1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Clyde respected by other players?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by TheFreak, Feb 20, 2011.

1. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

Vernon Maxwell more respected than HOF, top 50 great Clyde Drexler? GTFOH. You owe an apology to all rocket fans for this ridiculous post. Who the hell cares about fundamentals when you were playing at a hall of fame level like Clyde was. The man was and is among the nicest guys associated with NBA basketball. The guy doesn't get the respect MJ and Doctor J does, but those players were better. But Clyde Drexler definitely was respected by teammates and other players.

1 person likes this.
  2. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

I think he's saying Maxwell was easier to get along with (than Clyde was) when he wasn't going crazy. I don't know if that's true, but who knows...

I don't think he's saying that Maxwell was more respected on the court. Obviously, with all the accolades, Drexler was more respected as a basketball player.

3. FullMetal Sage

No one respects our championships, so...Yeah.

4. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

maybe they listen to him commentate and get more annoyed than listening to reggie.

5. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Member

Why does he owe an apology to Rockets fans when Maxwell had a huge hand in getting Houston their first championship?

No one was saying Drexler wasn't respected--CBrownFanClub was implying that Maxwell had his teammates' respect because he was

"actually a great guy to have around when he was not flipping out - very loyal and committed, strange as it may sound."

6. Num1RoXfaN

Num1RoXfaN Member

I bet is because he played in houston and we all know how the tnt analyst like to haut on houston

7. t-mac4bigmac

t-mac4bigmac Member

For some reason he conveys that aloof personality when he's calling games, but during interviews, he's sounds a lot more composed and sociable. I think this is a matter of Clyde just not being a great color commentator. But I'm sure he gets plenty of respect from other players. Here are some interviews I just searched: At least, Mychal Thompson and Bill Russell seem to have great respect for Clyde.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rWOelYNvVIw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/brP0trDEixw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Clyde's biggest problem may be he was Michael Jordan-lite. He played in an era when he would be measured against the player who played the same position that many considered the greatest ever. He would always be #2 at best at his position during that era. Even when he went onto the Big Stage (NBA Finals), he was shown up by MJ. To an extent Mitch Richmond went through the same thing. History won't remember much about Mitch, but he was a hell of a SG, too. Clyde was even better. Neither were MJ.

The other thing I think about Clyde was that he didn't play in a huge market, which didn't help matters any.

BTW, anybody notice Kenny didn't pick Hakeem? b*stard. :)

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Well, to be fair, Clyde had more than just Terry Porter. He didn't have studs on the team, but he had pretty good players in Buck Williams, Jerome Kersey, and Rod Strickland in Portland.

Sadly his broadcasts are making him look like a joke, which is sad because if you saw him play, he was basically a less physical LeBron. He was just as explosive, could run the break just as well, and was just as unstoppable going to the basket. His athleticism was just as freaky. But now all we can see is how he apparently gave up on UH and he sounds like a goof on broadcasts.

10. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

Don't shoot the messenger, but Clyde is a pretty well known conservative, pro-business gentleman who frequently supports republican politicians, is a bit of a power broker in his own right, and also happens to be a black man. Not that all black men are cut from the same cloth, but I didn't see a lot of other guys on the dais sporting a trim Brooks Bros. look and a healthy disdain for MTV/hip hop culture. Clyde represents a minority of a minority. That probably explains any, if not all, of any misgivings his peers may have about him.

11. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Member

I apologize for reporting information as it was conveyed firsthand to me. My bad. I wlll simplify and fabricate next time so it conforms to your received wisdom about the team.

Everyone hated Vernon all the time because he is a bad guy.
    Everyone loved Clyde all the time because he is a nice guy.
    Yao Ming is not injured
    Flowers are pretty
    James Worthy Does Not Have Fetish for Ugly Women

1 person likes this.
  12. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not listening!

Mad Max helped bring us title #1, and was as good as they got playing D against MJ.

The other thing I forgot about Clyde is the guy still had some basketball in him when he left. He averaged 18-5-5 in that last year.

I still remember his near quadruple double on opening day. I think Othella Harrington missed a couple of shots that would have given him his 10th assist.

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Isn't Barkley a pretty Staunch Republican as well.

Rocket River

14. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Member

I remember him blasting Bush and the Republicans on TNT multiple times so I doubt it.

15. mario_v

mario_v Member

I do remember Barkley telling a story about when he told his grandmother that he was a republican and his grandma was like "but you're black"!

16. IamKhan

IamKhan Rookie

Nobody takes Barkley seriously.

17. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Member

his grandma said something like "but republicans are rich"

and charles said "but grandma i am rich!"

18. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Member

I remember watching a Clyde Drexler documentary on FSN years ago, and Drexler admitted he was a bad teamate in Portland for the first few years. Saying that he didn't take things as seriously as his teamates did and wanted him to take seriously. He said that once he became a better teamate they started winning and contending for championships. He then made it out to seem like his years as a Rocket were his best. Just a vague summary.

Maybe he called Kenny out on his declining production and called Barkley out on his gambling.

19. Shaud

Shaud Member

Were you in the lockerroom with them? If not **** up

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

full of win

clyde is a clubhouse lawyer like biggio who knows how to play the pr game. he wasn't even roasted over the uofh debacle