1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"Is it illegal to taunt the backboard?"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wink3, Jan 3, 2001.

1. wink3

wink3 Member

Calvin Murphy asked this question after Steve got T'd up for slapping the backboard. It's asinine to call that because you see players slapping the backboard all the time. You even see Elton Brand doing it in the the Sprite All-Star game commercial. This call only further reinforces my belief that the refs are completely terrible this year.

------------------
    I Bleed Rockets Pajama-Pinstriped-Blue!

2. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

Almost every time Steve's open on a dunk he does that.....and everytime they call it.

------------------
    Francis out top, 9 seconds on the clock, he gives a no look pass to Cuttino Mobley, 4 seconds left, Mobley passes to an open Langhi in the corner with 1 second left! Langhi at the buzzer.......YES!!! How Sweet It Is!!

3. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

The pathetic things is not only do I see it done ALL THE TIME, without anyone getting T-ed for it, college players do it on a regular basis. I think Francis gets T-ed up for it becuase he is a little guy and it is seen by refs as hanging on the rim, while big guys arms are so long they can hit the backboard while dunking in one motion and people rarely see it.

------------------

4. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Yeah, well bad calls aside, Francis should quit doing it if its going to be called on him every time.

------------------
    "Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning how to put food on their family while being put to death."

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I just think it's sad that athletes today can't show emotion without it being considered taunting. It's gotten out of hand in the NBA and in college football especially.

------------------
    "He was under more balls than a midget hooker."-Bobby Hill

visit www.swirve.com, coming January 20th, the top 10 films of 2000!

and, http://www.geocities.com/clutch34_2000 for great Rocket insight by some of your fellow BBS posters!

6. haven

haven Member

The taunting rules in college football have become ridiculous. Today, a WR for FLorida (Caldwell, I think) caught a nice pass, made a first down sign, and got flagged for a 15 yard penalty which stopped Florida from getting 3 points. Granted, knowing the rule, he shouldn't have made the sign...

but the rule is idiotic. Really, the guy wasn't being malicious or anything, he was just happy he had made a pass. I agree that the throat slashing gesture should probably be banned... but a first down sign? That's going to hurt sports in the long run... part of the fun IS getting so excited.

------------------
    Shandon Anderson rocks.
    The lottery sucks. Playoffs 2001.

7. Miggidy Markell

Why should Franchise stop it?? Why doesn't someone do something about this call?? Has there been any complaints?? This has to be fixed! [​IMG]

------------------
    Miggidy Markell says:

1. Eastcoast is da sh*t
    2. Rockets rule
    3. Hip/Hop is dope
    4. Buy the new Ruff Ryders album!

Miggidy Markell is watching
    Stay STRAPPED & WATCH ya back or be Assimilated.

8. davo

davo Contributing Member

It is getting ridiculous - you're not even allowed to have your mascot run on to the field to celebrate after a score anymore.

------------------
    Maybe all the rulers are wrong.
    Current Rocket's Salary & Contract Info

9. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Hanging on the rim is illegal -- period. It should be called more often. Shaq-fu started it with his ridiculous leg kickouts when dunking. Doing a chin-up on the rim and then slapping the backboard shows little class, IMO.

------------------
    "Why can't dip be a meal?" -David Puddy

The Hunger Site

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Francis needs to quit doing it, PERIOD !!

He needs to show more class, I don't want him to turn into a Gary Payton class punk.

DaDakota

------------------
    If Mankind evolved from Monkeys and Apes, then why are there still Monkeys and apes?

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

YEAH YEAH HE SHOULD STOP IT
    HE SHOULDN'T EVEN DUNK . . . JUST DO LAY UPS
    2 PTS is 2 PTS

FORGET ALL THAT . . .THAT , . . THAT ENTERTAINING STUFF
    JUST WIN and SCORE!!! YEAH YEAH YEAH

LAY UPS!!! 10000$ DOLLAR FINE ON ALL SLAMMERS!

YEAH YEAH . . SLAMMING IS TAUNTING

or
    NBA players can grow up and get a thicker skin
    you make millions doing something you love
    but HE HURT MY WIDDLE FWEELINGS!!!

F*CK THAT ****
    Taunting is part of the game. . . Maybe they
    should all wear masks so they cannot show
    facial expressions. . . Be emotionless

I KNOW CYBERBALL Basketball Edition

Rocket River
    Taunting is a bullsh*t call EVERYTIME!

------------------

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I can't believe I just read that slapping the backboard is not "classy".

These guys are playing an emotionally charged game. When they make a big play, there's no reason why they can't do a little something to celebrate. Slapping the backboard, or even hanging on the rim takes away absolutely nothing from the game and it sure as hell doesn't make the player doing it not classy.

