1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Bosh a franchise player?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, May 4, 2010.

?

Is Bosh a Franchise player?

Poll closed Jul 3, 2010.
  1. Yes

44.1%
  2. No

55.9%
  1. RedArmy00

RedArmy00 Member

First of all, I said playoff GAME wins, not series wins. Bosh won a total of 3 playoff games in over 6 years with the raptors.

And you're comparing that to Jordan 2 years? Laughable apologetics.

2. RocketMania1991

I think some people are forgetting that Bosh COULD still turn into a franchise player.

If he comes to the Rockets and leads the team in statisitcal categories and we go deep into the playoffs he will ultimatley become a franchise player.

He would be the best player on the court by a fairly wide margin.

3. jedicro

jedicro Member

So you're saying that if Bosh had lost in the first round but taken it to 7 games, he would be "franchise player" caliber? That's where your logic leads at least.

And yes, I am comparing it to 2 Jordan years. Would have been 3 years if he wasn't out that 2nd year. He was absolutely amazing those years but couldn't carry his team to a winning record in an extremely weak eastern conference. At the time that was good enough for the playoffs, now its not.

I don't consider myself an apologetic. I just know that the blindly dogmatic idea that he's a loser because he couldn't carry his terrible supporting cast to the playoffs, despite how close they were, is moronic.

He's one of the most efficient offensive players in the game. He's an exceptional rebounder, and he's an upgrade defensively at least over Scola. You can say he's not a franchise player all you want. I don't care. I just know he's the best PF in the league and will be for a while.

4. da_juice

da_juice Member

I'm still not sure, at worst he is an extremely extremely good 2nd option, we'll have to see whether or not he's dependable to lead a team, the raptors management was awful, putting together a team with two point guards, a lazy overpaid role player, and an italian, softer version of Dirk who plays the exact same position as Bosh! If he comes here, we shall see what he can do.

5. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Bargniani, Hedo, and Calderon is not a "terrible supporting cast", especially in the eastern conference.

6. PlanetG

PlanetG Member

I agree. If he were a franchise player, we'd be in here talkin' 'bout practice.

7. jedicro

jedicro Member

Bargnani is good...at PF. At Center he's one of the worst defensive players in the league.

Hedo was good...last year. This year he was terrible and is, again, terrible defensively at his positoin.

Calderon is a good player....when he has a decent defense behind him to mask the fact that he is one of the worst players defensively at his position.

Noticing a theme? The Raps could score with the best of em'. But how are they going to get stops? Is Bosh supposed to stop the other team defensively by himself?

8. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Don't forget the worst rebounding big in the entire league.

9. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Franchise players are good enough to mask their teammates' deficiencies in some way. Bosh, though he's a good player, simply isn't a franchise player.

10. da_juice

da_juice Member

AMn, if there was ever a time I wish I could give people rep points... that was excellent well done

11. jedicro

jedicro Member

Two questions:

1) Do you believe Dirk Nowitzki is a franchise player?

2) Do you believe Dirk Nowtizki would have turned around that defense?

12. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I have to agree with Weeko on this one. That team is not great defensively, but I'd imagine if you traded Bosh for LeBron or Wade . . . that team easily makes the playoffs.

C - Bargnani
    PF - TBA
    SF - Hedo Turkoglu
    SG - Lebron/Wade
    PG - Calderon

If they picked up a decent power forward, one who can provide defense and rebounding. That team easily could win 46 - 53 games in the East.

13. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I keep hearing that we need a leader to lead us to the championships. I call a big fat BS on that. You don't have to have an elite franchise player to win a championship. You have to have a team talented and consistent enough to win it all. Basketball is a 10 player game with 5 players on each team. No one has to be an undisputed "leader." No one has to be the go-to-player. Having one makes things easier, but these are luxuries, not necessities. You can win just as many games as long as players play together cohesively and attentively.

14. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Yes, I think Dirk is a franchise player, and I think that if you replace Bosh with Dirk, the Raptors would've made the playoffs.

In regards to defense, Dirk's defense is underrated, but I don't think he could turn around Toronto's defense. However, Dirk's offense is superior to Bosh's.

15. jedicro

jedicro Member

I agree, because those two guys would make their perimeter defense much better. Now you're saying add even more defense through a defensive minded PF. Of course they're going to win a lot more games. You're solving their one key problem.

But you side-stepped my questions. Is Dirk a franchise player, and if you swapped him and Bosh would Toronto's defensive problems be solved?

16. jedicro

jedicro Member

Oh....care to explain why you think Dirk's offense is better than Bosh's? Bosh scores the same amount of points on fewer shots in fewer minutes on a team that has no problem scoring points. So don't say he puts up points on a bad team. They are a great offensive team.

The only reason they didn't make the playoffs is because they were the WORST defensive team in the league. If you don't fix that, you're not getting any better.

You're making unsubstantiated claims based on notions that lack context.

17. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Dirk is far more versatile offensively....that's why he's better on offense.

To improve a team, you either improve the defense or improve the offense. Dirk would'nt improve the defense, but he'd improve the offense. That's why they'd be better.

18. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

Nobody can shoot consistently like Dirk especially in a one-on-one contest. I dont' think Bosh is REMOTELY EVEN close to Dirk as far as shooting touch as demonstrate by their FREE THROW shooter percentage.

19. jedicro

jedicro Member

So the offense gets better when you have a player who requires 2 more shots per game to get the same amount of points per 36 minutes?

The only thing Dirk has on Bosh is what you pointed out. He's diverse offensively. True. Dirk has a far more perimeter oriented game than does Bosh and, as such, its easier for him to get his shot in the waning moments of a game. Let me ask you this though, how has the strategy of giving Dirk the ball and let him shoot fade-away jumpers down the stretch worked in the playoffs?

Also you have to consider the fact that if Dirk was on that team instead of Bosh, you would be taking away the team's best rebounder. Dirk's not a bad rebounder himself, but not as good as Bosh. So its quite likely that you're giving the other team a possession or two extra per game. Sure Dirk can get his own shot down the stretch (as if Bosh can't...lol), but does that make up for his less efficient scoring and lesser rebounding?

20. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Thumbs, I have to agree with you. Scola is true warrior. If the rockets do aquire Bosh, I hope they don't give up a good core player for him. Next season Scola and the sophmore Hill will be a very formidable power forward tandem if still together.