1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is it just me or is Stone building a team to beat the Lakers?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, Nov 24, 2020.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Forgot to mention, we signed Mason Jones Jr. as well.

With Stone, Masonry, and Wood the real time strategy is coming into focus.

2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

LOL. Stone has done a granite job so far.

(The excitement around here is kind of bizarre for a bunch of journeyman and unproven players. I'm excited to watch them, but the word "Lakers" doesn't factor in at all.

With Schroeder alone the Lakers got a player better than anyone we picked up, and who carved us up pretty well just recently. Wood and the minimum-boys' defense will be nowhere near as impactful as Robert Covingtons, and I doubt Cousins is better than even Marc Gasol at this point in time.)

#82 napalm06, Nov 27, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
    Downtown Sniper likes this.
  3. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Schroeder will be great playing off of Lebron as he was off CP3. Wood off Harden can be just as impactful if not more though and in all seriousness Marc Gasol is not better than Cousins even right now. Covington I liked on defense but even his defense is overrated I'd actually like to see a better defender for us at the 3 but he was the best we had and it sucked to lose him and now have to rely on Tucker who is north of 35 years old now.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  4. Reeko

Reeko Member

[​IMG]

with Westbrook on the squad, we are not built to beat the Lakers or any smart defensive team

Lakers didn’t even attempt to guard Russ...according to Second Spectrum, Russ shot 29% on catch and shoot threes last season, and let’s not even talk about his poor decision making

How Silas will manage Westbrook’s enormous weaknesses and try to counter Harden double teams will be the very interesting.

justtxyank likes this.
  5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Jeff also became a more reluctant passer versus Lakers.

In your example, Harden is doubled mid court, Jeff has ball at elbow and AD and Caruso are sagging off him.

He has Russ wide open at the arc and EGo wide open at right corner. If he fakes elbow jumper then pass to corner, there is no way Lakers can close out on EGo in time.

Instead Jeff holds ball too long allowing double teamers to re-set D or he whips it to Russ who settles for uncontested but inefficient 3.

jch1911 likes this.
  6. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Yep I think that you're right. That's why I wish that Harden's people would stop complaining. They're building a powerhouse contender around him again on the fly. And if Boogie can stay healthy and get to at least 80% of what he used to be, which I think he is more than capable of doing and some health willing, the Rockets will be a major force.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

KingCheetah likes this.
  8. D-rock

D-rock Member

Rockets are still one move/acquisition away from doing this.

Until then Rockets are middle of the pack, maybe top 5.

9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

8-Man Veteran Rotation:
    Cousins
    Wood/ PJ Tucker
    House/McLemore
    Harden/Eric Gordon
    Russ

Youngsters we're looking at:
    Kenny Wooten
    Chris Clemons
    Jae Sean Tate
    Nwaba
    Mason Jones
    Kenyon Martin Jr.
    Sterling Brown
    Bruno Caboclo
    Issuf Sanon

Of the youngsters, 1) who do you see making a significant rotational contribution this season, if any? 2) who has star potential down the road, if any?

#89 Aruba77, Nov 28, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
  10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Sanon is not playing for Rockets this season, maybe ever.

Kenny Wooten and Mason Jones are on 2 way contracts. Don't expect too much from them.

Only David Nwaba, Sterling Brown and maybe Bruno Caboclo will break into regular rotation.

That is a bit of a downgrade from Jeff Green, Austin Rivers and Thabo Sefolosha. Even Demarre Carroll and Luc Mbah a Moute were more proven and productive than the current bench depth.

Shark44 likes this.
  11. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

AD w/ the constant def 3 sec, constantly ignored by capers/silver of course

D-rock likes this.
  12. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Sterling brown is now coming off the bench with Eric gordon and pj tucker who was a starter. I think we're alot deeper than alot of people think. Boogie just knock on wood needs to stay healthy. The only thing we are lacking is just a little more length at the 3. What I would do to have a 30 yr old Trevor Ariza start at the 3 for us.

13. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hmm, there are two competing strategies at play. The sons of Rod Higgins, Paul Silas, and Kenyon Martin are all converging on the Rockets as well. Rumor is, they relate well to Patrick Fertitta, who is also somebody’s son.

14. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Agree with your 3 picks. Also believe Bruno will have to pick up some bench slack early on if Cousins isn't ready or we don't pickup another 4/5. I guess we can run Wood and PJ into the ground or play small ball, but doubt that's what Silas wants to do.

D-rock likes this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Member

The problem is that Rockets have too many back up guards (McLemore, Clemons, Jones, Thomas, Brown).

Again.

And fewer back up forwards but these 3/4 players are undersized or lack length (Nwaba, Tate & Queen).

Again.

And a back up center that cannot play 5 out (Wooten).

Rockets rotation is unbalanced unless the plan is to continue to play small.

#95 D-rock, Nov 28, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
    Shark44 likes this.
  16. psaman17

psaman17 Member

If you still want to make that bet let me know. We can take it a step further and bet some stone cold cash.

I can do Paypal, Venmo or Bitcoin.

D-rock likes this.
  17. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

OVER RATED!

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Stone hasn't said a word since his introductory presser.

Who knows what he thinks.

19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

This isn't true. He did say something.

20. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Don't worry guys. AD is no match for Olajuwon reincarnate.

#100 Downtown Sniper, Jan 7, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
    daywalker02 likes this.