1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is it time for the federal government to increase your tax rate?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Cohete Rojo, Sep 4, 2012.

?

Is it time for the federal government to increase your tax rate?

1. Yes

33.8%
  2. No

66.2%
  1. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

I don't think any government would cut SS and Medicare to reduce the current liabilities, at the pace government is spending with the current debt load it will take a miracle big enough to cause a belief in divine intervention, hmmmmm, guess you are right, all things are possible with God.

I change my stance, with God's help we can make it. thanks solid, you are a blessing.

2. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Is this a joke?

How about stimulating the economy to create growth?

The shortsightedness of some of you dims is simply stunning

3. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

I'm sorry you didn't get the memo, but cutting taxes does not and never has increased growth or revenues. I'm sorry you choose to believe liars, but believe them you have.

4. bigtexxx

logic error on your part

is raising taxes the only way to increase revenues?

#64 bigtexxx, Sep 5, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  5. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

Wealth doesn't trickle down, ever.

6. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Not everyone has a job...

Sales tax is the only tax that is pretty much paid by everyone (households) in this country. As Dubious said real estate taxes (directly or indirectly) are paid by everyone (homeless being an exception).

Most Americans do pay FICA tax, sales tax, property tax, & fuel taxes.

We are taxed a lot in this country, and it is impossible to truly quantify how much each person pays in any given year.

The problem isn't the rates as much as how many ways there are to gain tax credits to offset tax, or ways to deduct income from being taxed in the first place.

Our whole system needs to be re-vamped, but that won't happen.

7. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

It's not a way to stimulate growth at all.

How should we stimulate growth, texxx?

Have you studied Keynesian economics?

8. bigtexxx

I meant to say is raising taxes the only way to increase revenues.

GladiatoRowdy doesn't understand how to increase revenues through other means. He takes a very short sighted view

9. GladiatoRowdy

Reality error on your part. Tax cuts never have increased revenue, but a tax increase DEFINITELY would, you are welcome to argue against, but arguing against mathematics seems rather DERP-y.

10. bigtexxx

definitely?

do you think GDP could decrease from a tax increase?

would a tax increase help unemployment? Do you care?

11. GladiatoRowdy

There are certainly other ways to increase revenues, unfortunately it has been repeatedly proven that Republican policies do not. See Reagan and Bush's deficit and debt history for the evidence.

12. GladiatoRowdy

Yes, raising taxes definitely increases revenue, it is called math.

Perhaps, but it would have to be a truly massive tax increase to make that happen. For example, GDP EXPLODED after Bush the elder and Clinton raised taxes, as it did when the top marginal tax rate was raised to over 90% after WWII.

Your theories are nice in a Randian utopia, but reality has shown your theories to be bullsh!t.

I don't believe there is a causal relationship that could be established there, but it has certainly been clearly shown that tax cuts don't help unemployment.

Of course I do, that is why I show your claims up for the idiotic tripe that they are.

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

100% of the population pays some form of taxes. Other than maybe hermits who live in caves.

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Double talk? The only person who is engaged in double talk is you who can't seem to understand the difference between sovereign debt and household debt and are intentionally conflating the two in order to preach some silly morality parable about debt being evil.

There's actually a number of ways to get out of household debt (intentionally depressing your economy is not one of them).

#74 SamFisher, Sep 5, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  15. ILoveTheRockets

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iIR4KNx2384?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iIR4KNx2384?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Bill Clinton sets every one here straight on the issue.

16. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

As a guy who had to chalk up an $800 tax bill after making approximately $7000 last year, I'll say no. I thought the poor didn't have to pay taxes...

17. solid

solid Contributing Member

Lie?! I think not! The data is everywhere on the net, but for your convenience: blog:heritage.org/2012/02/19/chart-of-the-week-nearly-half-of-all-americans-don't-pay-income-taxes/

Really, it is not that hard to find the TRUTH; try harder next time before making false accusations.

18. GladiatoRowdy

You said half of Americans don't pay taxes, which is a lie. Income taxes, which the Heritage blog speaks to, are but one of a myriad of taxes levied on Americans.

19. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Self-employment/FICA taxes?

Because your income taxes should be $0.

20. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

The way we tax Americans who work and live abroad is just preposterous. It makes it more effective to hire foreigners than to hire Americans.

The tax and government loads up on these rules that sound great but when actually implemented do little to help our nations commerce.

When European banks don't want Americans as clients, something is truly wrong. We're falling in competitiveness and taxing away instead of nurturing the most powerful force we have, competition and low costs providing the buffer to one day start that Microsoft or even a small business and have us remain one of the top GDP / Capita countries in the world.