1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is it time for Rick Adelman to go?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OlajuwonShake34, Mar 15, 2009.

?

Is it time for RA to go?

1. Yes

193 vote(s)
    42.2%
  2. No

264 vote(s)
    57.8%
  1. OlajuwonShake34

This is not a hate or bash thread on Rick, but in my opinion I truly believe it's time for him to go. Tracy McGrady is probably done as a player, if he ever comes back he's never going to be the same one we saw in Orlando or the way we saw earlier as a Houston Rocket.

In my opinion, when we got Rick it was more suited for Tracy to play in this system than to Yao. Rick's system is also more so for a team with no real superstar. But we do have a superstar and his name is Yao Ming. You can argue all you want if he's a superstar or not, but clearly he should be the focal point and he should clearly be treated like a star on this team.

During his Sac-Town days, their really was no "Go-To Guy" and really no superstar on that team. They just had a very good all-around team and very good role players. RA's system is also similar to a run and gun system and up tempo offense, however our players are clearly more suited for a grind it out offense and to walk the ball up. Especially with Yao Ming on our team, we are suppose to walk the ball up and just feed it to Yao. We are not the showtime Lakers with Yao being similar to Kareem. We are the Houston Rockets, who in my opinion are better at walking the ball up and grinding it out on offense than playing a high tempo offense like the Phoenix Suns.

We need a coach who's gameplan is to do nothing but give the ball to Yao Ming, because we are going as for as Yao takes us. He's the leader, he's the best player and he's the only one that can take this anywhere right now. In my opinion, Avery Johnson is probably the only coach who currently doesn't have a job that should be coaching. I know I have been repeating myself for a while on this forum about hiring AJ. I just truly believe he could do a lot under this team and core group of players. If you ask me, AJ is similar to JVG except he knows how to run an offense.

The Mavericks under AJ were 1st at offensive rating during the 05-06 season and also 11th in Defensive rating which is pretty solid. The same season he and the Mavericks went to the NBA Finals. His offense was to give the ball to Dirk and most of the time walk it up. He often times would actually mix it up between walking the ball up or running and gunning. However, the next season in 06-07 where Dirk won the MVP, the Mavericks got much better defensively and kept their offense. I believe he would do a perfect job here, he would restrict Aaron Brooks from possibly ruining our offense if he starts making mistakes. I believe he would manage Yao's minutes quite well, I also believe that he can get Yao back on track to the type of production he was getting pre-injury in the 06-07 season. I just think with the type of mindset Avery Johnson has, He could lead this team anywhere.

I love Rick Adelman and I have deep respect for him as a coach, but I believe that this group of players do not fit him. I think a team where he could be needed would be the Detroit Pistons. They need to get better offensively and defensively and they really have no star on that team.

2. uchlha

uchlha Member

you are on crack.. we will not get rid of rick adelman ever unless he decides not to return as coach.

3. OlajuwonShake34

And what happens if this team fails to get out of the 1st round again? I hope the excuse of No T-Mac is going to be use. Nice 1 star too. :rolleyes:

4. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

this deserves a lock.

5. ibm

ibm Member

obviously not right now. no way.

after the season? unless we can get a better coach. and there aren't many better.

so, no.

6. OlajuwonShake34

Why because you don't have the same opinion as me? People have their own opinions you know, it wouldn't be a forum if we all agreed on everything. SMH.

7. OlajuwonShake34

Of course I am talking about right now because IT would be way too random. I just believe when this season is over, depending on how things work out. We should get another coach. Right now, we do not look like we are NOT on pace to do much damage in the playoffs.

8. uchlha

uchlha Member

why do we not get out of first round? its not on the coach i can tell you that. tmac being out for the season may have a reason for that.. and a number of things can happen in playoffs: injuries, artest being artest, AB going cold and turnover prone..

9. oschadha

oschadha Contributing Member

Right now I say no. In the future, it all depends on if we win. If we win, everybody is happy. If we remain a 2nd tier team, Adleman's relationship with Yao will pretty much determine whether he stays or goes. For this team, Pop would be the perfect fit. But that is not happening.

#9 oschadha, Mar 15, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  10. OlajuwonShake34

EDIT: I am NOT talking about right now.
    And you don't think the Coach has nothing to do with that? RA is TOO laid back. Maybe, I am just frustrated about how this team has been playing recently.
    I agree, I am not really talking about at this very moment because we don't know how things will work out. But with the way I see it right now, we do not look good at this point. Maybe the team is saving their A game in the playoffs. I don't know.

All I know is from what I see in games, Yao does not look too effective and the Rockets make too many mistakes.

11. worzel gummidge

For a team with no stars they sure have a lot of players better than Yao Ming.

12. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

This is all screwed up because there is no real system with a person of Yao's size and skillset ever in the NBA, so Adelman has to try to create something new at least. But definitely don't let go someone with the success that Adelman has. THere is no good replacement, just a bunch of people that will FAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Clyde Drexler - better than Yao Ming. Chris Webber - better than Yao Ming.

OP - how old are you?

14. OlajuwonShake34

Wtf? When did I say Yao is better than either one of them?

Chris Webber was a star, yes. But he has nothing in common with Yao Ming, and neither does Clyde Drexler. How old are you? :rolleyes:

15. bamtonio

bamtonio Member

stop making so many threads

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Just like with JVG, if the Rockets can't get a better (or supposedly equal) coach as a replacement, it would be foolish to let Adelman go. He's got a lot of flaws, but you have to be logical and not emotional when deciding on a coach's fate.

17. ibm

ibm Member

you don't make your move unless you have a plan or target in mind.

ab needs to remember this too. :cool:

18. Gakatron

Gakatron Contributing Member

Why do you feel the need to start so many threads?

19. OlajuwonShake34

Well, I already a listed a coach I had in mind. Again, I have no problem if Rick Adelman stays IF WE WIN. If we go as far as JVG took us in the past, then It's time for him to go. Although, It might be unfair since T-Mac and Yao didn't play together that much. I listed that T-mac is probably done for a Houston Rocket or even as a player. I am not sure about it. As a fan that wants a team to win and succeed I do not have much confidence in Rick Adelman.

Stick with the Topic, and stop going off-topic.

20. choujie

choujie Member

RA is still a good coach. But he needs to make players more disciplined at the end of the game, and draw better plays.