1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is it time to draw a line? Do you root for the Rockets only when they win?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BrianKagy, Dec 4, 2001.

1. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

I'm just curious. We've had the criminally stupid statement...

...posted tonight.

Is it time for some sort of internal fatwah? Do we need to separate the believers from the non-believers?

Or should we just agree that a lot of our fans are just jerks that hopped the bandwagon around the time of Houston's second championship and are now tired of explaining to their friends who are fans of "the Bulls, the Spurs I guess, oh and the Lakers" why Houston hasn't won a third title?

It seems that support for the Rockets is now being tied to how often they win. I find that interesting, because I don't recall that being the case in the past among Rocket fans.

Would anyone like to imagine what this site would be like if Clutch followed a similar method of determining its support for the Rockets? Should we only cover wins? Big wins? Playoff wins?

There's a very good reason why this site has a History section. OK, part of it is because we thought it was funny to make Keeley do all that work. But a bigger reason is because the site represents the entirety of the franchise. It doesn't start and stop with the glory days, with the wins. It includes it all, and that means the ugly losses too.

You fairweather, bandwagon, front-running fans make me sick. If rooting the team through its rebuilding process is only fun when we win 45 games-- as oppposed to struggling through a losing streak caused by the loss of two of our best players-- then take a hike.

We are Houston Rockets fans. This is our team, and may it rise or fall, win or lose, we will support it.

1 person likes this.
  2. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Some fans love the team so much it kills them inside to see how terrible it's become - especially when so many of the obvious problems could be so easily corrected by both the players and coaching staff.

3. RocketKid

RocketKid Member

I really don't think it's whether we win or lose. It's the games that we show ZERO effort that causes us to be pissed at the Rockets. I have seen zilch effort the past 6 games. Pathetic.

4. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Thanks Brian...I needed a slap in the face like that to come to my senses...go rockets :(

5. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Here Here, Brian.

While it is embarassing to play like that against a Bulls team that is terrible, I will NEVER stop watching my team. Until the day I die, I will probably state that I am a ROCKETS fan to anyone who asks, and many who don't.

Go Rockets.

6. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

Maybe if fans were more supportive they would be more motivated to win? That might sound kind of weak, but it doesn't seem nearly as weak as the PISS POOR fan support at home for Rocket games.

It's frustrating for those of us who live hundreds or thousands of miles away and can't go to a game. For the chronics who live in Houston and are calling for Rudy-cide, I say give up your vices for however long it takes you to buy a ticket if you are really a fan and tell the suits to go to hell if they dare to talk in their call phones.

Maybe not a fun Police so much a Fun Posse? Or maybe we can take up a collection to give LHutz season tickets and a megaphone?

Just a thought.

--Deji

7. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

If I boo my Rockets, or I yell and scream obsenities at my Rockets, it doesn't mean I don't want them to win. I always want them to win.

I haven't posted anything about "booing" or "not supporting", but I do empathize with some of those who do post this sort of thing. I would never stop supporting them, but if I feel I am not getting what I as a fan deserve, I feel no shame in booing the hell out of them, to let them know.

I don't know... maybe I wouldn't be as sour if Griffin was getting more minutes, or Moochie hadn't gotten offered more than Hakeem, or Cato wasn't such a douche bag, or Mo Taylor hadn't gotten hurt, or a lot of things.

Rebuilding is inevitable (unless you're the Yankees or something), but when the organization you live and breath makes seemingly idiotic moves, you start to question why you put so much into them, if they're not going to put the same sort of effort into what they do.

8. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This doesn't even deserve a thread. This should not have to be asked. That is my answer.

9. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

I root for the Rockets when they lose...I just don't read the Clutch recaps when they lose...

You understand, right Clutch ;)

10. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Read Clutch's recaps! Hell I can't bear to watch ESPN, NBA.com, or any sports related programming after a loss like this...it truely is a sad sad day in rockets history...:eek:
    Isn't there a way to fast forward time to Thursday's game?!?!:mad: Hell...how about 5 weeks when francis comes back!

11. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

No one has explained to me why I should support a bunch of millionaires who don't play their hardest every night. If their games aren't entertaining, what's the point? What else is supporting a team about other than entertainment?

I have put up with losing since 1996. As soon as I became a fan, the Rockets started losing. It has been downhill ever since. This is not a sudden thing. I don't just root for the Rockets when they win, but it is getting pretty ridiculous.

