1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Is CP3 eligible for the supermax?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Kim, Jun 28, 2017.

1. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

If this is already established fact, then sorry for the new thread. I've been reading a lot of posters and writers saying that Paul is eligible with this trade, but is that fact? Wasn't DeMarcus Cousins eligible, then ineligible after his trade in February?

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/d...se-to-30-million-due-to-kings-pelicans-trade/

I know that the Rockets retain Paul's bird rights, but I think the Designated Player Veteran Extension, aka supermax is finished. If not, please explain, because I'm confused. Thanks.

https://16winsaring.com/the-nba-cba...nsion-and-choice-615f76872fb9?gi=edd1b9062e99

2. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Nobody? Because I just read again on ESPN (http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19758509/la-clippers-trade-chris-paul-houston-rockets) that Paul can get the Super Max next season. If this is so, why can't Cousins get the Super Max in New Orleans?

"But, once officially dealt, Cousins will no longer be eligible for that super-max extension. It’s reserved for players still with their original team or who changed teams only via trade during their first four years."
    http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/02/20...s-out-on-at-least-29-87-million-due-to-trade/

I must be missing an important detail.

3. craguin

craguin Member

DVPE is intended for this type of player:
    "for any player who has completed at least seven (7) but fewer than ten (10) Years of Service [...] provided, however, that a player who (A) has one Season, or two Seasons (including any Option Year), remaining on his Contract, and (B) has seven (7) or eight (8) Years of Service at the time the Extension is executed (i.e., a player entering their 8th or 9th year in the NBA), and (C) rendered such Years of Service for the Team with which he first executed a Player Contract (or, if he was under a Player Contract for more than one Team during such period, changed Teams only by trade during the first four (4) Salary Cap Years"

Chris Paul is a 12-year veteran so DVPE does not apply to him; there's your difference. Cousins was traded in his 7th year of service; only the original team that drafted him (Sacramento) could offer DPVE beyond the first 4 years of service.

#3 craguin, Jun 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
    Kim likes this.
  4. Coach E

Coach E Member

They say he is losing out on 11 mil over 5 seasons.

That's it.

5. YallMean

YallMean Member

His agent must have it figure out unless his name is BJ Amstrong

Party on.

6. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

So does that mean CP3 was never eligible for the DPVE in the first place? Like is his max different from the supermax?
    @BimaThug
    @craguin

7. craguin

craguin Member

Being a '10+' years of service veteran is what qualifies Paul and other similar free agents for Tier 3 max (35% of salary cap, with 8% annual increases from 1st year contract salary).

DVPE is meant for players with 7 to 10 years of service and could fluctuate between 30% to 35% of salary cap. ← Paul never fit this category based on years of service.

#7 craguin, Jun 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
    Kim likes this.