1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is it possible that Morey is doing nearly nothing this summer?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by coweye, Mar 26, 2013.

1. coweye

coweye Member

When i look at the class of the Free Agents this summer is there anyone who can help the Rockets becoming a serious contender???
    1. Chris Paul - will stay with the Clippers
    2. D.Howard - just if Daryl doesn't care about team chemistry
    3. Andre Iguodala - we dont need him
    4. Al Jefferson - just as PF(Asik and Jefferson aka Lethal Weapon)
    5. Josh Smith - not a max deal worth and he wont help us
    From those 5 i would take Jefferson because CP3 won't be available

Or Morey hopes that 2014 a guy telling ESPN:
    "I take my talent to Houston,Texas and i will accept that the Rockets are Hardens team"

2. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

Morey does more in his sleep than you do in a year, so no, he's not doing nothing this summer.

Even if we don't get one of those "top" FA's, we'll strengthen the team somehow (draft, FAs, key pieces, upgrading assets).

3. andersongo

andersongo Member

Morey is to Basketball what Harry Redknapp is to football....in other words, to answer OP's question, not a *****ing chance.

1 person likes this.
  4. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Daryl will pitch Howard and Josh Smith on coming to Houston to play with Harden, forming a new Big 3 that can contend with any team in the league ...for years.

If Howard doesn't bite, it's hard for me to see us locking up Josh Smith considering the depth of young talent we have on the roster at the 4 spot.

5. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

'member that time Morey said he wasn't going to do much before the deadline then traded half the Rotation?

2 people like this.
  6. coweye

coweye Member

This would include minimum one sign and trade deal. Atlanta already wanted Asik and Parsons. So Morey would have to go first after Howard. But i dont think that Morey would give up Parsons.

7. arjun

arjun Member

morey is going to sign smith and use that to lure dwight. but he will do it at the simultaneously because he does not want to be stuck with a maxed out smith and no dwight.

8. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

I like how we don't need Iguodala even though he's one of the best if not the best perimeter defender in the NBA and we need perimeter defense.

9. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

1 person likes this.
  10. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Asik should be enough for Atlanta to do a sign and trade, especially if they are facing losing him for nothing. Plus, we shouldn't be offering more than $5 million more to Smith in a sign and trade than what Asik makes, i.e. first year of the deal coming in at $13.3 million or less. We can't have three players making max dollars, or we will be in the same repeater tax territory that Miami will be in if they don't break up the big 3.

11. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Asik is the most important player on this team besides Harden. Unless we're getting D12, we shouldn't give him up in a S&T.

1 person likes this.
  12. coweye

coweye Member

If Morey is realy willing to go after Smith and Howard i hope he will make sure that both of them understand it is Hardens team. Look at Howard now with the Lakers.

13. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

Any rocket not on a max contract or rookie scale type contract is liable to be moved. I think Morey knows you get the best value when starting max level players, filling in holes with high performing rookies (like chandler), backups with second rounders or D-league call ups (like Smith and Beverley), and with any money left over waiting until the end of the offseason for that random vet who still hasn't found a home and offering him a cheap two year deal with a team option on the second year (like Delfino). That's why I think Asik and probably Lin are are not long for this team, Delfino will likely be replaced by another vet on a similar contract, and one day some of our rookies that we have grown to love will be traded for picks or younger rookies.

14. Kingshadaine

Kingshadaine Member

If clippers lose in the first round, cp3 will leave, everyone can see that the clippers aren't a title contender right now and are missing something

15. Sanity2disChaos

I see it as a all in or all for nothing situation.....I think we atleast attempt to go after both and to be honest i think we could sign Smith without Howard.I am not the biggest fan of a Smith and Howard frontcourt but I do see the defensive potential and the crazy athletisism those two would bring to the team. I really think its up to Howard ,if he is convinced L.A is not going to cut it and he rather win for years to come than be on an aging Laker squad set up for very little in the future; then his choice is easy.....HOUSTON.

Smith wants out so any team with money has a chance but again if he wants to win he would consider the best team with Cap space to sign him (but not for the MAX).....The ROCKETS

IT COMES DOWN TO MONEY(SMITH) OR FAME/POPULARITY (HOWARD)...OR WINNING (AND I MEAN CHAMPIONSHIPS)....POINT BLANK AND SIMPLE[/B]

16. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

pure speculation, and i would think otherwise. They are not that far away. I think it's wishful thinking that Paul walks away from more years and more money, walks away from a team in the contender conversation, with great chemistry, in a great city ....to play in Houston for less money. I think we have a better chance of getting Howard, considering the disfunction on the Lakers' roster, than we do Chris Paul. This too is pure speculation :)

17. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

18. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

It's possible that Morey won't do anything, but its highly unlikely.

With the number of good free agents this summer, I'm sure we are receiving a huge SPLASH this off-season

19. arjun

arjun Member

agreed, dwights a weak ass hoe, he can provide what asik provides and alot more but i think we'd be better with keeping asik and trying our best to trade for an allstar PF.

then again a dwight/smith/harden trio would be pretty damn sick on offense and defense

20. rocketsfeeva

rocketsfeeva Member

If none of the big FA's, I can see Morey getting some more draft picks