1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Is Dwight Howard a good leader?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Francis3422, Jan 3, 2015.

1. zxcvbn193

zxcvbn193 Member

Leader is not necceserally a player that scores the most points, but a person that understands a game well, knows his role, knows at what their teammates are. For a second if I would look for a leader, I would say Beverley, simply because he always talks after every play he discusses it with his teammates and he leads by example with the fact that sometimes things are not going your way, but you still keep fighting till the the end. Harden is as calm as he can be, which I like a lot too, he doesn't talk too much he just does and if someone thinks Howard can be a leader? Please. Start playing with passion first and show some respect for the game first.

2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Nope. If he was a good leader than imo he'd realize he's not a good post player and thus keep those touches to a minimal.

A good leader doesn't knowingly hurt the team and is willing to sacrifice. Harden could try to ISO and score every time down the court, but he knows that will hurt the team. He knows that putting up 40 a night is certainly possible but it's going to hurt the team. Harden thus only scores and gets selfish when he feels the team needs it.

Dwight meanwhile is calling for post ups at every chance he gets. It slows the team down...usually results in a missed shot or turnover. Oh and we seem to start the game this way. I bet we'd do a lot better if Harden came out shooting and establishing the pace rather than Dwight.

3. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Motiejunas and Harden Pick and roll to start the game!

4. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

i guess people just want perfection on this board.......i have never seen fans attack their own players more than this board

5. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

he is an alright post player but people want Hakeem like moves, we need inside out game otherwise the other team will just swarm the guards, it won't be open at all

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Really? Did you just get the internet?

And the comment about observing how players react is not about winning it is about body language, effort, how they relate to each other, you can tell that Howard is not a leader on the Rockets.

DD

7. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

lol oh can you, you don't see how he leads the defence, how the team bonds behind the scene

you only see what you want to see and the hatred is really funny on here.

this team will be judged on what they do in the Playoffs and not what they do in January

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

You mean if they get to the playoffs, and what seed they are - and yes, you can tell he is not a leader.

DD

9. JackLordsHair

JackLordsHair Member

Dwight has always been about Dwight first and foremost, and this incident proves it out. He is very child like in his actions and responses as a professional athlete. He has had perhaps 4 games this year that he looked engaged and putting in his full effort on both ends of the floor, and these were all sadly before his knee injury. Since his return he has looked like an average roll player at best except for in the Spurs game. Kobe and Durant are right about this guy sadly... I would be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt if this was all related to the knee injury, but I have to believe that if this was the problem the Rox drs/Morey/McHale etc would have sat him by now or Howard himself would have taken himself out and used the injury excuse for his less than serviceable play.

My excitement about this season is waning quite quickly in direct proportion to how Howard's play has been average at best and also his seeming lack of motivation and drive to lead by example.

10. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

NO and that's ok. I want Harden to be the leader.

11. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

If you have to ask the question, then you have your answer.

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't care if Dwight is a leader or not. I just want to see him play well and play hard. I don't know if his recent slacking is due to physical injury or mental injury. I hope he'll get it together. The highest paid player does not need to be a leader. He just needs to play like an elite player as he should.

1 person likes this.
  13. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

14. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Member

I have to agree with this assessment. Something has been off. I mentioned a "Tracy McGrady-esque" quality in the body language of a lot of our players since Dwight's return. I saw tweet the other day that James and Dwight got into a physical altercation during halftime of the Wizards game. Has anyone heard about this? I don't know the source personally and can't find it to re-post. Just wondering if anyone else heard of such.

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

How he look tonight so far?

Like a follower with bad body language?

16. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

This. I'd trade dwight to the bulls for Noah who I believe is a lesser player. Reason I do that deal is Noah accepts his game and doesn't hurt his team by demanding touches.

Noah & dunlevy for dwight?

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Mediocre leader until he can lead us somwhere postseason

18. Dhoward12

Dhoward12 Member

Lol and people and scared about Dwight Knee and you want Noah with his Knee?

19. mockster

mockster Member

I think everyone has embraced hard is somone you look up to as a teammate considering he's the one really contributing to the Ws. Not that Howard does contribute a lot but scoring not as much and versatility. Howard defiantly is a leader though. Nothing wrong with that. Seemed like Scottie and MJ did that but we all know MJ was the true bread winner

20. platypus

platypus Member

Yep horrible leader. Just horrible, he's a cancer in the locker room, always complaining about his knee and "bone on bone", not to mention he gets mad every time he doesn't get the ball on offense. Just turrible.

[​IMG]