1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Is Derrick Rose the softest "superstar" in league history?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by LelWestbrick, May 6, 2013.

1. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

It's not ridiculous. It might be unfair but it is not ridiculous. Some players are just tougher than others whether it be mentally or physically. Kobe plays through injuries that half the league wouldn't because he is tougher than most. There is nothing wrong with differentiating and pointing out the toughness of different athletes. Derrick Rose is probably still a great player and I will cheer for him when he comes back but that doesn't mean it is ridiculous to call him soft. weak or whatever you want to call it when it seems like that is what he is being.

2. coffeelover665

kobe shot the free throw on a broken leg

3. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

It's absolutely ridiculous to call him soft if you've never experienced what he's going thru. Ya'll act like it's a switch he can just turn on or off. Like you said some players are tougher than others not willing to jeopardize another season or not being mentally ready doesn't make him soft.

4. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I wonder how much of this is Tom Thibodeau telling Rose to not come back until he's 100%. Thibs sees how well his unit is gelling (especially on the defensive end), and he probably doesn't want a hesitant Rose being a liability on the court. While the fans want to see Rose suit up and play, it's probably not in the best interest of the Bulls right now. If he's not going to be the transcendent player he was when he was healthy, then there's no reason to play him against the defending World Champs right now.

So, basically, in all honesty, it really doesn't MATTER whether Rose is ready or not. The Bulls have compensated fantastically in his absence.

5. Blurr#7

This!!
    The fact is fans will never be happy. On one hand they'll call him soft for not playing and if he did play and didn't perform or god forbid got hurt, they'd b**** that he shouldn't have played.
    It happens with Lin here too. I had a long discussion with my brother about how no matter what Jeremy did he after his injury he was gonna get crucified. Thruth is once you accept what a player is and stop trying to make him something he's not the games are much more enjoyable. Believe me, It happened with Tracy.

6. hltiki

hltiki Member

There is no way Chi two will turn against Rose. The guy is their messiah, and deservedly so.

He came back too soon last year and look at what happened, he tore his ACL and left the entire city and team in disarray. The Bulls were the only ones on the east that could have stopped Miami remember?

I'm a fan of the Bulls as well, and I don't want Rose to come back til next season; they aren't beating Miami anyway.

7. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Is it ridiculous to call a player a choke artist if he repeatedly misses game winning free throws? Is it ridiculous to say Austin Rivers was sucking/sucked this year based on how bad he played? Yes I'd probably miss those free throws and yes I'd definitely play worse than Rivers. However, we aren't comparing these players to regular people because that is what it's ridiculous

8. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

I wrote a paper on the psychological and emotional responses of athletic injury for one of my classes. The doubt and fear he still faces is real, and it can definitely hinder his recovery. Even if he is physically okay, that doubt and fear of re-injury could cause him to get hurt again if he returns before he is ready. Often times athletes will favor the non-injured limb and do other subtle things to try and prevent re-injury, and they end up hurt themselves again because of that mindset.

There are a LOT of really ignorant people, maybe those who don't understand should do a little research....

9. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

So how is he going to get over that mental hurdle without attempting to play if hes physically right?

10. STR8Thugg

It takes time. Eventually he will have to get back out there, but throwing him in the middle of an intense playoff series doesn't seem like the right situation. Eventually he will have to combat his fears, but the longer he has to recover, the more he probably believes he is physically ready. That will help him get over the hurdle.

11. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

What a joke. Everyone wanted Yao Ming to take his time coming back from injuries, Rose is doing what is best not only for his career, but the franchise. He is coming back from a serious injury and at this point, from what I have heard, it is all psychological at this point, and you are more likely to get injured when you are playing afraid.

Rose should sit out until he is 100% ready, at this point, what is the use in coming back, even if they get to the finals? They would be inserting a guy who hasn't played in a regular season game, let alone a playoff game, in over a year. You can't insert a guy after that long and expect him to be like he was pre-injury, e.g. see Yao Ming.

1 person likes this.
  12. STR8Thugg

WOW!!! SOMEONE ACTUALLY UNDERSTANDS!!! :eek:

13. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

I understand if someone doesn't help their friend when they get jumped. Doesn't mean I can't think they were a coward in that situation.

14. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Man, why does the stupid water keep spilling from the Garm to the Dish?

So many obvious points that debunk OP's irrational theory, is it really worth 5 minutes of my life? No.

The hate is strong.

15. Nook

Nook Member

Uhh Thibs isn't the kind of coach to say "come back when you are 100%".. Ask Noah and Deng in the past.

Having said that, I will call Rose weird but not soft. In the past he has played while very banged up... Still sometimes things get in his head, from the Heat series a few years ago where he was about as bad as possible, to this...

Whatever, he will be back next year and the Bulls will go back to losing to the Heat in the ECF.

16. Blurr#7

Time. But "Attempting" to play in this series just to make people happy is crazy. He'll have all training camp, pre-season and light scrimmages to build confidence.

17. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Hypothetically, if Rose still isn't mentally ready at the beginning of next season would you still defend him?

18. Blurr#7

See this is how people get it twisted. I'm not actually defending him, I simply understand everyone isn't mentally tough as YOU wish they were. Does that mean he's soft? Not at all, it's just who he is.
    If he's still not ready then well he's not ready. Maybe hypothetically he'll never get over it mentally and retire.

19. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

So what's the difference between Rose not being mentally ready and Royce "#bewell" White not being mentally ready?

20. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

You are defending him by explaining his decision and saying he's not soft. I think I actually agree with your logic but I don't take as much offense to the word soft. Some people are mentally weak or soft or whatever you want to call it. I think in this regard Rose is but he is still one of my favorite players and a beast when healthy.