1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Clint Capela really the answer at the C position?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Snow Villiers, Oct 13, 2017.

?

Is Clint Capela really the answer at the C position?

1. Yes- Its just preseason

155 vote(s)
    71.1%
  2. No- Upgrade needed by the deadline

63 vote(s)
    28.9%
  1. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

You watching this game?

Dwight's far superior to Capela. Just a horrible personality.

SIL

2. The Greyhound 33

One day: no! He’s trash!
    Next day: give him the max!
    Next day: he just doesn’t have it.
    Next day: MAX

J Sizzle likes this.
  3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Clips keep winning without CP3 and start work on 'unfinished business'

They could have walked that free-agency path with Paul instead of Griffin; Paul is a more attractive magnet for the Banana Boat generation. They had chances to trade one cornerstone big man for picks and players who would fit with Paul. Teams called regularly about Griffin. The Clippers have explored DeAndre Jordan trades, though perhaps only one proposal -- a deal which would have sent Jordan to Houston at least season's trade deadline for Clint Capela, picks and players -- ever gained semiserious traction, league sources say.

D-rock, Vivi, BigMaloe and 1 other person like this.
  4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I saw all those missed free throws down the stretch, and I saw him cancerize every other team he has ever been on. Just for that alone, Clint Capela >>> for the Houston Rockets. NOT. EVEN. CLOSE.

5. ilias

ilias Member

I wonder what the offer was, what other players were involved. Anderson makes sense from a salary point of view. Would Capela and Anderson be enough for the Clippers? They might ask for picks so that they can offload Anderson to a third team. I am not even sure Houston does this unless we think we can re-sign Jordan to a reasonable deal.

Replacing Jordan with Capela might make sense for the Clippers if they feel they are not ready to compete. Signing Capela to a reasonable deal (say $12-15m per year) opens up cap space they can use to upgrade their shooting guard spot. Eg they could spend $30-35m combined on Avery Bradley and Capela instead of re-signing Jordan at $30m.

6. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

LOL! No wonder they demoted Rivers. Capela AND players AND picks? F you.

Remember Jordan is 29 and still shoots 40% at the FT line and wants $25m+ for years into his mid 30's. I'll take our chances with Capela even if we have to pay him 15-20m in his mid 20's.

The Warriors will murder us if they get to send Jordan to the line whenever he's near the basket. Will be 4 on 5 basketball.

7. foggy94

foggy94 Member

Could have just been Dekker and Montrezl like they got with the Paul trade - they would have been going young in this rebuild scenario.

8. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Actually, he's up to 52% this year and made a pretty decent climb to 48% last year. Of course, that's nothing compared to Clint's climb from 53% to 91%! And all of Clint's makes have been swishes too. At this point, I'm tempted to have him shoot the technical free throws.

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

haha "up" hes just going to go back down to .50 or below as the season goes on, especially when teams start actually fouling him on purpose

10. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

It's early in the season. IMO both Clint and DeAndre will come back down as the season goes on. I see Clint finishing near 70% this season, but Jordan imo will end up in the 40's again. The more prevalent point here is, Capela can continue to improve on his FT's for years. Jordan is not going to change, he's 29.

You already see people talking ish about Capela's ONCE AGAIN steady improvement in performance, but this guy has never failed us. He has improved every year, and he is STILL young at 23 years old. His defense is better too and will solidify as the team meshes - but it will be difficult as long as we start 2 (Harden and Anderson) atrocious defenders. Both Harden and Anderson are making a better effort this season, but my eye is on whether Paul will kick their a$$ when they slip up. I don't want defensive excellence from these guys, I just want effort. I want to see their man have to beat them - however easily - rather than be left open all the time. My dream of course is that Tucker works his way into shape and unseats Anderson as the starter. Anderson would look TREMENDOUS backing up the 4 and 5. I acknowledge it's a long-shot though.

The future is looking good. This team is masterfully constructed given the resources and opportunities at our disposal.

BigMaloe likes this.
  11. OTMax

OTMax Member

I can’t say I’m not intrigued, but I wanna stick with a drafted guy who’s improved every year over an overpaid unworthy all-star..

12. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Last year it made absolute sense.

We were really good, and needing a jolt of energy and excitement that acquiring DJ would do. Our defense while better was in desperate need of getting better.

Dj for all his knucklehead moments and bad ft shooting, would have been a huge upgrade to our defense. I really like capela but he still has a ways to go to become a top end defender like dj.

But now, it just doesn't make sense. We got Paul instead, along with other defenders, and decided to focus more on perimeter defense and switching and hope capela continues to improve.

His defense is still only average but it has improved every year. His offense has really been improving.

I prefer bird rights and youth, and I'm sure morey does too now with Paul

13. OTMax

OTMax Member

Our perimeter D is our focus? Let’s hope we improve big time there because we’ve not been great. Inside we’ve been much better

14. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Of course it has with pj mbah and Paul signings.

We have been much better inside because of that perimeter defense. Preventing drivesvand easy looks at the rim has to do with being able to switch defensively on the perimeter.

This was a huge reason our interior sucked last year

Daddy Long Legs and D-rock like this.
  15. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

I agree with that.

Just as an individual player, Dwight's way better.

SIL

16. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

no, small sample size

17. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Large sample size. Look at their careers.

SIL

18. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Outside the debate on who is better? Dwight or Capela?

I’m not sure you understand the salary cap. You would have the Rockets 5 starters each making $23-Plus million.
    Easy to do when it’s not your money and you are not paying the luxury tax year after year.

Capela salary is 2.3 million. Rockets didn’t give Capela an extension prior to the season. Makes Capela
    a restricted free agent at seasons end. Rockets saw Nerlens Noel go thru RFA this past summer getting
    $4.2 mil with little competition on bids for him. Houston will let the market set Capela salary this summer.
    Perhaps let him walk like they did with Parsons.
    Guessing that’s why they drafted Zhou Qi. Decision will be made by this upcoming summer on whether to
    go forward with Qi, or keep this thing intact.

Compare Capela numbers to other centers......with salaries in mind.

Player: Salary(17/18)

DeAndre Jordan: $ 22.7 mil
    Whiteside: $23.8 mil
    Ant Davis: $23.8 mil
    Cousins: $18.1 mil (free agent to be this summer)
    D12: $ 23.5 mil (refuses to run Pick-n-Roll)
    Drummond: $23.8 mil
    Brook Lopez: $22.6 mil
    Mozgov: $15.3 mil
    None have sniffed the finals (last 2 yrs) with exception to Mozgov; who was riding the tail coats of LeBron/Kyrie

Nerlens Noel: $4.2 mil
    Capela: $2.3 million

Notice that the two teams (Cavs/Warriors) that found the finals most often the past 3 years make
    do with patch work center play.
    CAVS: Tristan ($16.4 mil)/ Frye ($7.4 mil) [Ryan Anderson is our Kevin Love]
    WARRIORS: Zaza ($3.5 mil)/ McGee (($2.1 mil)/ D West ($2.3 mil). Add Jordan Bell (on rookie contract)

#358 ApacheWarrior, Oct 30, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
    D-rock likes this.
  19. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Dude, I'm not talking about any of that.

I'm talking strictly physical talent and ability. Dwight's superior.

I've already stated I'd rather have Capela on this team. And it goes without saying, I rather his contract too.

SIL

20. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I did say “outside” that debate.

I’m just sticking with the thread topic. Then you and I are on the same page with continued run with Capela