12. RocketKid

RocketKid Member

Great point ZRB. The players are getting paid millions for what? Playing BASKETBALL. BASKETBALL, for crying out loud! Some people would PAY to be in their position for a day. The least they could do is make their fans happy and show some effort. Hey, maybe even win a game here and there. Some of us pay thousands a season to see them play, and that's what they give us? Gimme a break. There is little to defend for the the Rockets right now.

13. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Well, if watching players who are paid millions to pay basketball offends you so much, why did you start?

14. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ha!

How dare the Rockets lose when they have a fan such as ZRB rooting for them! The nerve! You certainly shouldn't have to "put up" with losing any longer, Tweak. All the other fans that root for their teams during thick and thin so they can simply keep their team in their city are different than you.

Maybe if you went up to Les/CD/Rudy and said, "Do you know who I AM?! How dare you lose! No team loses when Zaine is a fan! I might just have to take my fandom elsewhere!"

Yeah, that would probably work. Do that.

15. RocketKid

RocketKid Member

Searching for the word "offend" in my original post........search returned no results.

I don't mind paying big bucks to watch them play. I just want to see DAMN EFFORT.

16. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

It seems to me that "fan" fits into several categories:

Blinders - Win, lose or draw, this fan will never do anything but be happy his team is just playing.

Loyalist - This fan loves the team no matter what but gets frustrated and even critical of his/her team when things aren't going well. This fits the majority of fans around here.

Fairweather - Loves them when they win. Doesn't care when they lose. This is quite different from the next one.

Manic - Absolutely enthralled when the team is winning but alternating between depressed and pissed when the team is not winning. This is the toughest fan to be because it carries with it so much emotional baggage.

Objective - The toughest fan to be. It means accepting reality no matter what that may be - good, bad or downright ugly.

Casual - Just watches for fun. Very little if any emotion attached.

Critic - Never happy about anything. Truly loves the team but can't help being pessimistic.

I tend to fall somewhere between Objective and Loyalist. There are times when I truly just sit back and enjoy watching NBA basketball. Then, there are nights like tonight. :)

17. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

I am sorry, I just had to post and didnt even bother reading what yall are saying.

Great question to ask. This is the time to see how much you support your team. We are in a slump right now. Yea i know everybody is pissed, but then again, NOBODY IS PERFECT. Every team goes through this, hell even the Lakers. Every year it seems like we are in a slump, so why worry now? Somebody brought up a good point in one thread sayin that we had a similar record last year and this time, and the Rocks just blew up after the All-Star break. All we can do is wait, and time will tell where this team will stand. Hell, I still believe that the Heat will start something. Look at the Sixers, the are doing great since Iverson came back.

If you are going to root for our team ONLY when they are winning, then I am sorry, I have no respect for you. I admit, I was a Bulls fan for awhile in the early, I mean early 90's, but I was 9 at the time and wasnt thinkin. I have been rootin the Rockets and ONLY the Rockets since '92. I try to watch every game, listen to the radio if not available on TV, go to the bars while i was young to watch the PPV games during the playoffs with my dad, cherishin the foam Hakeem goggles that were given out when he came back from the eye injury, have a pic of Olajuwon when I saw him at Dillards 10 years ago, and the list goes on and on.

All in all, thats my 2 cents. With that said,
    GO ROCKETS!!!

18. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

I rooted heavily for this team in the 34 win season. I didn't care when the Rockets were 34-42, and clinched a lottery spot, I still rooted for them like crazy. Why? Because they played their hardest in every game I saw.

Hell, even last week, when the Rockets came to Seattle, and lost a game I had been looking forward to for months by 18 points, I still commended their effort. But suddenly, the players look as though they have been paid off by the other teams. They have quit.

I became a fan of the Rockets after, not during the title runs. I was a casual fan just starting to understand this American game of basketball during 94 and 95. By 97, I was a full-on fan because of the way the Rockets played. They never gave up. Games were always exciting, and they always tried their hardest.

As their effort made me into a fan, they current lack of effort is turning me away.

19. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Another category you need to add Jeff is "Sick Puppy" because I'm going to be sitting in that chatroom Thursday during the Washington game and chatting away like usual and that makes me and other like me the sickest fans in the world! :cool:

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I thought the season officially began when I saw the first "Git riddy of Ruddy" thread. But no, it doesn't really start until we all square up in camps.