1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Daryl Morey a Misunderstood Genius or a Mad Scientist?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Jul 13, 2012.

?

Is Daryl Morey a Mad Scientist or Misunderstood Genius

1. Mad Scientist

43 vote(s)
    39.8%
  2. Misunderstood Genius

65 vote(s)
    60.2%
  1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Misunderstood Genius or Mad Scientist?

That is the question you are asking yourself about Daryl Morey right now and you know it. Unless you are not a fan of the Rockets or unless you are so personally invested in your opinions about DM that you wish failure at all cost, you are hoping that he is a misunderstood genius.

The other question that I have is what in the hell did he do to Les to convince him to basically ship out the whole team and all but one of the starters? I would like to have been a fly on the wall for that conversation:

Imagine Daryl and Les sitting at the breakfast table both casually reading the sports page and drinking coffee.

DM: With out ever looking away from his sports page and sipping his coffee, "Hey Les I was kind of planning on getting rid of Dragic, Lowry, Scola, Dalembert, Camby, and Lee for a couple of 1st and 2nd round picks. We may or may not have a legitimate shot at landing Dwight Howard, who by the way has said he will not re-sign in Houston."

Les: With out making any gestures towards DM, Les flips through his sports page, takes another sip of coffee and almost too casually responds, "Sure Daryl, good luck."

The whole thing just seems to surreal. In reality I would expect Les to drop his coffee, choke on what ever he was eating and slap the hell out of DM with the sports page just before telling him to get the hell out until he comes back with a more realistic plan. But here we are and this is the scenario we are looking at. A total and complete make over of the team.

So is he a Genius? If he manages to get D12 and keep a couple of draft picks from the last 2 season to go along with Motiejunas then I would have to conclude that he is a genius. Imagine the following line-up:

C- Dwight Howard / Omar Asik / Greg Smith
    PF- Donatas Motiejunas / Glenn Davis
    SF- Chandler Parsons / Hedo Turkoglu
    SG- Jason Richardson / Jeremy Lamb / Zoran Dragic
    PG- Aaron Brooks / Chris Duhan / Scott Machado

I would be pretty excited about that line-up. But what if DM really does give up everything and all he has at the end of next season are Motiejunas, Richardson, Turkaglu, Davis and Duhan, because Dwight walks? Mad Scientist?

What if its something in the middle? We give up everything but DMo but Dwight Howard signs an extension at the end of the season. Would DM be a genius because he has D12 under contract and plenty of time to build around him and DMo? Personally I think if scenario 1 or 3 play's out DM is a genius.

#1 crash5179, Jul 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  2. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

3. phantoman

phantoman Contributing Member

i think he is smart, but you cant really call him a genius until he puts together a team the way he wants too. Right now he is a tease, we can see his talent but he hasnt put it all together yet.

Sounds to me like he is like every rookie and draftee picked up because of his potential, everything else remains to be seen....

4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Problem isn't morey, it's the fans. He has a job, which has an objective, and he's trying to accomplish it by using his available resources. It's no different than our own jobs. Some fans just don't understand his side of all this.

5. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

Dwight gonna miss time with his back injury. That team is a 6th seed at very best.

6. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Who cares as long as his back is healthy when the play-offs role around. More importantly what about a couple of years from now when Jeremy Lamb and DMo have a couple of years in the league?

7. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

What team? We still don't have a clue what the team will look like.

8. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

Whoops didn't see Lamb in there. I'd be okay with this team.

9. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

I was going based off the OP projections.

10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

This is very accurate, and I think the one thing about Morey that is a positive thing is that he does not get sucked into the emotional responses that fans have in regards to trades, draft picks, and free agent signings.

He doesn't always give you want you want as a fan, but at the end of the day its probably whats best for the franchise. He knew tanking to get a high draft pick was something he could always do in the future. This is a once in a franchise chance at getting a guy like Dwight in trade. Kudos for having the marbles to actually go through with it.

11. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Don't Hedo and Duhon have buyouts next season? Would that allow us to potentially have money for Paul next offseason?

12. MosKeemYao

MosKeemYao Member

I vote for Mad Scientist for a different reason. What if Morey doesn't like next years draft? He can't tank for 2years or his head will roll so he gets Dwight knowing he will leave which royally screws the Rockets (not Morey's fault), who therefore get a number 1 pick 2 years down the line when a lebronesque star is there. (too far fetched?)

13. Morey=Money

Morey=Money Member

I do believe we have a winner! That is the genius behind the madness!

Of course CP3 will want a S&T to get his max money so we might be going through this all over again next year with Howard & CP3. :grin:

14. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Read my sig..........nuff said....:cool:

15. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

16. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

No longer possible under the new CBA, thank the superfriends for that one.

17. WNBA

WNBA Member

He can do $$$$ but no basketball.

18. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

Morey is Andy Dufresne

19. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

Someone has been reading my posts, and he gets it! Kudos. It's exactly what Morey is thinking. If Dwight stays, we win. If Dwight leaves, D-Mo plus super bad contracts gets us NO WHERE and we forcibly tank after losing our superstar to a better market (btw, Houston is Large Market, 10x bigger than Miami or Dallas and 5x Boston, only to be eclipsed by NY/Brooklyn and LA) /boo hoo. We get a top 2 pick, plus something else in a trade, and have 2 picks in a loaded draft, in which, 1 is a bonified supastar, to grow with D-Mo

Win - Win......Genius.

20. Red.Glare

Red.Glare Member

Ask me after we get Dwight, make the playoffs (Atlanta gets our pick) and then he walks. The next season we limp forward with the Orlando leftovers, play some really ugly ball and get the 12th pick. Then finally 3 seasons later, we're back to where we are now. Except we no longer have multiple first rounders. Doubt we'd get much for Turkoglu, Duhon, J-Rich ect.