1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Dirk the Best?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by il italiano, Jun 12, 2011.

?

Is Dirk the Best?

1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. No

14 vote(s)
    63.6%
  1. il italiano

il italiano Member

Is Dirk Nowitzki currently the best player in the NBA?

I have been thinking about this since the Lakers-Mavs series, and game by game dirk is slowly proving what i have been thinking since then.

My reasoning:

with Lebron showing the world that he is clearly not the player the fans and the media made him out to be, dirk is clearly the best player in the league. He carried this Mavs team to the NBA finals and won the championship. i know wade also played out of his mind for most of the series, but ultimately came up short.

The only person who i can say can be considered better at the moment is Kobe but i implore you to not look at the past when making a case for Kobe, for i am not comparing careers but comparing the players from today and forward. i feel that Kobe has clearly lost a step. if you don't agree with me then look at game 4 vs Dallas. 13 points in 1st quarter playing as the Kobe of old, but only puts up 4 for the rest of the game when his team desperately needed him in an elimination game. but who knows, Kobe could come out next year and prove us all wrong, i for one wouldn't be surprised.

so do you think that Dirk as officially claimed the throne as the best player in the league coming into next season?

2. ocelot4ark

ocelot4ark Member

No one will say Dirk's the best. But he's the best closer, bar none.

3. t_mac1

t_mac1 Member

no. the best player in basketball has to be able to play defense. he's the best scorer right now though.

4. clos4life

clos4life Member

You win the ring as the alpha dog, you are the best, at least for a year.

5. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Member

Hell no.
    Top 3, though.

6. houseofglass21

LeBron is pretty much just a hip hop culture poster boy. He might as well be a rapper. Dirk is the better basketball player hands down.

7. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

No maybe just maybe best offensive player tho

that fadeaway is just NASTY. but definitely te most clutch player in the league right now!

8. conquistador#11

He led them to the title. He is the best player THIS season.

9. Aleron

Aleron Member

Dwight is probably the best player in the game right now, certainly the most dominant, but when he scores 40 points (on a TS% of about 70%), and his team 80 and loses, there's only so much he can do.

10. Juxtaposed Jolt

The best player has to have more facets to his game.

Dirk has the offense down, but individual defense, rebounding, blocking shots and even the occasional steal is not there for Dirk.

And I'm putting on my flame suit, but despite the horrible (read: HORRIBLE) series by LeBron, I still think James is the best player in the league.

Scoring, defense, court vision, and athletic ability is all there.

11. langal

langal Member

why not? "best player" is totally subjective anyways. a few weeks ago, Rose was the "best".

Dirk is clearly the best player on the team that just won the championship. If people want to call him the "best" right now I see no reason to get indignant over it.

12. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Dirk is currently the best player in the NBA. He should have won the MVP for the regular season as well, but I am glad he didn't.

13. il italiano

il italiano Member

but lebron doesn't not have that killer instinct and ability to perform on the big stage.

sure dirk isnt the best defender or rebounder, but he def is not the worst. another key to being the best is having that will to win and killer instinct. wade, kobe, and dirk all have that. but for the reasons i gave above i rate dirk as the best of those three.

14. sbyang

sbyang Member

I keep hearing about individual defense, but does a PF need to be a great individual defender in today's game? Most of the big scorers are perimeter guys and teams are lucky to have one good offensive post guy (who he doesn't need to guard anyway).

15. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

When Kobe is healthy he is the best player in the NBA. Kobe has not been healthy for awhile now. So Dirk looks like he is replacing him.

16. Obito

Obito Member

He didn't win it because he was injured a few games.

I thought Derrick deserved it but dirk should've been a close 2nd.

17. t_mac1

t_mac1 Member

when was rose the best? only ric bucher thinks so bro.

and apparently, tony parker and paul pierce were the best players in their respective years that they won, based on the logic in this thread.

18. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

In fact, he should have won it BECAUSE of that. Did you see the Mavs record with him vs. without him?

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

[​IMG]

Rocket River
    *snicker* [I wonder who will catch the obscure refence
    and who will use their JUMP to Conclusion Mats]

It is a reference to Tom Chambers proclaiming to be the best player in the world after winning the MVP of an All Star game.
    WHOOAAA . . .Simmadownnah!!

20. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Drik was the best player during this playoffs.