1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is it still possible to sign Corey Brewer? Any room left?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meekg, Jul 7, 2013.

1. kissOFdeath95

kissOFdeath95 Member

I wouldnt mind giving the room exception to Elton Brand.

He can hit a jumper. Grab some boards. 20-25 mins a night. And brings some good exp to our roster.

2. Skyhoop

Skyhoop Member

No. The max number of years is 2 for a Room MLE contract.

For a 4yr contract, you need free cap space, which the Rockets spent on Dwight.

3. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

We are actually extremely front loaded

Howard, Asik, Casspi (3 and 4), D-Mo, Smith, Jones

Assuming Howard and Asik take over 5 Dutys.

That leaves Jones, D-MO, Smith and Casspi manning the 4

Each of those guys has their own unique way of playing so the Rockets will play them situationally I'm sure and hope that one of them shines each night, each one I'm sure expects some minutes.. and rightfully so deserves a chance to shine in the NBA.. Jones, Smith and D-Mo all showed that last year with D-MO trailing the pack. IF D-Mo stops rushing everything and trying to play faster then the game... I think he would be the PERFECT PF for our team. But sometimes it seems when he has the ball he has anxiety and rushes up a shot that he normally would make.. or fumbles it.. His anxiety/rushing limits his true game to come out.

However unless we make trades we really have NO room for another PF.. We need to focus on backup SG and PG

4. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

That is why Smith, Jones, or DMO will be going away with Omer.

5. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

I honestly don't think the Rockets want to remove Lin. He plays a huge part in the Rockets transition offense and setting up guys with his court vision and creative passes. Without him, I doubt the Rockets even make the Playoffs last year. You tend to forget that there are times when the Rockets offense is stagnant because they just doesn't have anybody to generate offense beside Harden. Now with Howard in the lineup, i bet you 100% Lin's assist is going to be way up at least 8 to 9 assists per game.

Beside, who do you think is better than Lin...seriously...beside the shooting...who IS BETTER out there in the free agency market?? I doubt Calderon is better..sure he shoots better..but does he attack and push the ball up court like Lin? Beverley, can he do that?? I don't think so. Only haters will believe in that and want to trade Lin.

6. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

We need to get rid of Anderson and some other garbage players like Olber...(spell check)....we need to use the Exception to sign either Brewer or Gibson.

7. Skyhoop

Skyhoop Member

You are correct. Salary Cap Exceptions allow you to go over the cap, but they don't allow you to exceed the maximum roster spots.

During the off-season, a team can have a max of 20 roster spots. During the season, the max is 15.

So you can have 20 guys on your roster fighting it out in summer league and training camp. But you need to cut them down to 15 when the season starts.

8. Skyhoop

Skyhoop Member

You can temporarily go above 15 if you can get a hardship dispensation from the league, but those are extreme cases. Like with the crazy amount of injuries on the T-Wolves last year.

9. hoopstar39

hoopstar39 Member

Trade Lin and GSmith for PF(Tristan Thompson?) and sign a shooting PG with exception (Daniel Gibson?)

Bev/PG/Canaan
    Harden/Cisco
    Parsons/Casspi
    PF/Tjo/Dmo
    Howard/Asik

10. Swishh

Swishh Member

First, Cavs would laugh at that offer, but I think they'd consider it if you switched Lin for Asik.

Also, why would they want to pay someone 20 mil in 2 years for someone that is going to be a 3rd string PG (playing behind irving and jack) ?

11. AXG

AXG Member

Ohlbrecht is the only definite cut. Then it's down to Covington, Anderson and Casspi for the final roster spot, most likely Anderson is cut due to contract being non-guaranteed.

12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I imagine the back court rotation looking a little like this

Lin(28), Beverley (20)
    Harden(36),Garcia(8),Lin(4)
    Parsons(34),Garcia(14)

No need for Brewer now, unless we plan to play parson at the 4 for 20-25 mins a game.