1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Cecil Cooper a keeper? NOT!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by WoodlandsBoy, Sep 15, 2007.

1. MaxwellsTemper

Fair enough.

2. ThePrivate

ThePrivate Member

CCoop will be named the next manager. He is qualified, and more importantly in Uncle Drayton's eyes, he is African-American.

Around the MLB circles, everyone knows that the Uncle doesn't have any African-American ballplayers on his roster or execuitives in his organization.

The Billionaire ole country boy from Temple is feeling the pressure that he is racist, so he will try to make good by hiring CCoop.

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I haven't followed the Astros much this year, but Cooper seems to be a really nice guy. Almost too nice to be an effective manager. Hope he does well next year.

4. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Member

Umm. Ricky Bennett says hello.

I'm very displeased with Cooper since he took over. Scott has been crushing the ball whenever he played the last month and yet he can't get in the lineup at all. When was the last time he was allowed to play against a lefty? Coop is just about as bad as Garner.

5. ThePrivate

ThePrivate Member

Wow, I am shock somebody actually knows that. I just hope you didn't have to look it up in the Astros' program, media guide, or website. Have you ever seen him be interviewed by the media?

Do you actually believe uncle drayton has any plans of promoting this guy to the gm position, not just an assistant?

6. The Cat

The Cat Member

It's not what you think. Cooper hinted strongly when he took over that he had more faith in Scott than Garner did, and that he knew what to expect from Scott going into next season. As such, since the season is over, he's playing more younger players who he still needs to evaluate. Luke's a fixture in the lineup (barring a trade) going into next season... this is simply a product of being 20 games under in September.

And to be fair, Scott's been crushing the ball for the last four months. :)

7. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Member

Hi. I didn't know about that. I hope you're right. I think Luke's a really good player.

8. msn

msn Member

This is a stupid, stupid post.

This part takes the cake: The Billionaire ole country boy from Temple is feeling the pressure that he is racist, so he will try to make good... Let's see, so if he is a) a billionairre, b) from the country, or c) from Temple, he *must* be a racist. I think *you're* the one guilty of profiling here, not Drayton McLane.

And no, Aces did *not* have to "look it up in the media guide". Many of us common folk (uh-oh, does that make me "racist", too?) are quite aware of who works for the Astros organization.

Do you know who hired the first African-American GM in MLB history? Your "good ol' boy racist" buddy, Drayton McLane.

9. The Cat

The Cat Member

Found it for you:

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/news/...t_id=2184869&vkey=news_hou&fext=.jsp&c_id=hou

10. weslinder

weslinder Member

11. msn

msn Member

The funniest thing is how he says, "Around MLB circles, everyone knows", as if a) he's ever set foot within 100 miles of "MLB circles" and b) knows who "everyone" even freaking is, much less what "everyone" knows. He didn't even "know" about Bennett and Cabell.

Memo to all who want to cry racist: do a lot of investigation before you open your mouth; and so save yourself from looking like an arrogant and ignorant ass in public.

12. weslinder

weslinder Member

If you go to the offseason team pep rally/sales pitch thing, after Drayton and any new players, Ricky Bennett is one of the most visible Astros there. For a front-office guy who's not a GM, Bennett gets a pretty good bit of face time.

13. ThePrivate

ThePrivate Member

I stand by my opinion.

When the Uncle has at least 4 African American players on the Astros' roster, have representation in each minor league system, and his President is not Tal Smith but a qualified African American, then and only then will I change my opinion.

14. weslinder

weslinder Member

All of MLB must be racist.

15. The Cat

The Cat Member

I see. So the Astros top priority in shaping their roster and their organizational structure (president) shouldn't be doing what they view gives them the best chance to win games. It should be representing African Americans. :rolleyes:

Also, if it's your opinion, don't preface it by saying "around MLB circles," as if it's something more than you.

16. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

Then you sir, are a racist.

If your priority is merely the promotion of a single race instead of the promotion of qualified candidates, you have no room to call anyone of any color a racist.

The Astros are (in my opinion) a poorly run organization, but that does not necessarily make them racist. The lack of African Americans in their organization is a combination of coincidence, poor drafting philosophy, and the overall lack of African Americans entering the game as a whole.

#36 justtxyank, Sep 17, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2007
  17. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Wow, Borat did the joke better than the thread starter.

18. msn

msn Member

You're standing on solidly stupid ground.

What a certifiably stupid--and racist--statement. You racist.

It was hilarious. And let's continue to throw this in the racist's face.

Well stated.

ThePrivate: shut your mouth while you're ahead. You freaking racist pig.

19. msn

msn Member

I must retract on this statement--came across way too hard.

I'm sorry I called you that; it was way out of line. And uncalled for. And, I've never met anyone on this board.

Playing the "race" card about a thing like sports is so inherently stupid in the grand scheme of things it just always gets my gander up.

I've been to places where one race tried to wipe another off the face of the earth. *That's* racism. Fifty years ago in our own country, a man couldn't get a job or eat in certain localities because of his ethnic background. *That's* racism. One hundred-fifty and more years ago, men would sail to other continents, and load up other men and women, who looked different and spoke different languages--and sell them as property. *That's* racism. Not hiring a baseball manager for a game because his record is like .375, please. I mean seriously.

When you b**** and moan about "racism" because the Astros didn't draft some kid to play a game or hire some old fart to wear a suit and tie, it's just stupid.

So, I'll back off the name-calling and apologize (even though you have the call to call someone you've never met a racist and claim to know "everyone around MLB circles" calls him a racist), but I will not back away from calling your "opinion" what it is: wildly stupid.

Again, your favorite "racist" was the first baseball owner ever to hire an African-American GM. How "racist" of him.

20. Akhorahil

Akhorahil Member

It's crazy how this racism thing is being misinterpreted and just plain butchered all over the place. Just because one guy was trying to make a point. A point that has been obviously missed by quite a few people.

The point that used the Astros as an example is the lack of African-Americans, as players, in baseball. There is no lack of African-American coaches as they played in a time where there wasn't a lack of African-American baseball players.

What Joe Morgan was talking about was the lack of young-in-coming players in the last couple of years in all of baseball. He only used the Astros as an example, because they were there in front of him.

Back to the topic. I think Cooper would do a good job for the Astros under a full season. I'm much more concerned about who will be GM and what the Astros will do in the offseason to improve this team.