1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Increased Flooding in Houston an Effect of Climate Change?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, Apr 18, 2016.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In many of the debates over climate change many state that they haven't been affected by it or that the affects aren't that visible. It does seem like there have been more major flooding events in Houston in recent years and am just wondering myself if this is an area here climate change is tangible.

Personally I'm hesitant to say all of these are due to climate change but want to put it out there for debate.

I'm not going to post this as a poll as would like to see more discussion than a yes or no or maybe.

To kick things off I see a few factors that could play a role:
    1. Houston has continually been developing a rapid pace and as such there is more hard surface (parking lots, roads, roofs, etc.) and these increase more run off and reduce the ability of the ground to absorb more water.
    2. The development of Houston has been draining the water table so it is gradually sinking.
    3. Development has reduced things like wetlands and forest land that provides natural barriers to Gulf storms.
    4. There is more reporting about weather so more people are aware of it.
    5. That Climate Change is actually playing a role as one of the predictions has been for more frequent and wetter storms in areas that are prone to such things.

#1 rocketsjudoka, Apr 18, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  2. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

all bad things (even the weather) are a product of human activity, and the only solution is forcible restriction of that activity

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Absolutely, everything is evidence of anthropogenic climate change. If it rains more, less, or exactly the same, it's climate change. If it gets hotter, colder, or stays the same, it's climate change. If there are more intense hurricanes or less intense hurricanes or if it's the same strength hurricanes, it's climate change.

4. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

detain all of the polluters.

rack them up in FeMa concentration camps

5. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

It's scientifically proven that El Niño & La Niña, specifically El Niño-Southern Oscillation, is the cause of this flooding.

Now you could argue, are the El Niño & La Niña cycles getting respectively stronger due to climate change? If yes, taking it further, is this climate change man made? Can't be proven at this point and maybe never.

All that said, Houston's concrete/strip mall paradise and lack of flood control public park projects exasperates the issues. I know that Mayor Parker, Greater Houston Partnership, Buffalo Bayou Partnership, and others have made some hay in this regard but it's about 50 years too late and even now still too slow.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Destroy everything emitting Carbon Dioxide and we'd never have to worry about storms ever again.

7. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

<div style="background-color:#000000;width:520px;"><div style="padding:4px;"><iframe src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/embed/mgid:arc:video:comedycentral.com:f52533cf-abec-40bb-a92e-b286b9ab653c" width="512" height="288" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="true"></iframe></div></div>

8. Northside Storm

9. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Water is our most precious resource - we should be thankful, as our cup overfloweth.

10. Northside Storm

so grateful.

[​IMG]

11. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

All the factors posted by the OP are true.

The city and county are doing a lot of flood control development, but nothing is designed to contain 12" of rain in 4 hours. Also, roadways are designed to be secondary rainwater confluences, the streets are usually graded lower than the houses and businesses.

It seems counter intuitive but we chose to live in a house fairly close to Buffalo Bayou.
    Immediately upstream we are protectected by 10,000 acres of flood control and our streets clear very quickly to the bayou drainage. We don't pay for flood insurance.

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I read that scientists pinned the yearslong California drought on La Nina.

Time to evacuate to Katy.

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Houston has always flooded, Judo. If it has gotten worse, it is likely due to all the oil and water/drinking water pumped out of the ground, lowering how high parts of the city are above sea level. Don't misunderstand me. I completely agree with the upcoming dire effects of climate change and fear for the future of my kids and any possible grandchildren I might have (if one of them ever gets around to it!). I just don't think it has had an appreciable impact on the Houston area. Not yet, anyway. It will.

14. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Heck, you could have saved me a post had you been a few of minutes faster. ;-)-

I moved from Houston to Austin in 1980 and this was a story long before I left. There were neighborhoods that had terrible foundation problems linked to energy companies sucking the oil and water out of the ground (as God intended!), causing subsidence, "subsidence" becoming a buzzword for companies repairing homes with cracking sheetrock and worse, of course (read a hell of a lot more expensive), those cracking foundations. That started at least back in the 1970's before I left, and probably first became a local news story in the 1960's, if not before.

16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes I remember has a kid it flooding but it seems like in the last 10 years it's gotten worse and more frequent. This could be a matter of perception but I'm curious if other factors are at work.

I'm not actually trying to have an argument but am curious what people think about this issue.

17. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Do you believe there is a lot of oil drilling in Houston?

Just LOL. Ignorance

18. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

What evidence would disprove climate change theory?

19. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

It seems like our roads and drainage just suck and are getting worse with more people moving in

20. Buck Turgidson

There was at one point. I remember the active pump jacks along Westheimer/Dairy Ashford/Highway 6 back in the late 70's/80's. It was apparently much more extensive on the east side.

The issue of subsidence has been studied extensively. It's mostly been caused by groundwater extraction, but oil and gas has had a non-negligible effect.