1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Homework Really Necessary?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Shroopy2, Aug 23, 2008.

1. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

From an article in OC Family magazine about grades K through 8 mostly, not you college students ;)

Went into Subway and saw this magazine cover
    [​IMG]

First there was brief editor's note on the subject.
    http://www.ocfamily.com/t-EditorsNote_homework_necessary_debate0808.aspx

Then there was this article. Not too in-depth with crazy studies and numbers, just talking about it in general.
    http://www.ocfamily.com/t-CoverStory_education_school_homework_necessary0808.aspx

Here's what it says.
    *eek, no more article posting for me. Formatting kills brain*

For one thing, I actually do NOT have children. But we've all been in the homework process at some point. In school I would have agreed, er - The kids would certainly want to agree there's too much homework.

Consider the sources of the article ("OC Family - Moms. Kids. Life.") and how its based in liberal-at-times California and Orange County, where if you can't do it a nanny might can.

Any parents or instructors out there agree that too much take home work is being given out by schools? Or is it fine how it is? Is this a sympton of "lazy" and wanting already overly burdend schools to do everthing? Or is this really a sensible question? I mostly just found the question "interesting".

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I've always been very lazy about homework and a ridiculous procrastinator. I was in all Pre-AP/AP classes in high school and breezed through it. Honestly I don't remember having a lot of homework. Maybe Katy teachers were lax. When I got to college the demands hit me like a ton of bricks. So I guess in my opinion homework is important in grade school. You gotta develop some semblance of work ethic.

edit: oops, this is not moestavern19.

#2 moestavern19, Aug 23, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2008
  3. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

My high school was kinda small.

We actually had a geberal grade for Homework on our report cards. (To go along with the usual classes)

In all seriousness my "grade" came back - N/A.

As in Not applicable - because I didn't do any homework :D

4. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

The kid was physically ill from 3 hours of homework a night? Jesus...and we wonder why other countries are wiping the floor with us academically. Our precious little tykes just can't handle a little extra work.

5. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Sorry for the 2 post.

I was also going to mention that one of the few things I actually remember learning at school was the whole "i before e except after c" rule.

We'd learn that in English class, and then get sent off to our next class...

sCIEnce.

:D

6. Shaud

Shaud Member

Homework is the reason that I never failed a class through high school.

Got to college no homework and now I'm on academic probation.

7. yuantian

yuantian Contributing Member

homework is like practice in basketball. if you don't do it, you aren't going to be good in exams. :) if you are super smart, then you can just do a little bit of homework and still do better than people who do tons of homework.

8. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

No homework in college? Where do you go?

9. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

I always got homework in high school and I graduated with honors from UH...I HARDLY saw my sister doing any homework in her high school years...she just graduated this May so we'll see if she does well in community college, starting this fall.

10. Lil Pun

BTW, I think homework is good and therefor necessary but I do think teachers and professors can pile it on too high and too fast.

11. Shaud

Shaud Member

Well I was at a small community college called Greenville Tech. But I'm taking a break and as mentioned earlier on probation.

We had homework but I mean the teachers didn't check it and give us a grade for doing it.

12. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

could I see some documentation on that?

[​IMG]

13. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

lol That sounds like my situation. Whenever I do have hw for a class, and it's for a grade, it usually saves my ass when the teachers are calculating the grade totals.

14. Lil Pun

Yeah that's the trick in college. They assign homework and threaten to take it up at without notice. Most of my college courses didn't have homework but I think it was supposed to make you study more in order to learn the material. I have no idea what these professors are thinking though.

15. TrailerMonkey

TrailerMonkey Member

My thoughts exactly. Maybe the kid was just stupid and turned an hour and a half's worth of homework into three?

16. TrailerMonkey

TrailerMonkey Member

Well maybe it's telling that you did homework and went to a 4 year school while your sister had no homework and ended up at a community college. I don't know if that's the case but I wouldn't be surprised if it were true.

17. Shaud

Shaud Member

High School I always did homework and like you said it saved my ass. I'm pretty average when it comes to test though. I need to improve on my study habits.

18. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

QFT. I was pretty much the same way. I actually got alot of B's in HS, though because i just wouldn't do much homework. Thank God for the like 80/20 test to HW ratio. In HS, the homework is pretty useless, anybody whose semi intelligent can ace alot of the stuff with ease because the teachers spoon feed you everything. I think the only point to it is to teach you work ethic. HW in college is actually important, though. These are things you need to know for your career.

19. Shaud

Shaud Member

Yeah that is what they say, professors can be brutal. My biggest struggle was history, I'm not good at taking notes from hearing the teacher talk. I don't know what are the important things I need to write down. I end up writing down stuff that are not even on the test. My history classes were all test and it was brutal for me.

Right now I feel like im the Charlotte Bobcats of schooling.

20. Lil Pun

EDIT. Wrong thread.