1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Head gone?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 2Cleva, Jul 21, 2006.

1. 2Cleva

2Cleva Member

Many balk to the idea of Head being gave away from nothing but if you look at the numbers crunch its pretty obvious Houston is ready to part ways.

- John Lucas is close to signing a guaranteed 3 year deal.
    - Spanoulis was bought out of his Euro contract and signed for 3 years.
    - Houston just dealt for Snyder.
    - Alston and McGrady likely start at the 1/2 (with Battier at the 3).

If they aren't going to deal him, where is the room? Starting him on the DL is a waste.

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Yeah, I'm starting to suspect that we've overstocked on guards so that we can use Head in a trade for a big man.

3. Aloe

Aloe Contributing Member

There's no need to trade him just to trade him. Dallas is successful and they a 10 man rotation on many nights. We need all of the talent we can get, and we need to use that talent.

4. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I don't pretend to know anything about the trade rumors. But if Head is on the roster, he's not on the DL. I also think McGrady is the starting SG, but he's going to be playing a lot of minutes at SF. Assuming Sura doesn't play (which is a pretty safe assumption), Head is a significant 3rd SG. With Novak, the Rockets have 14 players on the roster. Bowen is obviously on the DL, after that it's Novak or Sura.

5. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Well we know that the Rockets offered Head in an attempt to move up in the draft.

As much as I love Luther, he is expendable and probably has the most value out of the players that are available.

6. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

I've been thinking the same thing. With adding 4 guards (one of which is another 6'3-6'4 combo-guard) and the fact that it looks like Sura will be back as well, there is not a whole lot of playing time for Luther. I think, being really the only player with any kind of real trade value, the Rockets have been exploring trades with him included. I would be surprised if he is on the roster come the start of the season.

7. thephatp

thephatp Contributing Member

Yeah, I'm still frustrated with the lack of talent we have on this team. I think people have gotten carried away with the idea of VSpan and JLIII joining and making a big difference. I guess they are hanging on to anything good, trying to put a positive spin on the offseason. At this point, they've done better than they could have, but certainly much, much worse than they could have, as well. I think too many people are disillusioned b/c of the VSpan news.

I hope I'm wrong.

But the fact still stands--we DESPARATELY need more talent on this team, and younger != talent automatically.

8. Drift Monkey

Drift Monkey Member

I still think Head is a signifigant 2 guard. Depending on the lineup, he oculd be the second or third string 2 to come in during a game, and possibly be a sparkplug we need if his shooting can stay consistent.

I really would like to keep him if we could...

9. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Battier has made RyBo redundant. RyBo is a waive candidate at this point, unless the Rox are seriously considering trading Battier and then would keep RyBo on the IR.

10. New Jack

New Jack Member

Luther’s proven more in his rookie season than any of the 3 guards the Rockets have added. I don’t see Spanoulis or Lucas cutting into Head’s minutes at all. They’re projects. Head’s is a proven commodity. You don’t trade away players that have promising rookie seasons after one season. What happens if Spanoulis or Lucas struggle their first season? do you just throw them away after one season? At some point, this team needs some sort of continuity. Find some young players, and keep them on the team for +3 seasons.

11. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Don't be so sure. Spanoulis looks like he is a bigger, stronger and more talented version of Head. If he starts to contribute valuable minutes early, Head may have to start worrying about playing time.

12. No Worries

The Rox currently have three combo guards: Sura, Head, and VSpan. Sura has health questions and VSpan is a project playing limited minutes his first year in the NBA. This leaves Head as our one known quantity as the backup 2 behind Snyder when the defensive matchup pushes TMac into 3 only minutes.

A healthy Sura might make Head trade-able, but a more likely scenario is that Head would only be traded in a deal that involved another 2 (or a blockbuster trade say for KG ;))

13. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Kill Bill would almost certainly have to win over JVG in camp before Head becomes expendible. That said, I get the feeling that Dawson is shopping Head and Howard as hard as he can in an effort to salvage the offseason.

14. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

I know JVG would like to move Luther not because he is disappointed in him but because he sees him as a 6'-1" 2 guard which he is trying to move away from on the roster.

15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

How is he more talented than Head, because he comes from Europe? Because he was a second round draft pick? Luther Head wasn't exactly a nobody coming out of Illinois last year - he was a second team AA and scored 16 a game as the leading scorer on an undefeated team (till the final) as well as a Wooden award finalist.

I'm not saying head is that great, but we don't know anything about Spanoulis yet other than a bunch of youtube highlights.

16. No Worries

A really big IF. A Head trade certainly would not be considered until VSpan proved himself, which I am not betting on in the short term.

17. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

We have gone from a bare cupboard in the backcourt to a bare cupboard in the frontcourt. Whereas I do not wish to give Luther up for naught, IMO the Rockets should use him to acquire another bigman, preferably a 4-5. If his legs and ankles are okay, Chris Mihm would be an excellent addition (plus he's a Longhorn ;) ). If Mihm is not healthy, then we need to shop as hard as a prospective bride seeking that perfect pair of wedding shoes.

There aren't too many PF-C prospects out there for us to acquire under the Rockets current budget constraints. If management can pull off a deal using Luther, Juwan and/or future second rounders, they might come off my D-List. :)

18. RocketsFan11

RocketsFan11 Member

DAMN!

I like HEAD....

19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

That's a good piont. I don't see rookies cutting into Head's time unless they demonstrably outperform him on a consistent basis in practice. However, I don't see it as 'they'll trade Head because the new guys push him out." I think they decided they were going to make a trade and that Head would be one of the key assets they'd offer, and since they are going to lose him they needed to sign a couple more guards to somewhat offset his loss.

20. thesaint

thesaint Member

I think Sura is done and will retire from what i hear from all the news. So that still leaves room for Head. Head could become a good SG and hopefully he improved his shots and can knock down 3pts. If Sura is done then i think Rox can use him in the rotation:

Yao/Mutombo
    JHO/Hayes
    Battier/Novak/Bowen
    Tmac/Snyder/Head
    Alston/Vspan/JL