1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is China invading Taiwan inevitable and what will US defend it??

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by saitou, May 26, 2022.

?

Will China invade Taiwan?

1. Yes

19 vote(s)
    61.3%
  2. No

12 vote(s)
    38.7%
  1. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

She's not even close to the longest serving member right now. She only got elected in the mid 80s. Patrick Leahy got elected in 1974 and he's still around. Even Mitch McConnell got elected before Pelosi.

There are multiple members of the House that are older than her too. Long story short, we have tons of dinosaurs in Congress.

2. dmoneybangbang

Too late to do that without most likely invoking an actual military response by China.

3. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I would view Taiwan as a self-govern territory of China. I dont think we would respond positively if Russia so happened to set up a base in PR.

4. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

uhm, there's an actual precedent for this.

Bobby Kennedy wrote a book about it.

5. Nook

Nook Member

We aren’t threatening to force PR to be a state. We also are not actively attempting to attack PR either.

We need to set up a military base in Taiwan. We will leave when the Taiwanese want us to leave.

6. Nook

Nook Member

Should have been done years ago, but I would do it now.

7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Taiwan could have went nuclear in the mid 60s-70s but the US stopped the program and agreed to put them under their umbrella.

With bases, the government at the time still thought of retaking the mainland and didn't really give up the idea until the 90s when it finally rolled back martial rule and started democratizing the government. I guess if Taiwan delcared independence after Nixon flipped it's position with the PRC, then a lot of this wouldn't be happening.

Or maybe it still would, since China is hellbent on taking control of the South China Sea.

Nook likes this.
  8. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Lots of huffing and puffing from China. It's all cool and fun until someone misses their target.

9. apollo33

apollo33 Member

are you sure Taiwan wants that. Because that would mean war for everyone

10. Nook

Nook Member

The offer has been made and should be made again in the future.

The Taiwan Relations Act etc.

I don't think it would actually lead to war (a base)

I do think that it would escalate a Cold War, but China already started one with us some time ago.

I will say that the media portrays China as the complete aggressor, and while I chiefly believe that China is at fault.... the reality is that the US has more than doubled, and nearly tripled it's military presence in Taiwan over the last few years. We have deployed special units to train the Taiwanese military for some time and we also have been sharing intelligence. This has happened under Trump and continued under Biden.

Pooh loves to say that China will have the capacity to have a successful invasion into Taiwan by 2025. He is likely right, unless the US steps in. Trump did push Taiwan to increase their military defense spending and they have done so.

150 years ago China and the US would just sit down and agree that the USA gets Cuba and the related islands and China gets Taiwan. In some ways it was just easier.

Xerobull and FranchiseBlade like this.
  11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

150 years ago the US with other countries was carving up China into separate foreign concession areas. If the Chinese didn't agree they invaded. One reason why the PRC is so sensitive about things like Taiwan, HK and Tibet is that they believe that it's foreign powers trying again to carve up China.

FranchiseBlade and adoo like this.
  12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

US getting some excellent intelligence on the Chinese military -- Nancy working overtime.

#TitsOut

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I'm afraid it's inevitable. China and Russia are governed by evil dictators, and, worse than that, a very large percentage of the population supports them.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

China won't invade they will play long game like they did with Hong Kong. Their economy collapses if they piss off the USA.

DD

Nook and rocketsjudoka like this.
  15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I called it @rocketsjudoka - China will go to the blockade long before it seriously considers invasion. US has no answer to it even with superior navies

16. adoo

adoo Member

think ur being sarcastic.

none of the US allies recognizes Taiwan as a sovereign state and does not regard the authorities in Taiwan as having the status of a national government.

Many of them have officially recognized Taiwan as a province of the PRC

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I didn't know Mahanian was a word before this (armchair flex), but I don't think he uses it the way China sets it out to be.

18. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Of course the PRC isn’t going to go to direct military action. Very little in their thinking indicates that they would suddenly do something that rash. Or have the capability to do so.

Also “impeding shipping” isn’t the same as a full in blockade.

19. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Yes I think this is still long game. Besides the practical considerations of attempting an invasion they have to consider the weakness of their economy.

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you do something dramatic it may force a US response. But if you do something small, say start by impeding shipping when the US takes a provocative action like when a congressman visits Taiwan, the US won't react. Each time you just increase the response a bit...and over time you're going to end up with essentially a naval blockade but without provoking a US response.

If I'm China, that seems the best strategy possible. Don't have to risk troops on the ground or dealing with Taiwan's defenses, minimizes a confrontation with the US, but still gives me a pathway to exercising control of the economy and putting pressure on Taiwan to behave and ultimately lay the foundation for conquest.