1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Deandre Jordan Really Better than Current Dwight Howard??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tmac2k8, May 15, 2015.

1. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

I been hearing a lot about how Deandre at this point has surpassed Dwight Howard and outplaying Howard in the series. How he's dominating Howard so bad in this series. The Stats don't agree. Deandre even has 2 of the best players in the league at their position playing with him and has far inferior stats in this series head to head.

Series Average
    Howard 18 PPG, 13.5 Rebounds
    Jordan 13 PPG, 12.8 Rebounds

Game 6
    Howard 21 pts, 20 rebounds
    Jordan 8 pts, 9 rebounds

Game 5
    Howard 20 pts, 15 rebounds
    Jordan 13 pts, 11 rebounds

Game 4
    Howard 7 pts, 6 rebounds
    Jordan 26 pts, 17 rebounds

Game 3
    Howard 14, pts, 14 rebounds
    Jordan 6 pts, 15 rebounds

Game 2
    Howard 24 pts, 16 rebounds
    Jordan 16 pts, 12 rebounds

Game 1
    Howard 22 pts, 10 rebounds
    Jordan 10 pts, 13 rebounds

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

No one with a brain actually thinks that.

3. tamericus

tamericus Contributing Member

4. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Head-to-head stats don't matter so much.

Throughout much of the series, DJ was able to shut down the paint and effectively neutralize the rox offense. Dwight had flashes, but didn't put together a consistent effort until the 4th quarter last night.

You've gotta give him props.

5. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Only Dwight haters (media and non Rockets fans) would ever think of making such an asinine statement

Playoff Dwight has been a top 3 player ever since he entered the league

6. hoopball

hoopball Member

Utter BS. With the exception of game 4, Dwight had the upper hand in almost every game. It's just not stats, if you actually watch the game, Deandre loses a lot of rebound battles to Dwight and has less impact on the game defensively than Howard, despite leading in those categories in the season.

Here's the crucial point : Dwight's numbers are all u across the board against Deandre in this series whereas Deandre's rebound numbers went down and points/blocks are pretty much the same compared with the season average.

Dwight is outplaying Deandre at this point, that's the truth.

7. hoopball

hoopball Member

Utter BS. With the exception of game 4, Dwight had the upper hand in almost every game. It's just not stats, if you actually watch the game, Deandre loses a lot of rebound battles to Dwight and has less impact on the game defensively than Howard, despite leading in those categories in the season.

Here's the crucial point : Dwight's numbers are all up across the board against Deandre in this series whereas Deandre's rebound numbers went down and points/blocks are pretty much the same compared with the season average.

Dwight is outplaying Deandre at this point, that's the truth.

8. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

only if you're an idiot

in this huge game for both teams, dwight was 20/21 while dj was 8/9. yeah dj was ablet o lock up dwight some this series but dwight is still dominating on both ends.

the haters never stop. from noah to cousins to dj. they're desperately finding that one center that could put up better numbers than dwight.

marc gasol is averaging a near 20/10 for the playoffs but is shooting at 41%. thats terrible for a center regardless if he shots threes or not. for his size he never averaged a 20/10 in the regular season. now he is in the playoffs, but his efficiency goes down

9. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

dwight is better at the things deandre does, but he tries to do other things that he's bad at, like posting up

10. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

my playoff dwight commment didnt go through. but yeah, everyone wants playoff dwight on their team.

11. MuddyWaters

MuddyWaters Member

Imagine if Dwight was a legit 7fter he would prob be challenging history rn

12. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

It's exactly the same as when Noah was putting up semi decent numbers and people were claiming he's the best C in the league.

If you muted all the media who blatantly hate Dwight - there'd be only the reluctant die-hard fans of said players who'd claim they're better than Dwight.

13. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

The Noah argument is completely ridiculous, I could accept someone claiming Jordan over Howard. Noah is a garbage man come to work and play hard type guy. He doesn't have nearly the abilities of dwight.

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Joardan is a better rebounder but that's it.

15. rocks123

rocks123 Member

even before the series started some people are claiming Dwight is no match for Deandre. It confuses me because aside from maybe height i don't see any advantage deandre have over Dwight. If Dwight have a player of Blake griffin's level playing alongside him they will literally bulldozed all competition with no sweat.

16. hoopball

hoopball Member

Did anyone notice whenever you put Dwight on Blake, Blake's efficiency and explosiveness drastically goes down? Talk about shutting down. Deandre's defensive presence is nowhere near Dwight's, he just makes Harden difficult to attack the basket, but Harden is always like that with regards to any big man with above average D, that's just an aspect of the game Harden has to work on and we should not be mistaken as to give Deandre too much credit defensively.

The thing is, our big men scores in the paint without much difficulty whether Deandre is around or not. Remember, he got decimated by 39 year old Tim Duncan in round 1 whereas that same Duncan struggled against Dwight offensively even when he was at his prime.

17. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

The stats don't lie but it's more than that. When these guys are going head to head on the court Dwight typically comes out the winner. On the boards it's almost comical at times how easily Dwight moves Deandre or goes around him.

I really don't get the Jordan "is a better athlete than Howard" comments I hear in the national media. I'm watching a version of D12 that is quicker, stronger and just as explosive as Jordan is. Jordan is taller. That's about his only phyiscal advantage.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I'd give Jordan's defensive impact overall more value than Howard's overall so far in the series. Rebounds and points don't tell you what he was doing... the paint had been basically off limits for 16 quarters.

19. hoopball

hoopball Member

http://stats.nba.com/league/team/#!...Playoffs&CF=GP*E*&TeamID=1610612745&PORound=2

44.1% of our total points in this series came within the paint. That's actually higher than the season average, which was 43.6%.

Compare that with this : http://stats.nba.com/league/team/#!...asonType=Playoffs&TeamID=1610612746&PORound=2

Only 41.6% of Clippers' points have come from the paint in this series. So, the fact is Houston is actually doing far better job at protecting their paint, and a lot of that has to do with Dwight's defensive presence.

Deandre is an overrated defensive player and rim protector, and I could give you slew of numbers and facts to back up my statement, but since this is the rockets fans forum I figure that's just unnecessary.

20. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Contributing Member

I think some of it comes from Jordan's spectacular blocks on Howard.

Highlight blocks create the perception that he's dominating Howard, though obviously the stats don't bear it out.