1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Is Brooks actually a good 3PT shooter?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BrooksBall, Apr 17, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Shaud

Shaud Member

Actually Brooks was playing pretty good when he was started that stretch when Rafer got hurt. Then since Rafer came back and Brooks went to the bench he has struggled. Even when inserted back into the starting lineup since the trade he hasn't been the same.

2. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

That was one of the biggest critiques of Brooks coming into this league. It's one thing to pound the ball in college but very few players can get away with that in the NBA. Brooks is not one of those players. He needs to learn to pick his spots at this level and be effective in doing so while also getting teammates involved.

But you are right, that was how he had success at Oregon:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Lzsl5Yd6hqs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Lzsl5Yd6hqs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Unfortunately, it's hard to play that way at this level. Without even considering defense, he needs to improve at running an NBA offense and controlling the tempo of the game. He can't just put his head down and look to score, even coming off the bench.

3. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I would rather him not try to be matt maloney, but become more mo williams. Any guy that shoots that well from the ft line should be a good mid range shooter. His speed and quicks should make him a really good stop and pop guy. He's still trying to figure out his spots, but I hope he gets off the 3pt line.

4. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

NBA straight away 3 point line is the longer than the sideline 3 point distance. So there isnt as much difference in distance between NBA and college sideline 3 pointers. But in that video Brooks was making crazy straight away 3 pointers from DEEP like JJ Redick, beyond NBA range.

Its college and everyone's the man there, but Brooks has more noticable swagger in it than what he's shown of late with the Rockets. Or even at all

5. jevon3012

jevon3012 Member

People laughed at me earlier in the season when I called him Luther Head v2 but the similiarities are there. Streaky 3 pt shooter, too small for his position, inability to pass out of penetration. Luther was an amazing bench player too but whenever we had to count on him, he was never there just like Brooks.

6. archinkent

archinkent Member

he is a good shooter, but the problem is he is a bloody chucker. he makes most of his open 3s from what ive seen, but dude chucks up some piss-poor shots.

7. Shaud

Shaud Member

We are still laughing.

8. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

Hey, man.

I know we've all seen enough bad point guard play on this team for the last few years to think that everybody who runs the point around here stinks something awful...

..but this IS Aaron Brooks first half-season as the starting point guard for the Houston Rockets, right?

I only ask because sometimes, I get my days mixed up.

I look at Brooks now, and I remember what kind of fits Gregg Popovich was having with a young point guard from France named Tony Parker. he had all the speed in the world, and absolutely no clue how to use it, especially alongside a guy like Tim Duncan. Popovich actually entertained trading Parker for Jason Kidd in '03, even as the Spurs were winning their second title.

Look. It's going to take Brooks time to understand how to do what he does best (and that's shoot and get up and down the court), especially as a small point guard. Time that the Rockets' brass seems willing to give him.

How far the Rockets advance this season isn't going to be on Brooks anyway, in my opinion. That's Yao Ming's cookie.

I think it'll be easier for Brooks, and the rest of the Rockets for that matter, to fall into roles if Yao is the best player on the floor most nights.

Or at least, the tallest or the biggest...

9. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

Kinda like Yi, a shooter who is shooting 38% (FG%, not 3s).

10. Tsquare

Tsquare Member

he's a good shooter when he shoots it right away. When he holds on to it when he's wide open and then shoots like 2 seconds later, it's usually a miss for him.

11. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Nothing better than having a scorer who cannot score. We should also bring in Chuck Hayes to shoot free throws and Deke to stop opposing Point Guards at half court.

Brooks is trash right now. Maybe he will get better but right now he is Rafer Alston minus the court vision and defense. He sure does have Rafer's offense though.

12. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

I sorta see what you mean offensively, but that's also an insult to Jackson's defense, which AB will never touch.

13. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Aaron Brooks did not play that well immediately after the Rafer trade, then played well for 2-3 games right before that spring break week.

Once he became the starter, he had all kinds of more responsibility on him to make "the right pass or play" and didn't have that freedom in his mind. Basically he started to think to much out there on the court. His game is all based on him being quicker than anyone else on the court, but if his thinking about what to do instead of just reacting, it negates his best attribute.

Immediately after the trade, he was doing this until he started to gain some confidence. Then I think that week of practice messed it up for him. They tried to work on some fronting work and other sets that he may have worked on, but were probably done more with Rafer earlier in the year. So, again he started to think too much and react too slowly out on the court. This is also why he is reluctant to take too many shots, especially once he misses. He is not trusting his game and just playing.

If his teammates can tell him to be more aggressive early in the game, and he can just start hitting some shots early I think he will be okay against Blake and the Blazers.

I think he will be better next year after a training camp though. But I also think Lowry will improve next year after training camp too, and will win out the starting PG position.

14. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Popovich didn't even want to draft Parker. He was downright against it.

15. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Hey if a star player like Yao's potential is limited by referees, can you imagine how an average first round pick Yi would do in a game with bias officiating?
    I know I'm pointing at racism here, but the truth is if Yao is black he'll be average 30 points a night shooting 10 fts every game.

Back to topic, Brooks can shoot and I love his stroke. He has a beautiful way of setting his feet before his shot. However, is it me or do people get the feeling that Brooks always seem to bend his foot inwards? When Brooks run or is prepared to jump he sometimes appear to bend his foot inwards so the tip of his foot are closer to each other

16. JLovePG

JLovePG Rookie

He will be a great shooter and guard.but wont be here.
    He just a little guy at here !

17. chasingu

chasingu Member

it's just my view as well.

18. fleshbody

fleshbody Member

shooting practice and ACTUAL game are totally different story. you don't have another player standing right at you face not even saying hands in your face and body contacts. Steve might lose to Brooks in any "mini contest" and he might also win. if you want to compare the two on shooting skills, i'd say 50/50. but in the game, Steve is taller and has better shot selection, that's why he hits 40.6% of his 3s this season, and when he was with us last season, shot a 47.9%. I guess Novak is still the better shooter in GAME.

19. Electro

Electro Member

Brooks better play fearlessly in the playoffs.

and if his shot is off and he's starting to lose confidence, then he better use his speed to run circles around people and find a good assist.

20. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

....on the first tryout. Parker was abysmal on that first tryout but Pops invited him back for a 2nd tryout and thought he was worth the gamble based on that 2nd tryout.