1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Clint Capela really the answer at the C position?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Snow Villiers, Oct 13, 2017.

?

Is Clint Capela really the answer at the C position?

1. Yes- Its just preseason

155 vote(s)
    71.1%
  2. No- Upgrade needed by the deadline

63 vote(s)
    28.9%
  1. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Such a stupid ****ing stat, get out of here.

SIL

2. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

! Perimeter defense was garbage. Let's start there.

rocketseagles07 and D-rock like this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Member

Harden's effect on Capela is so much more positive than negative. And Capela is a big, the D should be funneled towards him. Yao was an eraser around the rim and he had much less help on D. And even Dwight who everyone seems to criticize to no end had a more palpable presence on D.

Sanity2disChaos likes this.
  4. amaru

amaru Member

No he’s not. He’ll be gone when he gets overpaid

cheke64 likes this.
  5. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

You didn't really say anything related to what I said.

- Yes Harden helps Capela a lot. Harden is better than Capela. That still means Capela is PARTICULARLY good at playing PnR with Harden. It's not just good, it's incredible. And if it were Nene playing bigger minutes, he would not have better PnR numbers. Capela is good at this because he's Capela, and yes similar players might have similar results.

- Yes, the D should be funneled towards Capela in an advantageous way. Harden does not do that, that's beyond discussion. His guy is constantly free to attack from any angle at any time. Your C is not supposed to be THE defense, he's supposed to guard his guy, stay in front of wings on switches and help when the defense breaks down. Capela doesn't have to be an elite defender to achieve that. He is good at most of those things. He needs to be blip quicker, and that's an experience thing. His progression so far says he will improve yet again.

- Yao and Dwight were better. And there are many players not as good as them who are good defenders.

Vivi likes this.
  6. macan

macan Member

let's get cousins here

7. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Except it's not in the case of whining idiots having issues with a single game, so our role player wasn't awesome against 2 guys with a dozen all star appearances between them? yeah who would have thought...

Once our offense lost the roll option and hence had no pick and roll, it stymied into nothingness, could Capela be replaced by just about anyone with similar pick and roll skills? sure, it's about james and chris, but given harden and paul's (who wasn't playing) styles, it's an absolute must to have a pnr centre, and when one isn't there, that's when it all falls apart.

8. sTeKcOr22

sTeKcOr22 Member

He could be if he improves, but I feel he's peaked.

Harden/Capela have great chemistry though.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Patience is rewarded.

DD

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Tell that to Chris Paul.

CantBeRight likes this.
  11. omgTHEpotential

Capela is a really good placeholder for when Zhou is ready.

Mazulis likes this.
  12. J.R.

J.R. Member

Rockets' Clint Capela to become restricted free agent after season

Rockets center Clint Capela will become a restricted free agent next off-season, a person with knowledge of the Rockets' plans said.

The team and its starting center will let the today's deadline to reach an agreement on a contract extension pass.

Capela, 23,will begin his fourth season on Tuesday against the Warriors, but the Rockets have never signed one of their draft picks to a long-term extension while in their rookie contract. They will have the right to match any offer sheet he signs as a free agent in an off-season expected to be loaded with top talent and relatively little cap room.

Capela said he was unconcerned with being a free agent after the season.

"Honestly, my agent handles that," Capela said. "If I sign, that's good. But it won't matter. If I have to wait until next year, it won't bother me. I'm here. I'm healthy. I'm playing. That's all that matters."​

Vivi likes this.
  13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

No surprise Morey will have Capela go into RFA. The center market is at a surplus and there are few teams with cap room. And having Capela "restricted" will depress his value. That said, who is to say Capela is still on the team by next summer?

Vivi likes this.
  14. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

15. fattz

fattz Member

We like to find, over use the word potential, then the 3 years over development comes, followed by refusal to pay, then said player bust on his next team. After all that we go on the search for the next one. Repeat ...

The developmental system maybe broken but don’t say anything.

Patrick Patterson is the exception not the rule.

#95 fattz, Oct 16, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  16. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

He is a little soft with the ball at times and isn't really a good rim protector, but he is very serviceable on offense and fills a really important role on this team. He's replaceable, but not easily.

Sanity2disChaos likes this.
  17. fattz

fattz Member

He so easily replaceable but the team may have a little different look but that is more than okay. I personally would like to see a rebounding, lob catcher that focuses on protecting the rim. Just Black playing wouldn’t be a downgrade. Yes different but not wrong or bad. If he has any value please move him and cash in on it. Having him doesn’t move the needle one way or the other. I sure don’t want to pay for his Mediocrity.

18. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Yes if he becomes stronger in the paint by going up strong and catching passes below his shoulders. Clint's game is very poor when it comes to strength on the offensive end.

19. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

Here are some better questions to ask, OP.

Does Clint Capela really need to be the answer in order for the Rockets to win?

Golden State just won a championship with Zaza Pachulia at center, do you think Zaza is a better player than Clint?

If you think we need a replacement for Clint then how do we get one that is better without having to give up half our team?

See, the problem with this discussion is that there isn't a real solution to the question. Just a bunch of hyperbole.

20. AB423

AB423 Member

He’s a finesse player