1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Beverley a championship Point Guard?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by htwnbandit, Jan 18, 2015.

1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Based on a sample size of Saturday's game, he goes full-on Jeremy Lin and drives into the trees while losing the ball.

On a more general note, I agree that you can't define what a championship PG is. A team is a system of parts, and you have to evaluate the impact on the entire system by changing one piece. Beverley, to me, is a weakpoint in our current system perspective. He is a good PG for his role, but the team's need is a second playmaker, and PG is the position where that's most likely to be found.

1 person likes this.
  2. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Since you have comprehension issues and seem to be pretty dense let me spell it out for you.

When the other team does not have to exert anything on the defensive end and your team's bricks lead to easy buckets for them, it is easier to score 130+ points.

I take it you don't watch many NBA games. GS scored 115 points or something the night before against OKC. The way that OKC beat GS the night before was by forcing GS out of their comfort zone on defense. OKC was trotting out a zero defense line-up of: Jackson, Westbrook, Waiters, Durant, and Ibaka/Adams for most of the night. Even still, GS was not getting easy buckets in transition because OKC was actually scoring on most of their possessions.

In a game earlier this year that Golden State lost to San Antonio, a similar sort of thing happened. Golden State still scored 100 points, but San Antonio abused them on offense. The Spurs relentlessly cut up GS's defense with Parker/Ginobli/Joseph (and to a lesser extent Leonard) all getting into the lane leading to easy baskets for the Spurs.

Sorry to break it to you, but it's not as simple as DEFENSE! Both sides of the game are interconnected. Sometimes you rely on your defense. But if your team is inept at offense when Harden is taken out of the game, you will lose 100% of the time.

Not even gonna respond to you anymore. You addressed zero points I made in my last post that exposed your line of thinking. Have fun with your next "trololol I have nothing to add to this discussion so here's a cheeky one liner!" response. Go complain about Harden some more. :rolleyes:

3. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

You mad?

I would love to see your reaction this summer will Morey will sign Bev to a 3 years contract with the Rox.

4. SeekingAlpha

SeekingAlpha Member

Would love to have Bev on a 3 year contract, for about $3-4M a year as a backup PG or starter with lower minutes.

5. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Beverley won't be on this team next year.

6. NJRockFan

NJRockFan Contributing Member

I think you're right.....we'll need an severe upgrade at the PG position to really contend.

7. hakeemthagreat

Who will be taking his place then? And whoever it is can they hold Westbrook to 16pts on 6-13?

8. apatel123

apatel123 Member

No, I was thinking more along the lines of a Tony Parker type

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I don't see why Beverley leave unless some team wants to pay him a lot

10. drowsy12

drowsy12 Member

Anyone who thinks Morey is going to do anything than low ball Bev doesn't know Morey. Not worth paying him much.

11. vince

vince Member

Beverly was a stop gap. He plays defense. He can not distribute the ball. He is okay, but not an ideal fit. I mean, he is better than nothing, at least he plays strong defense and shoots 3 pointers.

12. SLRokJok

SLRokJok Member

I just want to see how Shved plays with our starters.

13. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Championship point guard? The guy shouldn't even be a starting pg in the NBA.

14. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Strange people targeting Beverley, when Terry is the weak link here. We definitely need another ball handler / shot creator, but Beverley is still effective and net positive on the court. Really isn't a either/or situation. Dumb fans gonna dumb though.

15. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

Shut yo dumb ass up

16. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Exhibit A

17. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

My only question is, after this year, will it matter as far as the ROX are concerned?

18. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Bev can absolutely be a PG on a championship team -- if that team has another guard in the rotation who can make plays and facilitate. Right now, the offense is all-Harden-all-the-time, which is unsustainable... and grossly ineffective when you run up on an elite defense who can take him out of the game. I don't think we're going anywhere until we have a legit secondary playmaker, but I'm in the camp who doesn't think the question has to be Bev OR that elusive other guy, rather than a guard rotation involving them both.

19. apatel123

apatel123 Member

I just get worried when we play against teams with great coaches like Pop or Kerr that can make the right defensive adjustments and figure out how to make Harden less effective. It puts pressure on the other players to beat them and it's even more difficult without a legit secondary playmaker. We need to prepared for teams like that come playoff time.

20. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Agree. The good news (hopefully) is that Ray Charles could see how badly we need a secondary playmaker at this point... I highly doubt Morey lets the deadline pass without doing everything he possibly can to get one. Whatever depth we've gained through the moves Morey made so far this season is wasted w/out someone who can get guys involved when Harden isn't on the floor, is having an off night, gets shut down by the opposing defense, etc.