1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Chris Johnson the NFL's best running back?

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by mjharleem22, Nov 25, 2009.

1. mjharleem22

mjharleem22 Member

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Is-Chris-Johnson-the-NFLs-best-running-back.html

[​IMG]

is quite possibly the most exciting player in the NFL. And after another 100-yard performance on Monday night against the Texans, I believe it is time to raise the stakes when it comes to the NFL’s leading rusher.

That is why I am posing the question to you this morning: Is Johnson the best running back in the National Football League?

AP
    A.P. doesn't make as many plays in the passing game as Johnson does.
    Now, before we get into this discussion—or argument—I am well aware of Adrian Peterson up in Minnesota. If we would take both A.P. and Johnson and put them back at the NFL Combine together, most of us would draft Peterson on his measurables. He looks like an NFL running back, and up on that stage at the Combine—where players are on display like livestock—A.P. will turn heads. He is 6-1, 217 pounds and runs with the power of a fullback and with the speed of a wide receiver. Once Peterson gets to the second level, he has a variety of tools at his disposal that can fend of tacklers and make even the toughest of safeties in the league look weak—and small.

The question with A.P. has always been his reliability out of the backfield in the passing game. Last season, Peterson only caught 21 passes from the running back position, but with the addition of Brett Favre—who has vaulted this Vikings offense to another level—Peterson has become more of a complete back, catching 25 passes already this season for an average of 8.8 yards a grab.

In ‘09, A.P. has 999 yards on the ground, with an average of 4.9 yards per carry to go along with 11 TDs. That’s good for third in the league behind Steven Jackson of the Rams (1,031 yards) and Johnson, who has posted a big number through ten games—1,242 yards and 6 TDs, to go along with an eye-opening average of 6.2 yards per carry.

But those are just numbers, right? Sure, and at times it is hard to compare numbers, especially since the Vikings have started to throw the ball with much more production under Favre than last season. They are a more complete offense that doesn’t have to rely on Peterson to produce the big play week in and week out.

AP
    Johnson is on his way to 2,000 yards.
    And Tennessee, even with the return of Vince Young, is still a team that counts on Johnson to give them that big play either out of the backfield as a receiver or running, pressing the edge and turning the ball up the field with more speed than anyone I have ever seen in a set of pads.

That is why numbers and stats in this league can sometimes lead us down the wrong path when considering one player over another. But maybe the one big number that stands out is reliability at the position. In just over a year-and-a-half, Johnson has fumbled twice, while Peterson, in two-and-a-half-plus seasons, has put the ball on the ground 17 times—a pretty substantial number when it comes to the running back position.

So, there has to be an answer here, right?

Both backs can break games wide open, and every time they touch the ball we expect to see big things happen. Whether it be A.P. running through the second level of the defense and hardly breaking stride or Johnson turning the corner, making one move and then running down the field like he is taking part in an offseason conditioning drill on his way to another TD. They both bring excitement to the pro game that we haven’t seen in a while, and they both have us wanting more every time we see them play—because they are just that good.

But, it is hard not to notice Johnson’s overall impact at the position for the Titans. He is a game-planning nightmare because he can run routes out of the backfield that always provide the Titans with the advantage when it comes to matchups. There isn’t a linebacker in this league that can match Johnson’s lateral quickness in the flat or if he is working over a safety in the middle of the field on an option route. Seventy-three receptions in his career so far proves that, and watching him block in the open field and in pass protection is something I would not have expected when he came out of the draft.

AP
    And, that is why I am starting to lean his way whenever the running back discussion is brought up. And as we have seen, he is becoming more powerful at the point of contact and does have the natural ability to break tackles and use his quickness in the open field that leave defenders standing still.

Yes, Peterson is a running back that each and every team in the entire league would take over its current starter—except in Nashville.

And I have to agree, because Chris Johnson is not only the best running back in the NFL, he is also the best true football player at the position.

2. Landlord Landry

Chris Brown was traded to the Texans?

3. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Lock and Ban and stick in a woodshed with 30 bumblebees with light sabers for stingers.

4. v3.0

v3.0 Member

No, he actually signed as a free agent.

5. Kate81

Kate81 Member

Top 2, can't say best.

But this thread is fair game, OP is obviously trying to rub it in. But its not like the Texan fans in this section weren't rubbing it in after they beat the Titans on the road earlier this year.

6. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Possibly, but A.P. is still out there.

I think these two will be trading places as the best rusher through each season, like Smith and Sanders.

I don't think you will be able to say which is the best until the end of their careers (or until goes down with a serious injury).

Though, I believe these are the two premier backs of the league, then it's everyone else.

It wouldn't be a stretch to say that these two are very dominating running backs who are threat to put up 120+ yards against any defense.

7. Kate81

Kate81 Member

Good post, my thoughts exactly. If I had the power, I'd rep this post.

8. Landlord Landry

lol, wow, talk about fail.

Chris Johnson is obviously what I meant.

idiot, f-ing idiot, f-ing idiot...whaaaww.
    [​IMG]

9. Tfj4

Tfj4 Member

I hate to say it but yes

PS: Dish him a screen on Madden and he's gone =)

10. emjohn

emjohn Member

Very fair question to debate. He's an incredible all around back

11. Asian Sensation

I'd take him over AP. His lateral movements are the best I've seen since Barry Sanders. Plus I think he's a much better catcher out of the backfield. Completely different styles though but if I had first pick I'm taking CJ... he looks like LT in his prime.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Johnson might be the most fluid and explosive. But it all depends on situation. For example, put Steven Jackson with the Colts and you might have the best player in the league.

13. v3.0

v3.0 Member

tipjar buddy, so you can edit your egregious errors. I knew who you meant but couldn't help myself. :grin:

http://www.clutchfans.net/tipjar.cfm

14. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Member

No but quite possibly the ugliest running back in the NFL.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Obito

Obito Member

It's definitely close between him, AP and MJD. You can't go wrong with any of them.

16. Kam

Kam Member

I think those are perma gold grills.

17. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

MJD is the best.

Put him on Titans line or the Vikings line, he will be great.