1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is it the players or is it the Coach?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tycoonchip, Jan 9, 2016.

1. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

We're watching Morey trying to blow this team up right before our own eyes and it makes me question is it the coaching staff that he has in place or the players itself that is the problem. Now if Morey had replaced Mchale with a guy like Poppavich, Phil Jackson, even Thibs, I feel like most of us would say it was the players that just don't fit the coach's system. Now plug in an inexperienced coach such as Bickerstaff or a guy like Mchale who is known to be a little bit on the shallow end of the X's and O's, are we still blaming the players? The loss of both DMo and Josh Smith this season I feel was our biggest blow. We lost our ability to space the floor to create space for Harden and Lawson to drive, defend larger 4's, and importantly we lost someone capable of passing at the 4/5 position. With this being said, as much as the Capella Dwight duo is cool to watch is it ruining the spacing of the floor when neither of them can shoot anywhere but from inside the paint or alley oops. This again I feel is a major coaching issue and before Morey decides to blow up this team, the coaching needs to be addressed.

2. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Both. System and holding accountability is on the staff, effort and willing to play for your teammates on the players.

3. photojoe

photojoe Member

Is it the players or is it the coach?

Yes.

4. OpenLayup-Why3?

Dwight and Capela lineup is great. NBA is heading towards twin towers lineups, just look how amazing Memphis plays with such model.

5. Jontro

Jontro Member

It's the other team's fault for stealing our W's.

6. bmd

bmd Member

7. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Coach more than player. McHale did lasting damages to Harden and the Rockets.

8. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

Obviously both but if I had to choose... Coaching

Could we really win with this staff if Morey pulled off miracle trades to upgrade the players?
    I believe this roster has a similar ceiling (a bit higher) of last years team if used correctly. We need to use Lawson more at this point and let him run more of the offense. He has been more aggressive lately. Also play Thornton much more so we can have actual shooters in this "shoot as many 3s as possible" system.

9. theREALDEALkid

It's obviously the coaching and its not even debatable.

10. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

This.

People don't understand the impact (horrible) that McHale had on the these group for about 4 years. Letting them freestyle, holding no one accountable. playing lackey to Harden, it all adds up. It will take a while to fix all the bad habits these players have developed under McFail.

That is why I didn't wnat him in the first place and wanted him gone the moment I realized he is destroying our superstar and in the process our franchise.

11. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

It's a combination of a bad system, initiated by poor coaching, and executed by entitled players who simply don't give a damn. There is no quick solution, aside from burning it down and building it back up again without the gimmicks. Even at it's best, this system is not sustainable, and even with maximum effort from competent performers it would be beaten in a playoff series by better coached teams such as the Spurs. It is a failed experiment. Burn it down.

1 person likes this.
  12. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

perfectly stated, i'm sad to say

13. dmoneybangbang

What exactly is our system again?

14. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

this is the problem with the rockets in a nutshell

exactly. what system?

15. Newlin

Newlin Member

Almost entirely on the players. We won 56 games last year, and 54 games the year before that with McHale and Bickerstaff as coaches. What changed? Well, the effort from the players changed.

Remember what Harden was talking about all last season? He was talking about how he wanted to be a better leader. He wanted to be a leader both on and off the court. Where has that passion and desire to be leader gone? After last season Harden got all the accolades and praise. He signed 200 million dollar shoe deal. Does Harden still have that burning desire to be the best?

Also, we had players like Pat Beverley(who I think has played pretty well) and Corey Brewer sign new contracts. Maybe the entire team just isn't as motivated as it was last year.

As far as the coaching is concerned, nothing has really changed. There is no good reason why the players can't play as well as they did last year.

I do think that players tend to tune out coaches after a few years. Sometimes a coaching change can help, just so the players are hearing a new voice. I don't necessarily think McHale or Bickerstaff have coached poorly this year. I just think the players are unmotivated and have tuned the coaches out. I do not blame the coaches for this. The players get payed a lot of money to play hard every single game. Lack of effort is entirely on the players in my opinion. It's just too easy to blame the coaches. The same coaches coached a team decimated with injuries to 56 wins last year.

1 person likes this.
  16. KePoW

KePoW Contributing Member

Definitely both.

But obviously I don't blame JB in this situation, because he's just an interim coach for this season.

17. Rocket4Life11

Rocket4Life11 Contributing Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vFofKGKlWo4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

LOL ... our system?
    <iframe src="https://vine.co/v/i7j0eaWplzD/embed/simple" width="600" height="600" frameborder="0"></iframe><script src="https://platform.vine.co/static/scripts/embed.js"></script>

Don't mock it, at least they're in sync!

(p.s) They do need a BETTER choreographer though...:eek:

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't say it's entirely on the players. But no one can dismiss the fact that we won a lot of games the past two seasons with the same coaching staff.

That said. The coaching deficiency has been evident even when we went all the way to the WCF, as well as the weak mental capacity of the players.

20. cheke64

cheke64 Member

The majority of the people here a stupid. Its just a circle jerk of who can swallow the biggest weiner.

Nobody here wants to the true reality of what it takes to be a winner. We are far from it.