1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Clint Capela really the answer at the C position?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Snow Villiers, Oct 13, 2017.

?

1. Yes- Its just preseason

155 vote(s)
    71.1%
  2. No- Upgrade needed by the deadline

63 vote(s)
    28.9%
  1. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

DMo was playing at a very high level, before the back injury that KO'd his career. Why is this so hard for folks to grasp?

And, CC rocks.

2. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I believe it’s like a Parsons restricted free agency situation.

Rockets were trying to bring in Melo or Bosh and then sign Parsons; therefore taking the Rockets over the hard cap.

Parsons got impatient and jumped the gun and signed Cubans offer sheet. This set off the timer on a deadline
    on the Rockets matching that offer. Think the deadline to sign the offer sheet was like 72 hrs back then.

Bosh was pussie-footing around waiting to see what LeBron was going to do. LeBron was hoping Bosh would
    join Houston, thus opening up the Miami roster to include LeBron and Melo.
    Your basic “Cluster-**** situation.”

Parsons could have stayed in Houston if he wanted too. Capela can stay this summer if he wants. Houston hopes
    to sign their main pieces (Harden/CP3/ & 3rd Star)......then Capela. Question is will it be Nerlens Noel money
    or Parsons money. I’m guessing Parsons money. Capela is proving himself. 31 mins last night vs Cavs.

amaru and D-rock like this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Member

I was wrong about Capela and happy to eat my crow. As long he continues to play like he has so far this season he could be the perfect fit at the 5 for the Rockets.

His rim protection and fire have improved leaps and bounds. Wow.

Bo6, Houstunna, Mirri3000 and 2 others like this.
  4. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Much respect D-rock

D-rock likes this.
  5. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

I think hes a great 5 against teams similar to size than us. But against big teams, it shows more obviously why we need someone bigger. He gets knocked around a lot by bigger teams, but against smaller teams, the guy does great.

saleem likes this.
  6. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Are you mad? o_O;)

Lets hope Clint shows up like this in the playoffs. :)

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

its a good thing none of those "bigger" teams are actual contenders anyway

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I believe the "can't outprice himself" quote is strategic, Capela's going to sign the largest contract offered no matter what Morey says, but as seen with restricted free agents of late, teams are hesitant to tie up their cap early in FA if they believe the RFA will be matched. Morey isn't a fool.

I also have a really hard time believing we'd ever let him walk, way too valuable of an asset, we either S&T him or keep him... and it would have been extremely foolish for Morey to extend Capela this season, he has to stay flexible in case we need to open up space for a star free agent, Capela's cap hold is only 7 million, why would he shoot himself in the foot and add another 10 million to that contract before nececssary? Morey is Mr.Flexibility him self.

hakeem94 and ApacheWarrior like this.
  9. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

This has been the knock on Capela.

I think the Rockets response to that is something like: “there are only about 5 big centers out there that matter.”
    Most don’t play for a contender. Marc Gasol, Pau Gasol and LMA mostly play a soft game now. Outside shooting.

It’s the rebounding that they out muscle Clint.
    That’s when Nene and T. Black are suppose to step up.

I wonder if the Rockets can find a big guy on the cheap
    by the trading deadline behind Nene, if Black is not the answer. Chinanu won’t cut it.

D-rock likes this.
  10. OTMax

OTMax Member

Really wonder when Capela will be trusted with more minutes. It’s time he proves he can indeed stay efficient and we can rely on him for 30-35 minutes a game. His per 36 is crazy good!!

11. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

I agree with this. I would like it if we could find a big guy just to have. Hell even someone like Asik. Just to throw him in at center. We could even run a capela at 4 position at some times.

12. Zergling

Zergling Member

If the question is the answer to beat the Warriors? The answer is still no. He'll have his great regular season games from time to time, but we've already seen his playoff woes. Look at his game vs the Warriors this year. He's just not a good matchup for them especially when they go small with Green at C.

We still need a post scoring threat like Cousins if we really want to beat this team in a 7 game series. Speaking of Cousins, look at his recent game logs vs the Warriors. That's the type of player we need.

13. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

This is why Houston was looking for Melo to come in, and guard Draymond Green when he moves to center.
    He wouldn’t stop Draymond; but make him work defensively. Possibly negating a lot in the plus/minus with
    his offense.

Think about it. Draymond is a power forward that moves to center. Move our power forward to center.
    This is why I think Houston is still looking for a Power Forward upgrade at the trading deadline. Ryan
    may not be the answer because Draymond is so much faster than Anderson. Luc MaM may be too weak.
    Tucker may play too grounded to compete with Draymond. Ariza is like Luc.....to thin.

Similar to LeBron playing power forward or center. Promising to see how Houston played LeBron
    last night without Luc. Defense by committee. Maybe what is in store for Draymond in the playoffs.

D-rock likes this.
  14. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Well the Rockets will continue to improve this team. I see CP3 sticking around.

amaru likes this.
  15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why is it shocking? It makes perfect sense. By declaring he will keep Capela at all costs he will scare other teams from bidding him up.

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I'd rather put Capela on Green defensively than Melo any day of the week.

17. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I’m good with Capela. Warriors try to isolate Curry on Capela on the perimeter because of the quick release of Curry
    and his ability to go around Capela. But I feel Capela does an adequate job.

It’s about the 5 players having the ability to shoot 3’s and space the floor even greater when Draymond moves to the
    5-spot. We lose that ability to match that if Capela is on the court. Ryan is just too slow footed. Ibaka was good
    at matching Draymond and actually looked like a better Draymond a few years back. Not too many players
    and teams can match Draymond versatility.

18. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

With the continued growth of CC, a healthy CP3, and James,we're a nightmare matchup for GS...EG.....Luc/Tucker. THEY will have to adjust to US.That's without what we add.

D-rock and Houstunna like this.
  19. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Just a glance over the up coming free agents this summer:

Mike Muscala (Atl—player option): shot 41.8% from 3 in 16/17 season
    Mirotic (Bulls—team option): shot 39.0% from 3 in 15/16 season
    Josh McRoberts (Mavs—UFA): shot 41.9% from 3 in 16/17 season (22 games played)

Could they give the Rockets more defensively than Ryan Anderson?

Then there is: (for depth)......I’m fine with T Black
    Willie Reed (Clippers—UFA)
    Kyle O’Quinn (Knicks—player option)
    Dedmon (Atl—player option)

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

The only way you can beat the warriors is if you can protect the rim and make the game physical so that their 3 point shot falters. It's not good enough to simply have a hand up. You have to make them work very hard. In other words tire them out with physicality. Not sure that will even work.

Clint can protect the rim. If you can take away their drives you can play them tighter around the 3 point line. If they pull Capela out by putting Green outside it means they don't have any offensive rebounding threats and will be weak on the boards on the other end as well. I can live with that exchange for sure.

On the other end Capela is becoming an excellent PnR player and because he finishes with dunks and is making is FT's he's becoming a weapon. His passing is much improved as well.

I'll say it again - the weakness on this team is the Ariza-Anderson pairing in the forward spots. Tucker doesn't solve that.

D-rock likes this.