1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Capela Closer to CP/Harden or EG/Ariza?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MystikArkitect, Jul 4, 2018.

?

Is Capela Untouchable?

1. Yep. He’s vital.

47 vote(s)
    68.1%
  2. Nope. Just another piece looking better than he is.

22 vote(s)
    31.9%
  1. MystikArkitect

Simple question. I love Capela but is he REALLY irreplaceable? We have shown year in and out how great players look next to Harden, and how terrible they look when they leave.

Would a deal like Capela/EGo/Ryno/1st for Leonard+filler be enticing? Could we replicate Capela’s production with a cheaper alternative?

2. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

We could have if this **** was dealt with earlier! Remember the rumors of Deandre? I BELIEVED it! No real Houstonian goes to Dallas by choice... he did it because we were still waiting on Clint.

fckbandwagons and Why not? like this.
  3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Clint is not irreplaceable, but it's not easy to get a good replacement for him. Hopefully, the Rockets will get him back on a relatively cheap contract. He needs to prove to everyone that he is worth a max contract. In order to do that, Clint will have to show a lot of improvement in this off season on offense, and he will need to continue to play solid defense. It's really all up to him, to take steps to get to the next level.

Ryan_Success and Hard_foul like this.
  4. YOLO

YOLO Member

based on whats available capela is pretty close to irreplaceable for this team. he deserves to be paid well but hes not worth max. hes not going to get that and never was.

Lawlruschang, saleem and Ryan_Success like this.
  5. malakas

malakas Member

Enticing for who?
    If we could get Leonard with hopes to resign him I would go pack Capela's bags right this minute.

pippendagimp, Fyreball, smp and 3 others like this.
  6. Vivi

Vivi Member

I'd say he is, but not necessarily only in terms of player, i just think it's super important we keep him on the team.

Ryan_Success likes this.
  7. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Kawhi with a S&T would be the only name floating around in trade discussion that I would include Capela in on (and Spurs would be nuts turning that down).

CC puts up all-star worthy numbers and is the kinda personality you want from a player especially on a team built for a championship

smp and cml750 like this.
  8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Of course I’d trade capela for kawhi

Fyreball, smp and cml750 like this.
  9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I mean... Warriors are winning titles with no centers. Centers can't even get paid on the open market anymore. But for a team that doesn't get many fast break buckets, he is nice to have for easy offense. But... against the Warriors he is neutered.

tycoonchip, saleem and smp like this.
  10. cml750

cml750 Member

He has chemistry with Harden and CP3 which makes him even more valuable to us. Our record when all three of them played was amazing enough we would have challenged the all time win record had they all stayed healthy. He is vital but not irreplaceable in the fact that there are several people who could fill his type of role but the main issue is there is nobody currently available to fill his role. If we did ever replace him you have to worry if the replacement would have the same chemistry as Clint or would they think they are the second coming of Dream like Howard. I do not believe Capela would be as good offensively in another system at this time but he is young and can learn how to post up better not to mention he has the best ever in Dream to mentor him here.

With that being said, I would package him in a second if we could land someone like Kawhi. Harden, CP3, and Kawhi would be the best big three ever.

Lawlruschang, D-rock and KingCheetah like this.
  11. jayfree

jayfree Member

All I know is Clint's actual last name is N'Dumba-Capela

Can understand why he chose to just go with Capela

12. MichaelSpartan

He's actually more vital as of this off-season, with all the migrating 5's. Clint is competitive against virtually all big men not named Anthony Davis.

This might become a separate thread, but A.D. is the only superstar for whom I'd package Clint. If the Celtics can't get him though, with their superior assets, idk if it'll ever happen. Perhaps C.C.+Ego+P.J.+2 1st round picks+1 2nd round pick=A.D.+anybody+2nd round pick.

To dream about it: Anthony Davis holding the fort and getting picks with our best two. In my opinion, he's the ideal option to push our lineup past GSW, even more than Lebron James. A.D. is a winner and a competitor, and with the right partners, he'll be a champion someday. Just hoping it's with us.

13. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

capela's ability to catch passes at his knees, tip in lobs that are so high he can't grab them, catch and then euro-step around help defenders, make flip hook shots on plays he can't quite get to the rim, and pass to corner 3 point shooters are all things that are not common in big men. his on the move footwork is incredible. he is as perfect a roll guy as there is. and he can block a bunch of shots, makes people work to block him out, and never complains about shot attempts. against 28 of the other teams, that's irreplaceable and he's insanely valuable as evidenced by our record with him and cp3/harden. the fact he can't play as well against the warriors means you certainly can't make him untouchable if there are warrior-specific opportunities to improve. i would still match almost any offer for him because that's just too big of a hit to lose him for nothing. hopefully this depressed market makes him cheaper than we expected. maybe he just signs for one year and waits for the next offseason bonanza.

Lawlruschang and D-rock like this.
  14. rocketseagles07

Against the warriors you have to have a switching big. Let’s look at the last 3 teams with the most success against them:

2016 Thunder
    2016 Cavs
    2018 Rockets

All had bigs in Adams TT and capela that did a GREAT job switching on to their guards and holding their own.

I don’t model anything off of what the warriors are doing just like I don’t believe every small guard with a crazy good jumper(hi trae young) will be Steph. They are an anomaly with a Swiss Army knife in Draymond.

You need a big who can switch to be successful against them period

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He is rare because there are so few good Centers around and some of those have the biggest contracts.

And people won't trade Embiid or Ayton that easily. Or Jokic.

Not necessarily that he is on an Allstar level but he is getting closer to that also.

16. smp

smp Member

Spurs want more than Capela for Kawhi. Would you trade Capela and EG for Kawhi and Gasol? I would.

MarioKissoDeath likes this.
  17. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

He fits us....that is all i am going to say. If DJ was coming, i wouldnt mind cap leaving TBH. It is all about fit in the nba.

Glad the market has dried up and that he isnt going to get anything close to the MAX. That makes me happy. Because we get to keep our guy, and actually pay him what he is worth and not OVERPAY.

But yea.. not irreplaceable....close tho.

18. solodolo11

solodolo11 Member

KL has repeatedly said he wants to be in LA. So since he clearly doesn't plan on resigning (and im not sure we could convince him like PG), then no I wouldn't trade for him. Basically losing 2 vital pieces of our system for a one year rental that hasn't played in like 1.5 years and doesn't want to be here.

19. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Sad but true..... only guy that would make a difference would be Anthony Davis who is just rare...

20. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

At this point if he signs up for a reasonable contract then he is vital. The problem Cuban decided to sign DeAndre for 25 million for one year so it who knows what Clint will get paid.