1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is it an Epic Fail if they lose #1 Seed?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Bobblehead, Dec 17, 2012.

1. magnetik

magnetik Member

Nah. but losing the division to the Colts and then losing home field in the playoffs would have been the definition of epic fail.

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Depends on how we lose em'. I think Minnesota will beat us and it's hard to beat a conference opponent twice but I'm not too worried about it. It's all about how we look out there, not if we win or lose.

First seed, second seed, won't matter if our ILB's cant cover or react to the run.

3. emjohn

emjohn Member

Epic fail would be a humiliating home defeat by a lower seed to end the playoffs in our first game.

Whether or not we have the #1 seed is only part of the real goal: making/winning the Super Bowl.

4. Fyreball

Fyreball Member

It can't be considered an epic fail when the Broncos are one game behind us. If we had a 3 game lead with 3 games to go, and somehow ended up losing it, then yes. But in this situation, absolutely not.

I will say this though......for a team that is 12-freaking 2, there are WAY too many Negative Nellies in this city. 12-2. 12-2. 12-2!!!

5. meh

meh Member

IMO, right now I would consider it par for them to reach the conference title game. SB appearance would be gravy. SB win would be very unexpected. 2nd round loss, whether on the road or at home, would be fail.

6. Bobblehead

Bobblehead Member

Exactly.

7. Nook

Nook Member

If the Texans wrap up the #1 spot.... get a bye.. beat the Ravens/Steelers and then lose at home to the Pats/Broncos winner...... is that an epic fail?

Football is very much a game of momentum and match ups.... I wouldn't consider that a failed season.

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

If your expectation at the beginning of the year was to get the #1 seed, then yes, it would be a failure.

But, I don't know anybody who began this season with that expectation.

So, let's try not to act like we're entitled to something we only just recently put ourselves in position to obtain.

9. Nimo

Nimo Member

It's been a while. They don't know what to do with themselves. Either that or they're watching too much ESPN.

10. Kam

Kam Member

I don't care long as we are in.

It's a fail, but not epic fail.

Epic fails are four touchdown leads with 30 minutes left to play.

Epic fails are bases load ground outs to Walt Weiss.

11. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

The amount of pessimism in this thread is only outnumbered by the amount of ellipses. There is no such thing "same old Texans" when they're 12-2.

12. Ras137

Ras137 Member

I would call it an epic fail. Because if we are the number one seed NE and Denver will most likely play in the second round. If we fall out of the number one seed, we will most likely have to beat both to get to the superbowl and one (if not both) of them on the road.

All I can say we better win next week. I don't want the last Indy game to mean anything, because most likely that game will mean the difference between the first and third seed. That's a lot of pressure.

13. LAYGO

LAYGO Member

Call me a debbie downer, but you haven't lived here long if you don't feel like I & evidently SWTsig.

I am a Houston * fan for life, but I'm also a realist. The last few weeks have tempered my belief enough that worst case scenario, I at least won't cry. ;)

14. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Member

No, it's not an epic fail. It would be one if we were to play the worst team and we lost, or if we don't win any playoff spot at all. :eek:

Houston Dynamo :confused: ?!?!?

15. solid

solid Member

We are old, been fans of Houston sports since we were children. If you had walked in our shoes, you would understand.

16. solid

solid Member

Thank you.

17. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Member

The worst we can do is fail, but epic fail?...nope

18. solid

solid Member

Agreed, I think the expectation is that the Texans at least make it to the AFC Championship game. Anything less will be huge disappointment. Epic fail is well defined above. A Super Bowl appearance would make me ecstatic and a SB win would make me cry like a baby.

19. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Epic fail is Portland, Oklahoma City, Los Angeles, cities without an NFL team. As long as we are in the dance, I don't care which seed, but of course having #1 is an easier path. In recent Super Bowls, seeding hasn't been a factor. In a 1 game playoff, anything can happen which makes this game great. In a series, we probaly can't beat the Patriots, Broncos and maybe Steelers, but in a 1 game playoff, I like my Texans.

20. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Member

You're not unique; stop pretending that you are. My son is named Campbell - *a lot* of us have been through the S.

We're in the midst of potentially the greatest football season in the history of this city. No Houston professional team has ever had the #1 seed; we've never hosted an AFC Championship game. It's only the second time we've ever had a bye. And we are witness to the rejuvenation of an all-time great and the emergence of a potentially transcendent player. And it's all being led by two native Houstonians, one of which has roots to the last greatest season in Houston professional football history (1979).

I feel sorry for those who think the Texans have only played two games all year (Green Bay and New England), or for those who are too anxious waiting for the rug to be pulled out from under them to enjoy it.