1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is it time for the federal government to increase your tax rate?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Cohete Rojo, Sep 4, 2012.

?

Is it time for the federal government to increase your tax rate?

1. Yes

33.8%
  2. No

66.2%
  1. Nook

Nook Member

I am taxed at a low rate when my income is considered. As much as it pains me to say it, I am not paying my fair share and it is better for the country if I pay more than 20%.

2. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

3. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Famous bank robber Willie Sutton is quoted as saying when asked why he robs banks, "Because, that's where the money is"

For the beaten down average American who had $14 trillion dollars wiped out by avarice and greed run amuck this is pretty good advice; go where the money IS.

The only problem is that the money makes the laws and writes the narrative; even though they don't have the numerical advantage of votes.

4. Nook

Nook Member

Don't worry, your tax rate and mine will be increasing soon enough. Unless something horrible happens, Obama will be relected and the tax rates for the top earners such as you and I will increase as well. No one wants to voluntarily pay more in taxes, but we need a structural change.

On a side note, with the increased money in my pocket I have donated nearly $500 to Planned Parenthood in Giddy's name.

5. bigtexxx

So you're unwilling to pay more to the government yourself, but you'd like others to do so. Got it. Love you liberal hypocrites. Just so full of win.

6. Dubious

What's the hardship and sacrifice involved in having a net worth of $100 million dollars versus $500 million dollars?

7. CCorn

CCorn Member

Hey, it's called stimulating the economy.

8. Nook

Nook Member

Yup, I will not pay it until the law changes.

Yes, I think the majority of people with my income should pay more than 20% and it should be the law.

I am not making you pay more in taxes, but I will support politicians to increase taxes on those making over $200,000 a year.

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

This is not a personal insult, but good lord has bigtexxx gone full r****d today. Welcome break from a busy day here making money.

10. bigtexxx

I would say that is indeed an insult. Of course I'll be the bigger man and not respond in a similar fashion.

I've been ruthlessly hammering idiocy left and right today. Liberal hypocrites who want others to pay higher taxes but are unwilling to do so themselves and liberals who think a good speaker deserves a cabinet post are two of the most idiotic ideas I've seen in a while. So I shut them up.

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Nope, I clearly said that wasn't a personal insult. But keep on keepin' on.

12. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Why don't we just cut all taxes to zero and let everybody use that link to pay what they want? How much money will the military get then? How long would Social Security and Medicare last? Disaster relief and aid? Cut local taxes to zero too. How many policemen and firemen could we afford and how many roads would be repaired if all taxes were optional? No property taxes, no school district taxes. How much would our kids education suffer?

Sure, some people would give money, but how many would skip out on paying anything entirely? How many would pay less than what they're paying now? How would any government services, local, state, or federal that we like and depend on (whether you admit it or not) survive?

The point is, voluntary funding of the government won't work. It is in no way hypocritical to believe in higher taxes while not voluntarily giving more because the point isn't really that I'm not paying enough, it's that the country as a whole isn't paying enough. How am I as an individual supposed to make up the difference to get revenues to where they need to be for a balanced budget to be possible? I won't make a dent and neither will the relative few who are willing to contribute money on top of the taxes they already pay. That path is futile. That's why it can't be voluntary, it has to be mandatory in the form of higher taxes.

That's why it's not hypocritical. Me paying more by myself does nothing. Me paying more along with everyone else or at least those who can afford to pay more does do something. I'm more than willing to pay higher taxes if it means a balanced budget and paying down our debt. But there's no point in me just giving more by myself because that won't affect the budget or the deficit. It's not as much about paying more as it is the results that come from paying more.

Of course, I don't expect an imbecile like you to grasp that concept. Why don't you throw that link around a few more times to demonstrate your lack of comprehension skills.

13. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

14. bigtexxx

looks like I struck a nerve with your obvious hypocrisy.

truth hurts

15. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

You would be wrong, though your inability for abstract thinking would inhibit you from knowing or admitting it once informed.

My retort was in reference to your request that I "shut it" not the civic duty for donating additional money beyond my required taxes.

It's quite apparent that the nerve that has been struck today is the DNC touching your hypothalamus as witnessed by your going "full r****d" all day long.

16. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

You strike a nerve with everyone that has a pulse, it's because you're an ass. Congratulations on the realization. Truth hurts.

17. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Man Texx is unraveling.

18. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I believe that is sacrificing $400,000,000.

I think you have that backwards. You are the one unwilling to pay more to the government, but are asking others to pay more via the link you keep kindly providing.

19. Dubious

As compared to the average American with a net worth of $50K and income of $40K paying $1000 extra tax. The effect is nil.

20. SacTown

SacTown Member

We don't need to increase anyones taxes but we do need to let the bush tax cuts expire.