1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Harden a top 5 player in the league?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by swyyyguy, Jul 26, 2016.

?

Is Harden a top 5 player in the league?

1. Yes

75.0%
  2. No

25.0%
  1. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

If they could ever get Anthony Davis and Harden matched up......

Championships.

2. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

James Harden 28.9 / 12.2 assists / 7.4 rebounds / 29.68 PER

These are all really great players. The winning does the talking this year because stats can't separate them yet. Also, LeBron has Kyrie, Durant and Curry have a super squad offensively, Leonard has Pop and Aldridge. So, Harden, Davis and Westbrook stand apart doing this stuff without a second star. Houston is 11-6, OKC is 10-8, and New Orleans is 6-12.

Harden and Westbrook both CARRY their teams to wins. Harden has the edge in that but some people see 2 loss teams as the keeper of the MVP. What's the voter's prerogative this year? What's their derogative this year? And are their constant comments on Harden's defense from last year an interrogative?

Harden can win MVP, but first he's got to win.

3. Exiled

Exiled Member

It's about time to start a new thread of : is Harden among top 2 players in the NBA

4. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

So far I think it's Harden and Westbrook. What they're both doing is incredible. Harden has had 4 games as the leading rebounder for both sides, Westbrook has done it 8 times with one extra game played. Neither are known for being rebounders and these guys were teammates? Presti is the worst GM in sports.

#444 don grahamleone, Nov 28, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
    ramotadab and Exiled like this.
  5. ricardo1979

ricardo1979 Member

To think the Thunder had both Westi and Jimmy in one team and over a few million blow it up.They tried to lowball Harden and thank god Morey pounced like a praying mantis.

ramotadab likes this.
  6. Joseph Ho

Joseph Ho Member

The only person on that list that is above Harden is Lebron James. There's no debate on that. But the rest is different. Kevin Durant as great as he is but the gap between him and Harden has narrowed by a large margin. He may be a much better potent scorer but Harden's scoring ability is not far behind but creating and making their teammates better, Harden is superior by a wide margin.

Other than Lebron being a sure fire number 1, Kevin Durant may hold the edge over Harden but the rest such as Curry, Westbrook, and Khawi, it is much debatable. Curry is a great player but he benefits more from a great team and a system that caters his strength greatly. Same with Khawi, though he is no doubt one of the best defenders ever. Westbrook, I'll just leave that for another day...

7. Joseph Ho

Joseph Ho Member

I know right. I wonder what the Thunder and Sam Presti thought of when they realized how special Harden is. The thunder having those 3 together will definitely be a dynasty and multiple championships would have already been obtained. Its a crazy domino effect honestly. The fact that they traded Harden away because they did not want to pay him a few extra more millions, which resulted from them never making it to the Finals again and Kevin Durant ditching town... The fact that they could have all three top 5 players in the NBA together and growing as a unit and continuing to build their chemistry.

ricardo1979 likes this.
  8. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

He's top 3 in my book.

LeBron
    Harden
    Westbrook
    Durant

9. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

This is in all honesty the 4 best players in the NBA no doubt.

I'm not even a Westbrook guy at all but he's doing work and his team is finding ways to win even if just barely.

Curry is the 5th best player, this season more than anything reaffirms what I already knew, harden got robbed of te MVP two years ago. Curry def deserved it last year tho.

Also having kd on his team who is clearly showing he's better while also being a better shooter is imo an eye opener. Turns out curry benefited more from that system/team than we all thought.

Also him being the best player over Lebron last year was a big reach by the Media, It's not even close. I'm sure that really pissed Lebron off.

Leonard is 6th. He's a stud but to me he doesn't rebound or pass as well as the top 5 guys do. He's by far the best defender of the group but also the worst offensive player.

7th you got AD who has alltime potential but I'll always take the elite guard/wing over a big in the new NBA. Plus as great as he is he should be getting more wins. At least be a .500 team.

Cp3 is 8th

After that you get to the allstar level guys like Paul George, cousins, Blake griffin Kyrie Erving who are studs but their not superstar guys who can be the best player on a contender. Kyrie is the only guy I think can maybe make that jump. He was the best player on the court in a few finals games and he's only like 23 years old. He's still super young.