But, I guess y'all consider Elie not classy for the whole "Kiss of Death" thing, which, IMO, is a lot less classy than slapping a freakin' backboard.

------------------

and, http://www.geocities.com/clutch34_2000 for great Rocket insight by some of your fellow BBS posters!

[This message has been edited by Rocketman95 (edited January 03, 2001).]

13. cson

cson Contributing Member

CLASSY!?!
    This is Men Fighting to Win!!!
    Not SCRABBLE!!!!!
    Christ, it's not as if Steve pissed on a guy!!!!!

------------------
    C-son

14. Live

Live Member

I've heard all the arguments about the emotion and exuberance of playing the game, but the fact remains that Steve needs to stop slapping the backboard when he dunks the ball. The refs are calling techs on him every time, and he needs to find another way to express himself on the court.

Think of it this way:

A man goes to the Doctor and says "Doc, my arm hurts when I do this". So the Doctor says....

If you know the refs are going to call a tech every time you slap the backboard, wouldn't you stop slapping the backboard?

My fear is that such antics will hurt the Rockets one of these days. Consider this: Steve makes a beautiful move and dunk, but gets hit with tech for slapping the backboard, destroying the excitement the play has created. The opposition makes the tech, and remembering that they have the possession, come down, convert on the possession, draw a foul, and make the preceeding free throw. What could have been a momentum-building play by Steve has now turned into a 3-4 point turnaround, which in a close game could be the difference between an L or W.

------------------
    "ON-BEE-TAH-BULL!!", Hakeem Abdul Olajuwon, alumnus, University of Houston

15. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

If it's illegal and being called don't do it. It's pretty simple.
    Again it's an example of a player flaunting himself.

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I don't think he should continue doing it because of the technical fouls.

I just think it's a stupid rule and I really don't think it makes him look unclassy. I think that's the whole point of people who are trying to defend Steve. I'm pretty sure we all agree he should stop only because it's illegal.

------------------

17. Rocket Guard

Rocket Guard Member

LOL behad,that really brings back memories! [​IMG]

Back on topic,why did the league implement this rule?I would understand if it hurts a player or the game,but it just makes it better.The NBA is also a business which makes profit from the fans,and the fans want to see basketball and EMOTION.

Side note:I must really be a class-less guy because I just love taunting my rivals when I crush them like that.

------------------
    President of the Wink fan club and treasurer of the Moochie Norris fan club!!

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

All I said was that he needs to quit slapping the backboard, and show more class.

Nowhere did I say he should not celebrate. I play ball, still to this day, and you bet, I do some jawwing, but not CONSTANT jawing.

There is nothing wrong with exuberance, unless you are getting a TECHNICAL for it everytime, and thus hurting your team.

I have very HIGH hopes for Steve, I juat don't want him to become like Payton, who in my opinion is a terrible teamate, and classless basketball player.

DaDakota

------------------
    If Mankind evolved from Monkeys and Apes, then why are there still Monkeys and apes?

19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I am a fan and I don't care to see emotion. I don't care if he slaps the backboard or doesn't slap it, gets a T or doesn't. I have no feelings on its classiness and generally have nothing to add to this conversation. Except this: when discussing what is entertaining, speak for yourself; I don't watch basketball to see a man congratulate himself, or get frustrated, or angry, happy, proud or anything else; nor do I watch to see a man insulted, cowed, dominated, or otherwise disrespected. You can watch it for those things if you like, but I'd appreciate it much better if the players could leave all the testosterone-induced pissing contests at the door (well, maybe at a tree).

------------------
    RealGM
    Rockets Draft Obligations Summary
    http://www.gaffordstudios.cjb.net/

20. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I love seeing players happy and celebrating! When it is all said and done this is a GAME! I think people are losing track that this is a game and this is entertainment, and take the games a little to seriously. There are people that sit there and want to win so badly they lose the true fun in the game. Taunting, high-fiving, what's the big deal? The funny thing is the taunting and high-fiving doesn't bother the players, which should matter. In fact if it wasn't for things like trash talking and the like you wouldn't see players step up and take it to another level against other players or try to prove a point, like the Jordans and Bird and Magics of the world. Frustration, joy, excitement, high-fiving is part of the game. It's more then just turning on a game, watching to teams trade baskets for 2 hours and then turning off the TV, what's the fun in that? And if you don't get happy or have the adrenaline flowing during a close game you are missing the fun in the game. And if you DO get the adrenaline flowing, and then say you don't watch the to see players do that you're also missing the point of the game. Watching a player get happy or sad, or inspired shows me that it is a fun game and it is more then about winning and losing.

------------------