1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is it not painfully obvious yet that the team is better without Patterson

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CXbby, Apr 6, 2013.

1. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

It's interesting that the rotation changed fairly drastically on deadline day:

Beverly for Douglas
    Smith/Dmo/Trob for Patterson/Morris
    Inserting Garcia into the rotation
    No more Aldrich at back up center

Yet, all the conclusions drawn seem to be at the fault of Patterson only.

Its almost as if posters have an agenda.

2 people like this.
  2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

That's the thing, I don't think Patterson was bad, I don't think he was great either. So I think both Herrera and Cxbby are being silly. As you rightly point out, it's not like Patterson leaving was the only roster change that was made.

We should just be happy that whatever was done has so far worked out great.

3. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

thanks man, you just highlighted one of my mispelled words that I'm going to blame and really big fingers. :p

So what you are saying is that things are not always what they seem? Beware of the man behind the curtain? I don't care I'm just gladd the Rockets are playing well and have had positive results since the trade deadline. I don't care why.

4. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KIs2mcKvRnI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5. Dacamel

Dacamel Member

That guy is good coming off the bench for like 8-12 mins a game...if needed. Was not a fan of him being our starter.

6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Here's the question - would the Rockets be a more dangerous team with 2Pat starting over Smith or DMO? Absolutely. There's no doubt he's an upgrade over those guys.

1 person likes this.
  7. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Maybe your wrong and maybe your right but at the end of the day you have no tangable evidence to support your oppinion.

The Rockets had their biggest low point of the season (7 game losing streak) with PPat in the line-up and their biggest highs (wins against OKC, SAS and LAC) without PPat in the line-up. Your whole argument is only supported by mitigating circumstances (the natural growth of a young team, more forgiving schedule, catching teams on the wrong end of a back to back etc...) that are not easiliy quantified.

At the end of the day none of us know for sure if the Rockets would be as good, better or worse with PPat. What I do think we can all agree on is that the Rockets would still be in contention for a play-off seat with PPat in the starting rotation and we would still be heavy underdogs to come out of the 1st round of the play-offs.

Because of that I think it's safe to say that the Rockets trading PPat had very little effect (if any) on the team short term, however it is possible that getting DMo, TJones, Smith or TRob some minutes in a play-off game it could have positive results in future seasons. I think play-off experience really added to Aaron Brooks confidence and really helped in him becoming MIP a few seasons ago.

1 person likes this.
  8. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

You are basically rephrasing the same question that has been discussed in Carl Herrera and Cxbby threads and several other threads ad nauseum, then you state your own opinion and then you are saying "here's the question".

LOL WTF :confused:.

Welcome to last month.

9. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

For me personally, I really don't see what the anti-PP crowd is seeing at all, and its pretty obvious that Patterson was the best of all of them. The only thing I can come up with is that most fans really only pay attention to the last couple seconds of a play rather than all the movement and motion that occurs leading up to the shot.

Motiejunas was a train wreck as a starter both offensively and defensively. Robinson just isn't ready. Smith has been serviceable, but is still a one trick pony who seems unable to not foul a player within 2 feet of him.

Fans seem to need to villianize someone every year for some stupid reason and this year it just happened to be Patterson.

10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I am not talking long-term here nor do I disagree with the trade. I am only saying that for this season we'd be better of with 2Pat. DMO has been pretty much a disaster as a starter. The evidence in all the slow starts is there. He gets abused on defense and has been horrible with flashes of brilliance on offense. In other words he has a long ways to go. 2Pat would easily have given us better production and simply by knowing where to go. DMO was lost on D and still is at times. He's young and inexperienced. 2PAT is a vet relatively speaking.

I say we'd win 2 or 3 more games has we not made the trade. That said, it's not necessarily a bad trade. not for the reason you give above, but simply because 2Pat wasn't a great player and it isn't worth locking up money for him. But as mediocre as 2Pat is, he sure has heck a lot better than Smith/Dmo/T-Rob right now.

11. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

The sad thing is that it even happens when we are doing far better than anyone could have expected. It makes me :confused:.

12. CXbby

CXbby Member

The last player you were hanging all over their nuts and crying about me villainizing was Aaron Brooks. He is now a third stringer barely hanging on to an NBA roster, just like I said he would be.

Instead of all the conspiracy and victimization and villainy, here's a thought: maybe you are just wrong. Again.

13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Do you have anything constructive to say here pertaining to the discussion?

14. Dat Dude

Dat Dude Member

Hahaha ownage

15. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I just did.

[​IMG]

16. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

What do you have to say about our much better record since franchise player Mook's departure? ;)
    He played 21.4 minutes per game for the Rockets this season.

17. CXbby

CXbby Member

Your data is incorrect. We were actually 6-2 with Morris starting when Patterson went out with his injury. During those 8 games both our offensive efficiency and defensive efficiency improved dramatically, once again giving credence to the idea that Patterson had a negative impact on winning. Remember, this was earlier in the season, when the team was still dealing with "context" such as building chemistry, tough schedule, Lin struggling etc. etc. Funny how those things only affected the team negatively when Patterson played.

#117 CXbby, Apr 8, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  18. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Interesting. But it is correct that we are 20-9 since Morris and his 21.4 MPG left, correct?

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Look, let's leave this stuff out of the GARM, agreed? I'm here to talk Rockets, not deal with any issues you have towards me.

20. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

You are overestimating your importance. I would have pointed the idiocy out if anyone else had posted the same crap. It just affects you more often because you apparently have more idiotic posts - even in the GARM.