1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is 'Dell dude' Steven done for?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rockets34Legend, Oct 17, 2002.

1. Rockets34Legend

http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/internet/10/16/dude.dell/index.html

By Jeordan Legon
    CNN
    Wednesday, October 16, 2002 Posted: 3:50 PM EDT (1950 GMT)

Dell Computer said its blond-haired surfer dude pitchman "Steven," played by actor Ben Curtis, will be taking a break despite helping to increase sales for the company since the campaign went on air two years ago.

Dell already has started airing less dude-centric ads that feature a group of eager interns. The company refused to say whether Steven is just taking a breather or whether the campaign is a goner.

"This does not mean the end of Dell's association with the Steven character," Dell spokesman Bob Kaufman said. "We're just trying new things, looking at alternatives."

Kaufman said Steven ads are still airing around the country.

"Whether or not they'll run long into the future I can't say right now," he said.

Not so good news for the many fans of the "Dude" ads, which have developed a strong cult following. NBC's "Saturday Night Live" spoofed the character. His admirers posted Ben Curtis trivia on Web sites. And bulletin boards buzzed anytime Dell released a new commercial featuring the laid-back spokesman.

How 'dude' got his start

Curtis, 21, was a struggling drama student from New York when he beat out more than 100 others for the chance to be in the Dell commercial.

In the commercials, he plays a goofball who harangues friends and family to buy Dell computers. The debut ad was one of Curtis' favorites. In it, Steven talks into the camera and tells his dad why he should buy him a Dell -- stressing loads of free accessories and his dad's love for a bargain. In other commercials, Steven persuaded friends' parents to buy their kids Dells, closing with the catch phrase "Dude, you're getting a Dell."

Curtis took the public adoration in stride and during an interview with the St. Petersburg (Florida) Times in January, he seemed fine with the idea of retiring the campaign.

"This has made me more humble in a way," he told the newspaper. "I'm more aware of not letting it go to my head. Sometimes, it would be nice to just be a theater major. But this is an awesome opportunity. I work as hard as I can. If it works, great. And if they're done using me, they'll stop and we'll move on."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It sucks that they are getting rid of him. The new intern commericials are so lame and pathetic.

2. HotRocket

HotRocket Member

No...
    http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2002-10-16-dell-dude-staying_x.htm
    'Dell dude' staying put ... for now

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — Dude, you can relax. Despite the rumors, Dell Computer pitchman "Steven" — "Dude, yer gettin' a Dell!" — is going to be around for more Dell commercials, says the actor's agent. "Dell loves him and he loves Dell," Bonnie Schumofsky, agent for 21-year-old actor Benjamin Curtis, said Wednesday. "The rumors that he was given a pink slip are untrue."

Dell's pitchman 'Steven': Not going anywhere.

She said "a very high authority" assured her Curtis' job was safe.

Speculation about Steven's future started when the company, based in Round Rock, began airing commercials featuring other young actors.

"We're just trying some new things," said Dell spokesman Bob Kaufmann. "This does not mean the end of Steven's relationship with Dell."

The Wall Street Journal reported Wednesday that Curtis was not sure if his contract was going to be renewed. It also quoted Dell group marketing manager Claire Bennett as saying all good things must eventually come to an end.

Web sites and online fan clubs had been in an uproar since rumors of Curtis' firing began.

"HE'S BEIN' FIRED????" blared a posting by "Meghan" at the "Ben Curtis Forum — A Place for Steve lovers everywhere!"

Curtis, a Chattanooga, Tenn., native who graduated from McCallie School, was attending college classes Wednesday in New York and was unavailable for comment, Schumofsky said.

Dell, which makes most of its money selling to businesses and schools, launched the Steven commercials two years ago to increase its consumer business.

Consumer sales bring in about $4.8 billion, or 15% of the company's $32.1 billion in annual revenue.

3. Rockets34Legend

Whoa...good catch, HotRocket. That's weird that CNN hasn't updated it.

