invisible Fan, VooDooPope and Deckard like this.
  6. Screaming Fist

Abortion is one thing, but if they go full non-delegation in this EPA case then the admin should just ignore the court and tell these freaks to go **** themselves.

That decision would all but doom our future to the third world. It may not sound like it, but that kind of decision would be a direct threat to our continued way of life.

subtomic likes this.
  7. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is the argument that people on the left are now making in light of the GOP paying no electoral consequence for their actions regarding Garland, Gorsuch and Barrett. I don't know that I agree, but when one political party demonstrates that base voters don't care about "norms" the other party's base is likely to start clamoring for the same type of behavior from the representatives.

I don't think this ends anywhere good.

arkoe and FranchiseBlade like this.
  8. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Huh? I dont' think you read what I said carefully.

I said the people trying to restrict abortion are doing it for religious reasons. This is unconstitutional. You can't force your religious beliefs on others. That's what's super scary.

Deckard likes this.
  10. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Shows your ignorance and entitlement which only another boomer can fully understand. I wonder if you have any kids or have talked to any millenials for instance. I am the oldest of 9 and 8 of us worked our way through college, primarily at UT with little help.

Look at some figures for minimum wage and Texas State tuition from say 1975 to the present. Too busy and disgusted to educate right now.

11. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

:rolleyes:

12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

The crumbling legitimacy of every part of our government has nothing to do with the press and everything to do with the rules of the game that keep empowering a vocal minority.

I don't know how conservatives can keep whipping out surprised pikachu faces and falling back on 'muh norms' when it's very, very obvious this situation is not just or tenable and is destined to create strife and suffering.

joshuaao, subtomic, Amiga and 4 others like this.
  13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Like you, I am a multi-tasker, but admit it. You're the Ryan Anderson of D(&D)!!

@DaDakota

ROCKSS likes this.
  14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

In game theory sims, you strike back for the stolen seats or they're not going to take you seriously and do it again.

Eye for an Eye for everyone, then everyone's more likely to agree to asking for forgiveness.

Isn't that why they included the Old T with the New?

Otherwise, that side that "got away with it" does it again and again.

15. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

16. Invisible Fan

Cons just want it more right now. They ate a half century of Roe plus the subsequent losses in case law that reduced it's exceptional circumstances to allow abortions for sniffles or bad vibes (more or less...)

All this post Trump talk about "forgiveness" and "moderation" shades post-Bush talk where he dragged the nation into a financial and geopolitical canyon.

The biggest thing libs have going against them is finding real good people in the ground to fact check and do what their partisan thinkers preach about. They mostly read something, maybe share/comment, then move on because there's more pressing things to go on their lives.

Cons consume and buy the rage because it answers that nagging question of why they aren't great or why their broodlings are being driven more and more into dead end lanes. They let their priests and scions of faith and capitalism do the driving and do their duty to jump off cliffs when told to.

It's worked so far with the abortion thing. Don't rub it in... Play it cool and gaslight when you see any visible reactions from the other side. Stay on script until you can con another underserved Congressional majority.

AkeemTheDreem86 likes this.
  17. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

had to do a triple take, I read that as "undeserved Congressional majority." :D

Invisible Fan likes this.
  18. Invisible Fan

That keyboard glide gave me an extra grade level or three in vocab. :D

Os Trigonum likes this.
  19. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member