1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Derrick Rose done?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by rockbox, Sep 6, 2014.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

He's shooting 22 percent from the field in FIBA play. He shot 35 percent last year before injuring his knee. He was a player whose game was predicated on his elite athleticism with little fundamentals at all. He can't shoot and has limited court vision. I think he's done as an all-star level player.

2. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I'll wait till at least December before giving up on his recovery. He has shown definite flashes of his athleticism this tournament. I'll chalk up most of the issues to rust and playing weird minutes.

3. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Dude hasn't even had training camp yet.

4. traveler

traveler Member

lol

This. He has shown flashes of his former self. He as displayed a lot of rust and the rotation is not optimal for him. I am looking forward till he goes to his team and gets into settling in and getting comfortable again. His knees look great right now. No one is shooting at a high level in FIBA. The U.S. coaches are trying for a more front court play anyway.

5. cheke64

cheke64 Member

You are nuts to think he's done. You said it yourself. He's game has always been based on athleticism.

6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

So you're basically saying he's back to being the same player that won MVP (lacking fundamentals but with elite athleticism), but you think he's done?

7. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

He has no business being on Team USA at the moment, but I'm not going to proclaim him done because of a cold stretch. Let's revisit this around January or February.

8. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I don't see him ever being MVP Derrick Rose ever again... He didn't look good last year and I don't see him improvingp

9. Moleb

Moleb Member

Athletically he is still there. He is no way done, he is very rusty to be honest. And he is out of rhythm. Because he is getting into the paint easily. Its hard to explain if your not an athlete. "Anyone" who plays basketball in real life high school, collegiate, or pro am league knows this.

10. awc713

awc713 Member

Yeah...I agree with all the above posts. His athleticism is still definitely there. Is he rusty? Obviously, hence the poor shooting.

But I do think he will get injured again. His style of play makes him a ticking time-bomb. He's VERY good at what he does, but he runs SO aggressively that another injury is bound to happen. Unfortunately, basketball is one of (if not THE) highest impact sports when it comes to knees.

His style of play is not meant to hold up on a basketball court, for 82 games a year, plus playoffs for a decade plus. His running style is just too aggressive.

11. kyrie Dwight

kyrie Dwight Member

He's not done he just won't return to the MVP rose

12. bmd

bmd Member

He's still got the athleticism... and that was the main concern coming back from injury.

He's gotta work on hitting his shots again. That will come back. He can fix that.

13. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

Probably just tired legs...

Clutchfans has a habit of dramatic reactionary threads.

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Being on Team USA is a courtesy to Rose. He clearly doesn't deserve to be in Spain.

I'll give him half of next season. This is his first extended period of live action in over 2 years. (The 10 games he played last year shouldn't even count).

Give Rose the chance to get his legs and shot back. If he's still playing like a chump in late January, oh well.

15. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I don't think he will ever be MVP Rose again (didn't deserve that MVP but...) but I say that only because I think everything clicked for him that season both personally and with the team around him and he sort of caught the league off guard. That isn't to say he can't return to being a top 10 player but I don't think he will ever reach that top 3-5 player status because the situation will probably never arise.

It's a bit like McGrady's 32 ppg season in Orlando. Had he remained 100% healthy for the remainder of his career he would have never duplicated that season.

16. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

Won't return to MVP level due to him understanding his body. He can't go running in recklessly into the paint for the flashy layups anymore. I wanted him to work on his jumper, but it seems he can't shoot no matter what. Hopefully he can show us something before the season begins, but Bulls are looking for him to start carrying the team again with Pau.

17. CertifiedTroll

If he remains injury free he will be good, but I cant really imagine him making it through this season

18. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Stevie Franchise Part II

19. shlhl

shlhl Member

Don't jinx it.

20. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

The physical tools are still there. Rose basically hasn't played in two years. If he stays healthy, I think he'll be fine.