4. HotRocket

HotRocket Member

The only "true" news source is Fark.com

5. Behad

Behad Member

6. HotRocket

HotRocket Member

7. Rockets34Legend

Well, the story I put up originally came on CNN.com today. Didn't see that one.

8. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Member

I really can't believe that there are more Steve lovers than haters. It's interesting that they are trying to say that the increase in home pc sales was due to him.

You know, if he helped their stock price grow, I could be a Steve lover too, I guess.:p

9. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I thought that guy was kinda lame. The first couple of commercials with him I liked, but by the third or fourth one I thought they had played out the "Dude yer gettin' a Dell!" Maybe its just me, but I was long ready for something new.

10. codell

codell Member

Does this guy remind yall of Eddie Haskell from Leave it to Beaver? Kind of that wacky neighbor kid that you just never quite trust.

11. drapg

drapg Member

but that something new with the interns and snooty dell woman was not what i was looking for!!!!

12. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Your right dragp. Lets face it - they have crappy commercials, but great computers.

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

We need to focus all this misplaced Steven hatred on that jackass from Subway. Not Jared, the other loser.

14. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

The Dell Guy got old fast. He is so annoying! I hope that he is off the air for good. At first I didn't find him that annoying, but when they kept coming out with more commercials with him in it, he became extremely annoying.

15. Chance

Chance Member

This whole thread reminds me of that line from Scary Movie was it...? Might have been Clueless...? Anyway where the chick says, "That was so...yesterday!"

16. DCkid

DCkid Member

You mean the guy that has nothing better to do than go around making fun of people who don't eat at Subway? My favorite (worst) one is where he pulls up to a drive-through with his "crew" and asks for some obscure Subway sandwhich that the place obviously doesn't have. When the worker tells him they don't have that that on their menu, he says something like, "not only do you not have it, it's not even in your same league," and then turns around and gives high-fives to the other losers in his car like he just slammed this poor unsuspecting drive-through employee...whatever.

However, I'd say that is probably my second least favorite commercial after those ridiculously awkward Macintosh commercials. It's one of those things, where I feel embarassed simply by watching it.

By the way, I don't know if it's a southern thing or what, but I don't ever remember seeing a commercial with the Dell Guy while in the DC area. From what I hear, I guess I'm lucky.

17. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I think me, Manny and RM95 should start a campaign to get rid of that Stupid ass Subway Guy. I hate his latest one where he jumps in on a Frat. They are about to pay for their pizza thats been delivered and the Jackass grabs them all and brainwashes them into eating healthy at Subway. That Poor Pizza dude is probably wondering what the hell he is going to do with that Pizza. I need to send this letter

Dear Subway Asswipe,

Greetings, moron. You know who you are, I need not bother looking up what your mother affixed to her 3rd Ex-Husband's last name. Please stop stalking innocent men with IQ's under The Price of A bag of chips at Subway. Your lurking around, pouncing on Drive Thru workers is a disgrace to all who watch NFL Football on Sundays while in bed eating a bag of flaming hot cheetos (which I noticed Subway does not carry).

STOP trying to take business away from The American Heros. Those who strive to cram what more they can into America's already bloated snackhole, to quote the great Homer Simpson.
    STOP going into Subway and acting like you really know all those Girls you ask to tell some poor saps about a new weapon of mass destruction in Calorie warfare. I think I speak for America when I say. "Leave us alone, Subway may be good once a year but Pizza, Burgers and Fried Twinkies reign supreme in this land"
    Thank you for your time.

PS - Leave Jared the hell alone, He actually did something with his life to get on TV.

18. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Member

It's like $7 for a 6" sub meal at Subway now. $7. You can eat at Delaware Subs or Thundercloud for that price and get better food.

I say, **** that.

19. 3814

3814 Member

it's that expensive in houston?!?!?! crazy. i pay $8.38 canadian for a footlong turkey meal (with pop and chips) in Vancouver.

20. Behad

Behad Member

Flaming hot Cheetos ROCK! I love 'em!

Anybody eaten at Neptune Subs on Hwy. 146 in Seabrook? Only slightly more expensive than Subway, yet twice the food and 5 times the quality!