1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Gerald Green a Low Bball IQ Bust or Is He an Untapped Potential?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by v3.0, Feb 21, 2008.

?

Which Type of Player is Gerald Green?

1. Low Bball IQ Bust ala Stro

170 vote(s)
    45.2%
  2. Untapped Potential even though 2 teams already gave up on him

206 vote(s)
    54.8%
  1. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

He's in the paint near the bucket...you act like he's not in traffic on move to the basket...as though he's parked behind the 3 point line.

2. Stack24

Stack24 Member

To me this is a deal that is one of those really low risk options. He definitely has the raw talent like a Stromile Swift, but the question will be if he actually amounts to anything.

It is said he has an attitude problem and needs to really work on his game to have a chance.

Could he be a diamond in the rough? Maybe with a lot of coaching and letting go of some of his ego.

The on thing that really bothers me and is a clear indication of work ethic, is the fact that on a team like the Timberwolves that is clearly going no where and sucks beyond belief and R. Foye has been injured the whole season.....He still couldn't break in the rotation or get meaningful minutes. You figure they would at least try him out and see if he could do anything.

3. GMNot

GMNot Member

Adelman has taken half a season to get a rotation that is starting to play well together. Don't expect GG to see any court time unless they start putting some games away by the 4th quarter. Then I expect him to see some time. Wells did get some time, albeit reduced as of late, with the rotation crystalizing. And James saw time when leads were relatively safe. Both players are gone, so those minutes would likely go to who? It makes sense in those circumstances, and at this point, to go ahead and see what GG can do as soon as possible.

The other hope is that GG's "culture" of dunking can rub off on Yao more, so that anytime Yao is within 2 feet of the basket he will not even think about whether to dunk or not; it will just be second nature. :)

4. BarkleyHater84

A bust, couldn't even get PT on the 2 worst teams (Boston and Minny) what makes you think he will play on a 50 win team????/

5. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

He did get playing time in Boston. 10ppg in 22mins.

6. RocksMillenium

So much for looker weaker. Wait until the Rockets actually play a game next time. :rolleyes:

7. lalala902102001

Maybe it's just me, but to me the ring finger is very important in shooting, at least if you have a normal shooting form.

I can't imagine how Green shoots the ball without the finger.

8. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

once you get used to it, it's just muscle memory.......it's like a guy with a prosthetic leg.....you wonder how he can run faster if cant even move it like he did his real leg.......but he does cause after time he gets used to it.,,,,,

and more to the topic, the reason players are untapped potential is because of their low bball iq, they go hand in hand.

9. ClutchCityReturns

Some of you guys seem overly concerned with the missing ring finger. When you're shooting a basketball you're supposed shoot primarily with your index and middle finger. The thumb and pinky, since they are opposite of each other, provide the balance. The ring finger might actually be the one finger that one could adjust most easily to not using.

Besides, he's shot a decent percentage from distance in the NBA, despite not getting steady minutes (which usually helps %'s).

Here's a quote from his nbadraft.net profile:

It's not like this happened recently and he needs to adjust. He already has, and quite well.

10. macalu

macalu Member

Who the hell is Gerald Green???

11. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

the problem is green doesnt have a prostetic finger. he's missing a finger which is obviously a big disadvantage when shooting. theres actually this kid with 6 fingers and he is pretty much automatic from halfcourt.

12. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The kid has averaged over 38 percent from behind the arc for the last two seasons. There is nothing wrong with his shooting form.

13. ansarisu

ansarisu Member

Is this thread a waste of bandwidth?

A) Yes

B) Absolutely

14. Lovemachine2000

Whoever was asking for a comparison between Green and Telfair (I know I can go back and look up the post, but I am too lazy), there's little similarity. Telfair has all the talent and tools to be a leading PG in the league, but injury and questionable work ethics hold him back. As a pure basketball talent, Green is far inferior to Telfair. He has no understanding of the game, but he does have a decent shooting form and a slam dunk champion title to back up his raw athleticism. Despite his low bball IQ, at the age of 21, Green has that chance to become a rotational player a la JR Smith. I don't see him getting any better than that, but I hope he proves me wrong.

15. wreck

wreck Member

According to the better basketball shooting videos you dont even need that finger for shoot. as far as some dude laughing at him on a post for missing a finger. thats just wrong.

you probably have to start from scratch with him. college is very underrated. you really learn the game in college. alls i know is that cd wanted him and we have to be patient. i hope they exercise their option on him just to see how he progresses under an experienced team.

16. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

Why so many of these same threads? Just wait an watch...