1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Clutchfans BBS redirecting to a sponsers webpage?

Discussion in 'ClutchFans Feedback' started by Kim, Jul 20, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I'm logged in and surfing the bbs: and I get forwarded to a web page that has a sign-up box for your email. At the top there's a separate area that says "please visit our sponsers".

I'm thinking I have some sort of spyware. I'm using firefox. Just wondering if it's an official Clutchfans bbs thing.

2. Pringles

Pringles Member

everything working fine for me in internet explorer.

3. JD2010

JD2010 Member

I'm on firefox and I'm not getting anything.
    As you said, it might be spyware.

4. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Kim

it IS adware on your machine.

I would be very surprised if it doesnt happen on other pages as well.

5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I'm facing the same problem as Kim. I haven't seen it on other pages as yet. I'm using Firefox too. I have run Spybot search and Destroy,but occasionally it still pops up. Can you give me some suggestions what should I do? Should I switch over to Internet Explorer?

6. Bassfly

Bassfly Member

i had the same problem last night, and it was only on this message board. i ran adaware and ccleaner and so far today i havent seen it return. i use firefox 3 btw.

7. saleem

It's been so far so good today for me too.

8. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

considering the responses, Im gonna guess that one of the ads that was being displayed *may* have been a shady one, one that randomly redirects to a diff page.

Ive heard of that happening before, one slipped by the adsense/google people and was sending people to other sites. Those ads arent supposed to do that, so afaik it rarely happens.

Keep us posted if it happens again, try to notice the site or ad that is showing when it happens and report back...that will help in determining what the issue is.

EDIT: oh, and for god's sake, dont switch from FF to IE :eek:
    remember.....FF >>>>> IE ;)

9. saleem

Thank you very much!

10. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

This was happening to me too yesterday. Then it stopped for a while and then it started again late last night.

At first it was only happening in Safari but not Firefox, then it was happening in both.

Of the 30 or so sites I visit regularly, this was the only one that was redirecting. No problems so far today though.

11. Batman Jones

Also, I googled the address it was redirecting to and saw that the Lakers fan site and a few other sites had had the same problem previously with redirecting to that address.

12. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I've been getting a lot of Lane Bryant ads.

I'm not fat, nor a chick.

13. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

I keep getting ads for:
    Simply Marry

The ads don't do anything harmful, but they need to rotate the faces beyond the same 3 - 4 that they keep showing.

14. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

I have been redirected a few times as well. Worse than the dancing chick!

But eh, this site hasn't historically been bad for ads like the others I go to.

15. Batman Jones

This site's never been bad at all when it comes to stuff like this. I'd live with all the pop-ups, banner ads, whatever. It's the redirect that sucks.

The other night when it was really bad, I saw a thread I wanted to click on and I tried for 30 minutes just to see what it said -- every time being kicked off of this site immediately -- before giving up.

Whatever was happening was not the result of any sort of normal ad behavior. It was a spammer. But it's been fine for more than 24 hours so hopefully it's over.

p.s. To the FF 3.0 user who wasn't having problems, I'm using 3.0 too. Most likely you just weren't trying to access the site when it was going on. It was only for a few hours at a time.

16. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks R2K. I think that is exactly what happened, but I've been trying to keep an eye on it. I've never been redirected and never seen it.

To be clear to everyone: I am very strict on the ads that display -- no pop-ups, no pop-unders, no expandables, no floating ads and no redirects. I also block flashing/warning ads, ads for adult/sexual content, gambling, sweepstakes, religion, tobacco and a host of others. I also have ads load in separate pages (iframes) so they do not slow the loading of the BBS.

I can restrict the ads, but that doesn't mean it's impossible something could slip through the cracks at an ad agency. Someone may come up with a new, creative way to get around that -- they eventually get caught and their ad pulled. I haven't seen that, but I'm guessing that is what happened (still watching though).

17. DaRock1

DaRock1 Member

As Houston Rockets fans, we are lucky that the fan site is being administrated by someone with such great integrity.

18. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I think one of the banner ads expand whenever my mouse scrolls over it.

19. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think this site has an a-hole re-director and it's sending a-holes to another site.

Wait.....what just happened to my screen? What site is this?

20. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

Just got redirected again. There's still roaches in joes apartment.