1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Isaiah Hartenstein ready to contribute?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by harold bingo, Jul 2, 2019.

1. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

More ready than Zhou Qi will ever be. I watched less G-League than in previous years, but he should be serviceable.

tinman likes this.
  2. JVL713

JVL713 Contributing Member

His G-League numbers are nothing to scoff at and I'm intrigued by his 3pt shot/work ethic/motor, but just from watching last year, I have some concerns on his God-given talent - IE things that I'm not sure will improve with time.

He seems incredibly heavy-footed and spends a lot of time on the floor, literally. Some of this can be mitigated with proper training and positioning, but I'm just not sure hes athletic enough. I remember early on in the season, Montrezl was just ABUSING him. Granted, this was very early on, but still, I have some concerns on his ability to match up with people far more athletic than him.

Having said all that, he does have good size and seems to be a very hard worker. Guys like that can sometimes overcome athletic deficiencies if they put in the work. I'd definitely offer him some spot minutes throughout the season to see where he's at in his progression as a player. Worst case, its another year of development in the G league.

3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Hartenstein has dominated the summer league and the G league. But seems a bit lost in the NBA. He just needs to LEVEL UP one more gear to the pace of NBA play. He is close to being a regular rotation guy. He needs to make the jump this season.

CXbby, ak99999, Huncho Bean and 3 others like this.
  4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I’m hoping he plays for us during the season and gets decent minutes to show what he can do, OP. Similar to what you pointed out that Clint got a few years ago. Given the time at that level, I think the game will slow down for him, the biggest thing he needs, IMO. He’s done all he can do in the G-League. I don’t know what else he has to prove there. Give him 15 minutes a game for dozens of games and let’s see what happens. Isn’t that why we have the guy?

snowconeman22 and harold bingo like this.
  5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I really think he can, and we probably don't have a choice anyway.

6. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I'm not impressed by inflated G league numbers as the scoring and rebounding rate does not transfer over. I'm hopeful he can contribute, but in the few NBA and G league games I watched he does not have a great feel for defense and looks a bit stiff. It's not really an experience thing as you can look at rookies like Chuck Hayes and Chandler Parsons and tell they can play defense. They were fluid athletes that could keep up with change of pace and be physical without fouling. Yes, I realize that Parsons later became a turnstile but I'm talking about early on. Hart might not have that and defense is where he'll earn his spot in the rotation, IMO.

Then again, I thought the same thing about Nikola Vucevic and the dude just became an all-star.

#26 MrButtocks, Jul 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    Naismith, harold bingo and mike2k132 like this.
  7. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Did even read....but I promise you Isiah is trash...never never never will he be the answer..eleven at back up.

8. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

he wont, his skills don carry over. Ever time I see him he falling all over the place out of control...n plays like he isnt tall....hunches I hate that..he needs to go to Europe

9. amaru

amaru Member

Mike won’t play him or Clark anyway so it doesn’t matter

LorneMalvo and tinman like this.
  10. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

He is :

1. a human fouling machine.
    2. he is at least 2 years behind Capela when Capela was still playing like sh't
    3. he is moving much slower and jump lower than Capela
    4. he has more butter on his hands than Capela.

11. HP3

HP3 Member

I think a better question is to ask if Gary is ready to contribute, and I think that answer is absolutely a yes. If he can become at least a 34% shooter, than he will play good minutes.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  12. junk151

junk151 Member

[​IMG]

jch1911 likes this.
  13. Newlin

Newlin Member

[​IMG]
    Hartenstein was born ready FOR ANYTHING!!!

bobloblaw likes this.
  14. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Everybody grab a watch, it's Hartentime!

15. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

After two games he looks...okay. Not as good as I expected after what I had read about him in the g league. He has some nice moves and has surprised me with his passing. I hope he gets some regular season minutes and continues to develop, but he still has a long way to go.

16. CertifiedTroll

He looks like his game is pretty well rounded... he just needs to slow down. He reminds me of dmo, with his skill and always being off balance.

17. Homey the Clown

It may not happen with the way the team is constructed and with MDA as head coach.

18. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

If he dies.

He dies.

19. Ratman

Ratman Member

Yeah i was going to bump this after tonight, i think he needs to play more physically but man, he did some stuff tonight that 7 footers arent suppose to do... i have hope but he is our backup center right now right? And i dont really see that changing...

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Hope so.

DD