1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Clutchfans BBS redirecting to a sponsers webpage?

Discussion in 'ClutchFans Feedback' started by Kim, Jul 20, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

LOL

If you have been online for longer than 2 minutes, you can't "know for sure" that you havent already been infected.

they are everywhere, in the most innoculous places.

Mango, this is killing me, I dont quite understand why it is I'm not seeing this. What is it about my machine that is different than others?

damn, I hate things I cant figure out. :mad:

2. aka ace

aka ace Rookie

True, but I know for sure I don't have spyware/adware because I only visit a handful of legit websites and clutchfans is one of them. Btw, this laptop I use is for work use only so I only access the net via work connection (which is firewalled).

3. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Rockets2K,

My guess is that many of the affected went to a web site that had something for <I>Free</i> like Internet television. We also got a Tracking Cookie that laid dormant until we hit the right Ad that read the Cookie. It had some cryptic Javascript that did the redirects to Walmart, Home Depot and other ads.

It has quieted down about the redirects and I have no idea how much to attribute to <I>Clutch</I> changing something with the Ads and how much to people throwing away some bad <I>Cookies</I>.

I go to several South Asia news sites and Forums, so I have been gifted with a Cookie that gives me banner ads at Clutch Fans BBS for potential partners - wives with Indian ancestry.
    Simply Marry

The same three women are in a rotating picture sequence in the Banner Ads for <I>Simply Marry</I>. They aren't bad looking at all, but I wish they would have more than the same three women to look at in the picture rotation. If you are getting those same Banner Ads, I would be shocked.

At least I don't get ads for women's clothing and makeup.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

DUDE....don't go editing your post now.

;)

DD

5. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Frustrating. I've been out of town since Saturday so I haven't been on to see this thread. Here is a Texas Longhorns site that had the same problem at the same time:

http://www.shaggybevo.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=322563

... and it looks like they just have a basic Google ad (at the bottom) on the site too. I'll look at this today and see if I can get a response from Google... I'm sorry to all those who were redirected.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Clutch,

I am not certain it was a complete redirect, to me it looked like a full screen banner ad.....which made it seem like a re-direct.

DD

7. Little O

Little O Contributing Member

I am starting to get a lot more popups when visiting this site also.

And some redirects too. defnitely not a problem with this computer here as far as spyware is concerned.

8. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

9. aeroman10

aeroman10 Contributing Member

I also got pop-ups while browsing the forum today.
    I don't know what they were because Firefox blocked them.
    I am sure its not spyware - I am on Mac OS X

10. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

On occasion, when I clicked on some of the pages on clutchfans today, two separate windows with ads popped up.

Only happened on clutchfans and no where else. And not all the time but sometime.

11. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I got pop ups and redirects today in the Hang Out. This is happening on my work computer, which is very secure.

12. CharlieMurphy

CharlieMurphy Contributing Member

I also had four popups just now while browsing the forum. Second time it's happen today.

13. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

14. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Happening to me too. I read through the thread and someone mentioned it could be a rogue cookie causing the trouble. I've cleared out my cookies, so I will see if the issue continues.

15. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I just cleared out my cookies and re-logged in here. It looks like my other window is trying to do something. So it's like, you load a page and it displays the bbs page...but then it's still working like it's trying to load a big picture. The bottom says "waiting for lazzarettes.net" or something like that. And then it goes to the yellowpages website with random searches in my area. I'll clear cookies again and reboot. I have active McAfee virus protection and what not. And it's not happening at other websites. Hope it stops soon.

16. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

This has been happening to me for a little while too. Maybe a few days or a week-ish.

It's only happened on this site. And for what it's worth, I've only had it happen in the Hangout.

17. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Started happening for me to. Redirects me to a yellowpages type site for Littleton, CO. I've never even been there.

18. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

just happend to me too on my work machine (yellow pages). Figured it might be something on this computer, cause well.....they don't keep it in good condition.

Also, I just got a pop up saying I'm invited from Opinion Central.

19. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I've seen the survey pop-up before... happens once in a blue moon for me. I'm trying to find which network does it and weed it out.

I've never been redirected anywhere though. If it happens again to anyone, I would greatly appreciate any info on it (screencaps, the urls that you were redirected to, anything that looks like it might help me track it down). If it's on my end, I will get rid of it.

20. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Since I've cleared out my cookies, it hasn't happened to me again.