1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is it time for Rick Adelman to go?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OlajuwonShake34, Mar 15, 2009.

?

Is it time for RA to go?

1. Yes

193 vote(s)
    42.2%
  2. No

264 vote(s)
    57.8%
  1. OlajuwonShake34

I totally agree that RA is much better than JVG, though it's not saying that much. I just believe their are better coaches that FIT THE SYSTEM. A place where he could fit a system in is Detroit. Simply because they have no stars and they play great overall as a team. We are not like that, we need to grind it out offensively, play hard nose defense and we need to live our offense by Yao Ming.

We are relying on 3's more than we are relying on Yao Ming.

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The people that want JVG gone are the same people that want Rick gone, and will be the same people that want the next coach gone.

Their dreams of Phil Jackson will never come true.

3. OlajuwonShake34

You are correct though, I def. wanted JVG out because we were too predictable on offense. Although our defense was one of the best in the business.

Phil Jackson is not a realistic dream and I have no thoughts about him coming to Houston. My only dream is having Mr. Avery Johnson come here. It's a dream enough though getting RA gone.

4. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

We are keeping him unless we can get Avery.

5. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Why do people act like Adelman can't coach defense? His Portland days were a little before my time but I remember reading something about his Portland teams having one of the top defenses in the league 5/6 years he coached there. Maybe somebody can back me up on that. From 1999-2003 his Sacramento teams were always above average defensively sporting strong points-per-100 possession numbers. This current Rockets group is definitely above average defensively. Maybe it's just me but I think this "no defense" reputation is way overblown.

6. OlajuwonShake34

I never said we didn't play good defense. I just don't think we are playing the hard nose defense we played under JVG and what we are known for. Maybe it's because JVG had a bunch of veterans who knew how to play defense for us.

This team needs to get a bit tougher, Artest has been upgrade but not a big one.

7. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Sure, our defense was always great under JVG but it was our stagnant offense that ended up killing us. That, and JVG's not-officially-Coach/GM role of having some control over roster moves thus enabling him to find his type of "fit players". Those same guys that played great defense but couldn't score or create their own shot to save their lives. That culture has since changed for the better under Adelman and Morey. Gone are the days of limited bench depth and one-dimensional players. Our offense has dramatically improved and seemingly getting better by the game with Scola, Brooks, Lowry, Landry, Wafer, etc. all getting better with experience. We finally seem to be coming alive all the while proving it's entirely possible to be both offensively dynamic and strong defensively at the same time. I like the mix but, of course, the true test is forthcoming soon. Advancing past the first round is absolutely paramount for this team.

8. tinman

Supporting Member

Avery Johnson got fired too and he's sitting with the other fired coaches on TV.

You will want him fired too, it doesn't matter.

Careful for what you wish for. Look at the Mavs and Suns now, after they got rid of their coaches.

9. OlajuwonShake34

I'd want him fired too, if he also fails to get us out of the 1st round like JVG and possibly RA not sure on him.

Avery Johnson also led that Mavericks team to the Finals, not to mention he took us out in the 2005 playoffs, where he led the Mavericks to a 16-2 record when he took over for Nelly in 2005.

I just think he's the perfect guy for us.

10. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Couldn't agree more. I said this in another thread, Adelman isn't perfect and this team is far from perfect but given the turmoil we've had this season I would say he's done a pretty good job.

11. tinman

Supporting Member

JVG and Rick have 3 NBA Finals under their resumes.

12. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Please demote OP to rookie. He's a Yao nuthugger, plain and simple.

13. tinman

Supporting Member

History lesson for you.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LQOcBL7hWIk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LQOcBL7hWIk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

14. OlajuwonShake34

You really don't think I knew he led the Blazers to 2 NBA Finals? I know that, but that's not the same team we have currently. Again, I just hope we can win, if we don't then he should leave. All I am saying.

15. tinman

Supporting Member

yes because your argument for Avery Johnson is that he took the Mavs to the NBA Finals.

if Avery Johnson took over, he inherit the exact same team and problems we have.

Look how long Rick Adelman coached in Portland and look how long Avery coached in Dallas. 2 > 1.

16. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Rick also had success with a different team as well (Sacramento) 3>1

He's more proven than Avery.

17. paulnhbtx

paulnhbtx Member

Rick is a great coach but if I had it my way I would bring back JVG!!!

18. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

I can't think of a team that's been plagued by injuries to their stars as much as the Rockets have been over the last two years.

But what did we do while Yao/T-Mac were injured?

- 22 game winning streak.
    - 55-27 record w/home court advantage in 1st round.
    - 43-25 record in third place of the highly competitive Western Conference in, by far, the best Division in basketball.

And you want to get rid of this guy? Are you nuts?

19. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

I have no problem with Rick Adelman as far designing game plays. His offense is much better than JVG's stagnant offense. The problem is game strategy and discipline. That is why he is called the "players' coach." He lets players do whatever they want sometimes and failed to discipline them.

His substitution strategy is weak. When the game is on the line and you see your PG getting killed out there because he can't play defense and you have a chance to put Lowry in ...why didn't you do it?? Why being so arrogant and go with the flow?? This is another problem...he likes to go with THE FLOW...in other words, if i player is playing good especially shooting or because he needs his shooting, he's willing to leave that player on the court even though he can't play shyt on defense.

It's little things like that that i hate about his coaching strategy. I dont' have problem with his play calls..it's the strategy that bother me...He needs to wise up and be smart about this.

20. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Oh, and yes we did get bounced in the first round to Utah last year with Rick Adelman coaching.

We had no Yao Ming.
    We were missing our starting PG for a few games.
    We still brought it to a game 6.

We'll see this year. If we get out of the first round, will you STFU?