Htownballer38 likes this.
  10. roslolian

roslolian Member

Yeah ok WB is a good player, but at the same time remember when Dwight was in Orlando and he was logging in 20 pts and 20 rebs a night? It's the same thing here WB is just hogging all the shots that's why his PER is so high. OKC is not chopped liver, they have a bunch of good players they aren't a one man band so for them to have a winning record isn't that surprising.

Lebron
    Harden
    Durant
    Curry
    Davis
    Porzingis
    KaT/WB

11. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Wow this man is dropping triple doubles at an historical pace, and you put him behind two players whose have a great shoot of being outside the playoffs race. Man double wow.

I disagree 100% on that MVP order.

12. BackdoorHarden

Member when you clowns wanted to Trade HARDEN FOR PAUL BOY GEORGE AND his career 42% FG ???

ROFL> WHERE IS YOU CLOWNS NOWZ??? WHERE IS YOU???

HARDEN is on his went win his 2nd MVP. Only 5 players have averaged more than 12 assists in a season, MR MVP HARDEN IS ON THAT LIST. This hasn't been done in 40 years

Cashmoney likes this.
  13. BackdoorHarden

WB might be averaging a Tripble double, but he's also shooting 43% FG and averaging 6 turnover a game.

He's playing just like we expected. He did the same thing when KD was out and the team missed the playoff despite WB putting up TBD every night.

Harden is way better than WB.

Harden has a better FG%

Harden's team is one of the best team in the NBA.

WB is getting triple double because he dominates the ball. Ever wonder why KD left?

14. BackdoorHarden

My MVP List:

1.) Harden- Most dominating offensive season in NBA history
    2.) KD- 63% effective FG %. Highest ever for any player that scores over 25 points
    3.) LBJ - He should be #1, but he's LBJ. It's like Jordan, he really need to impressive to win because he's so damn good
    4.) Curry- Still having a great season, but because he's Curry, he 's just having an "average" season. 26 points and 50% FG for a point is just an average season for him. Just like LBJ, can't give him the MVP anymore unless he impress

5. WB...only because he's averaging triple double. That's like calling Michael Adams a great offensive players on the Nuggets team...someone has to get the stats when they dominate the ball..

15. roslolian

roslolian Member

Most of this is enabled by the team he's on, like I said Dwight in Orlando was logging in 20 20's once a week too. Dwight is a good rebounder, but the only reason he got 20 rebs weekly was because the team had Rashard Lewis and Turkuglu as the PF and SF.

WB is the pg of the team, that can jack up your assists as we saw with Harden this season, his assist climbed from 7 last year to 12.2 a game, and that's just from a position change Harden has always been the team facilitator and center of the offense even when he was the SG. WB is also been a black hole of epic proportions so his PPG will always be double digits thanks to the 25 FGA he takes nightly. That just leaves rebs, when there's a close game and everybody is bricking their shots it's not impossible for WB to log double digit rebs since he's also a good rebounder.

MVPs are supposed to help their team win, not just mindlessly compile stats. Winning is a team sport at the end of the day. WB is a good player but his net impact on the game isn't that amazing because of his ball hog tendencies. Just look at the assists of Iverson, Steve Francis and Stephon Marbury all those guys averaged more than 5 assists a night despite being mediocre playmakers.

16. BackdoorHarden

Great point. WB is having a Marbury season. Putting up great stats, but team doesn't make or barely make the playoff.

James have this team in top 4 in WESTERN CONFENCE, AGAIN

roslolian likes this.
  17. BackdoorHarden

What is the most FG Attempt in a single season in NBA history?

I try to look this up on Google, but it always come up with "KOBE BRYANT"

18. Rokman

Rokman Member

Check the advanced stats to get your answer.

19. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

I have Harden ahead of Westbrook so what is the problem.

Durant left because he's chasing the ring. It had nothing to do with Westbrook dominating the ball.

20. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

to me harden is for sure top 5

westbrook is averaging a triple double. to me, he deserves the mvp

lebron, durant, wb, harden, curry