1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Iman Shumpert the secret key to winning the Chip?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dkoune, Mar 8, 2019.

1. elmotsangtt

elmotsangtt Member

House

icewill36 likes this.
  2. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

I agree. I’ve only seen shumpert a handful of games this season but my thoughts are that he lost a step defensively. Not sure if it’s the injuries but he gets beat it seems every single time someone attacks him driving to the rim. He can’t shoot since he’s played with rox. Not impressive at all. In fairness seems like he’s holding back a lot and figuring out how to play in this offense. Hesitant a lot. He needs to play like rivers attacking openings and shooting when free.

ilovehtownbb likes this.
  3. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

before he went out for extended games w/ the knee injury his man D actually looked decent, maybe he's gained some weight and needs to get back in shape. but his offense has been consistently horrid. most of his 3's are not even close, with a lot of them getting all glass and no rim lol. and his handles and passing are shaky. that inbound into CP3 last game was inexcusable for a pro player.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  4. YOLO

YOLO Member

#alternativefacts

5. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

exactly seems like u understand he just feeling his way right now since it's no need for him to do what rivers did when he got here. We needed Austin to be aggressive shump not so much

6. Samiam1234

Samiam1234 Member

I dont get why so high on him.. he has never averaged more then 9 points a game and is sub 40% shooter from the field... he is below average three point shooter and defender.. How could get this guy be key in anything..

icewill36 likes this.
  7. solid

solid Contributing Member

We are in serious trouble if he is.

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Someone please photoshop Shumpert's head to this pic.

[​IMG]

BamBam likes this.
  9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I don't think he's a perfect player by any means, but what i think we badly need is depth and defensive versatility. Shump has the ability to defend three positions on the court and he was shooting the 3pt at a very high level prior to leaving Sac-town. I think he just needs to settle in and get comfortable; his transition to Houston has been derailed by injuries so far. We need to give him minutes now so that he can be comfortable contributing in a role come playoff time. I think he has a chance to contribute; if he can help give Gordon and Harden a little more rest i think that can be really good for us.

Chamillionaire likes this.
  10. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

cleverly disguised D-mo thread

11. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Shumpert's not an elite defender, but he is way above average over the past 5 years. Silly to question that given it's based on such a massive amount of data across multiple seasons and teammates. We have a shortage of those. If the only difference between him and Rivers is FT shooting and height, he is going to contribute.

Maybe people are not aware that Rivers has been offensively terrible for us despite his good defense and it's becoming a constant losing battle putting Paul, Gordon and Rivers up against 6'7+ guys and watch them try to stop them. There's a gap there. We don't need a 3rd PG as much as we need another wing. It won't take much for Shumpert's 3pt% to eclipse Rivers' 31%. He's shot over 36% in his last 2 healthy seasons and we are going to place him in his more preferred positions too. Just give the guy time to adjust, and if it doesn't work out Rivers can come right back in.

Relativist likes this.
  12. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

@Easy as pie .... ;)

Easy and txtodd like this.
  13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Shumpert looks completely useless. Let's get rid of him.

Just saw him take (and miss) a very long two, then foul Dirk completely needlessly off the ball.

heypartner, Zboy and cdxiong like this.
  14. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

If you are known as a defender, and you let a 50 year old Dirk get a AND 1, and then let a nobody drive past you for a bucket the next trip down the court, it might be time to consider a career change.

15. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Apparently the key might be not to play him .

I'm not liking what I see so far .

I expected more guard skills and higher intensity on D .

Shooting I understand is give and take , sometimes you're hot , sometimes you're cold .....

But everything else needs to stay solid ... and it hasn't been so far .

It's still early , but we are coming up on the final stretch of the season .

16. sheb

sheb Member

Looks a little lost on defense
    Needs more reps before playoffs

17. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I said it on the first page and since the trade...CF overrates him like crazy

AXG and J.R. like this.
  18. cdxiong

cdxiong Contributing Member

With this rockets team, it is either fitting right in or doesn't fit. Rarely see somebody turn it around after struggling like this.

19. blackistan

blackistan Member

Better hope not

20. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Needed some production from him tonight with the team struggling and this guy lays an egg on both ends of the court.

Scrub.

Garner and J.R. like this.