1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Chris Paul or Dwight Howard Better Free-Agent Fit for Houston Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jocar, Jun 5, 2013.

?

If you have to chose one, who?

1. CP3

21.7%
  2. DH12

66.1%
  3. WD-40

12.2%
  1. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

wait, what?

2. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

CP3 was quoted that he wanted a black coach. Ex. McMillian, Hollins, Scott

3. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

First, CP3 isn't leaving the Clippers.

Second, you don't need an alstar point guard to win a championship. In fact using cap space on a max point guard would almost guarantee that you won't win a championship. (Tony Parker is an exception)

Third, There are maybe 5 good centers in the league and we would have 2 of them.

I'm not a DH12 fan at all but taking the #1 center in the league is a no brainer. I picked WD40 btw, that $h1t fixes anything.

4. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

You honestly think Asik is a top FIVE center in the league? What about Marc Gasol, Joakim Noah, Brook Lopez, Roy Hibbert and Al Horford? off the top of my head (not to mention Dwight also crowding out a spot)

5. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

But realistically talking, how many teams in recent years have won a championship without an all-star caliber PG?

6. pnr

pnr Member

Heat, Mavericks, Lakers.

7. pnr

pnr Member

You don't need an all star level PG per se, but you need an all star level playmaker and that doesn't necessarily come from the 1 spot depending on the team.

8. samoy

samoy Member

would someone mind if they tell me who is wd40 ?

9. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

the heat didn't and dont really have a true PG.

Jason Terry was an all star caliber player. Fisher was also, but the lakers were another team similar to the heat who didn't function primarily off the PG.

we're not like the lakers or heat and we need to function off of our PG for the rest of the team to be successful.

10. pnr

pnr Member

Really? :confused:

We need to function off the best player on the team, and that's not the PG unless Cp3 comes here, which isn't happening. And what makes you think the Rockets need to be different to the Heat or Lakers? Both of those teams along with the Rockets have/had a dominant wing player that didn't play at the 1 position. If Dwight comes here there is even less of a need for a star PG considering we already have a star guard that handles the ball most of the time.

11. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

Fisher was never close to an all-star caliber player. I just had to chime in.

12. pwnyxpress

Jason Terry was not an all star caliber player lol. He isn't even a true PG. lulwut

And I second pnr, why do we have to function off our PG to be successful? I can see Harden taking up a large part of those duties...as he sort of already does. Certainly gets way more assists a game than Terry :p

13. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

My point with the first sentence is that while we do need to function off the best player, we need a GOOD pointguard. Right now Lin is questionable at most, and very inexperienced. If you dont agree that fisher was an allstar caliber PG, you can't disagree that his experience and leadership skills made him a worthy PG of a championship team. I'm pretty much saying we need a good pointguard if we plan on winning a championship.

the difference between us and a team like the heat and lakers right now, is that we don't have a post game, and we don't have good big men other than asik. We're a small team AS OF NOW. If Dwight comes here and we can get another pickup i'm sure that all will change, but falling back on my initial point, we need someone who we can trust to run the point. Doesn't have to be CP3, but we need some experience.

So maybe what i'm saying is we need a better FIT pointguard. Rather than saying we need a superstar PG, because i agree we don't need a superstar, but a star or a potential all star caliber PG.

14. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

Terry was 6th man of the year in 09. You can't say the guy sucks. and at only 6'2 what else could he play other than a PG being that short?

but in response to the second part, Harden did take a large part of those duties this season which almost half and half the times came to bite us in the ass (everyone always flamed harden and his isoball when crunch time came) he had some good shots and did ok. but we shouldn't have to depend on harden trying to run the point late in the game to save our ass by just doing some juke moves and trying for the long 3.

15. pwnyxpress

Don't put words in my mouth. I never said Terry sucks...I said he's not an all star caliber player, much less an all star caliber PG. I hope you're joking that just because he's 6'2 it means he must auto-qualify as a PG only in the nba......dude had like 4 assists during Dallas' championship yr.

I disagree with your overall premise that Lin is faulty enough that we can't win a ring with him at the PG spot. He's certainly very comparable or better than what the Heat had during 2005-2006 at the PG spot (Jason Williams) and last yr (Mario Chalmers). Lin's also comparable or better than what Dallas ran 2 seasons ago. LAL is arguable -- Fisher is not all star caliber, but he does have a lot of experience. Too old now, but a few yrs ago, still brought something to the table. But that's just arguable. The whole point is we don't NEED an all star caliber PG to win a ring. If you're going to move the target now, then sure, maybe some people will agree with your new assessment.

16. harden man

harden man Member

Paul not coming....EVER>.....Lin is staying unless he goes to LA but theres n o need for a trade for Howard as hes a free agent....And the fact is, we were fine at PG last season but lacked a force down low;.....HOWARD or a 4.....

thats what they are gpong to try to do.....PAUL IS NOT COMING

17. hooroo

hooroo Member

8.3 million cap room is more than valuable to the Rockets than Lin.

The Heat couldn't win without a bench, now suddenly the Rockets can?

Potentially, that 8.3 can be divvied up into 3 players. A PG (Jack/Llull/Robinson/Udrih), Wing (Dunleavy/Garcia/Korver), and PF (Brand/Landry).

Beverly, (Jack/Llull/Robinson/Udrih)
    Harden, (Dunleavy/Garcia/Korver)
    Parsons, Jones (Room excpt: Delfino/Dahntay Jones)
    Howard, (Brand/Landry), D-Mo
    Asik, Smith, Aldemir
    + 34th pick

1 yr guaranteed contracts help keep one foot in the door for LeBron in 2014.

Asik's contract would then be the only obstacle to the LeBron sweepstakes.

Right now about 7 teams have a need and have the means for a starting C like Asik. I expect at least 4 or 5 of those teams to carry on looking for the next 2 or 3 years.

18. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

wtf??

19. pwnyxpress

Um, how do you expect to turn $8.3M into say Jack and Landry and another player, much less just those two. I mean, Jack is coming off a great yr and already made $5.4M last season. Landry has a player option for $4M and would only be on the market if he thinks he deserves more. That's almost $10M right there. We could also just use room MLE on a player like Garcia to keep our bench afloat.

If we kept Lin and had a bench of:

Bev/Garcia (room MLE)/TJones/DMo/maybe GSmith (if Dwight agrees to a very minor paycut)...I would say this is way better than Heat's bench that first yr. And they did get to the finals :p I'm okay with getting to the Finals, losing to the Heat, watch them bust apart next yr, get some more vet min players a la Heat style and then winning a ring in 2015 :)

Bunch of the players you listed btw would have much better deals than to take a 1 yr deal with us...unless we were paying really high amounts for that 1 yr deal, which we can't if we only have $8.3M to play with. DAL would easily outbid us in this scenario.

20. YoungGods

YoungGods Member

OMG, you don't know him? The dude is legendary.;)