1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Battier a better player now than he was when we traded for him?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Bob Sacamano, Sep 23, 2009.

?

Is he better or worse?

1. Better. He's improved since coming to Houston.

113 vote(s)
    69.3%
  2. Worse. He's declined since coming to Houston.

50 vote(s)
    30.7%
  1. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Member

In the Stromile Swift Back? thread, I was interested to find out that Battier is a top 10 small forward, if not higher, and anyone who thinks otherwise knows nothing about basketball. So what I'm wondering is, has he gotten worse since he first came to Houston? And if so, where did he rank among SF's back then? Top 10? Top 5? Higher?

Some info:

- Battier's scoring (per game and per 36), his field goal percentage, and (more importantly) his effective field goal percentage have each gone down in each of his seasons with the Rockets.

- His rebounding numbers (per game, per 36, percentage-wise) have improved since his first season in Houston, but they're still worse than his numbers in Memphis.

- His assists have increased slightly, and his turnovers (per game and per 36) have decreased slightly, but at the same time his shots per game have gone way down. That means that even though his turnovers per minute have gone down, his turnovers per "play" (usage of the ball) has gone up.

- His plus/minus per 100 possessions has gone from +10.4 (in his last season with the Grizzlies) to 4.2 to 4.3 to 3.9.

As far as his defense, I'm not too sure if it's gotten better or worse. I don't really feel strongly either way. I guess some would say "look, he made his first two All-Defensive teams the last two years, that means he's gotten better." But then, a lot of those same people will turn around and say "what the hell do NBA coaches know" whenever somebody brings up Battier's relative lack of awards and accolades. If you ask me, I'd say his defense has stayed about the same. It was probably underrated then, and probably (definitely) overrated now.

So what do you all think? Has Battier gotten worse? And if so, where did he rank among NBA small forwards when we acquired him, considering he's currently in the top 10?

1 person likes this.
  2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

He was playing injured most of last year, so its hard to gauge where he is compared to when he first arrived.

I tend to think he's pretty much the same player, worth roughly what he's getting paid (MLE -- meaning, he's a solid, but overall average player for his age bracket).

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

The same.

DD

4. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

About the same. He is older, so he might have lost a little quickness.

5. MayoRocket

MayoRocket Contributing Member

I think he's the same. Exactly what was advertised, nothing more, nothing less.

6. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

His scoring efficiency is virtually unchanged. His scoring has decreased because he is taking less shots in the minutes he is playing compared to Memphis. I don't know if that is good or bad. All I know is when you watch the games and he has taken more shots, it is usually when 111 and other scorers are out, and then we are relying on him to score, and it makes me cringe. IMO, I do not think he is an effective offensive creator. However, I would have like to see him take more shots and more drives to the basket when he is the 3rd or 4th option. There were too many times when Rafer was jacking and we would have been better served to tell Shane to drive it in from the corner and make do with whatever results that gave us over watching Rafer crank out 4 for 18s.

IMO, we have never extracted the best of Shane's offensive game. Van Gundy and Adelman should have forced greater pressure on him to dribble drive with the bball when he was covered in the corner. The defense was constantly forcing the ball back to Rafer for low percentage offense by covering the other perimeter guys and fading off Rafer into Yao's lap. Van Gundy and Adelman both should have forced Shane to dribble it in instead of throw it around to Rafer.

Now that Rafer is gone, and especially since Yao is now gone for the forseeable future, it's a different game for Shane. I would expect that if he is not traded, that his scoring will rise slightly and his efficiency will remain about the same because he is so consistent and really isn't over the hill. Although he is right at the top of the hill and looking at a descent. This is why I believe it is in our best interest to trade him, while his value is the highest it is going to be. That is, a good value, shorter term contract, with consistent production and a top 3 perimeter defender in the whole league with decently efficient shooting.

7. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

He's not a top 10 SF I'm sure.

8. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

i think pretty much the same...but i think he's smarter now on D...if you think about it, the league has become faster, and any "slow"defenders" that can stay effective have had to adapt and work smarter to make up for their footspeed, like duncan..

9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

It is possible that he's improved as a defender. He's known to pour over all the statistical reports Morey's analyst team comes up with. It's possible that's made him a better player, in some respects.

1 person likes this.
  10. warmshizzle

warmshizzle Member

I'd say hes less effective than when he was younger. I personally think the Rockets underutilise him, he can be and was much more than just a spot up shooter.

11. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

he's great, just under utilized...

12. Drew07

Drew07 Member

I think he is roughly the same when healthy...although his usually reliable corner shot didn't really fall too much last year.

13. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

We got him for the 7th pick, his value is probably a little bit lower now cause he's older. But he seems about the same player.

14. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ohmx9mlLZ_c&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ohmx9mlLZ_c&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Hey guys, I just found a video of Tracy McGrady passing!

15. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

Not sure Battier staying in the corner is what Rick Adelman wants. Without Yao in the lineup this upcoming season, we'll see whether he's underutilised or not.

16. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I think he is a better defender now but less able to have big games offensively than when he was fresh from Memphis and used to scoring a bit more.

17. Rocket4Life11

Rocket4Life11 Contributing Member

We see your loyalty for Tracy, but I believe this is a Battier thread

18. DreamShakeFTW

DreamShakeFTW Member

He hasn't had to score so he hasn't concentrated on scoring. This year his scoring will go up a little if McGrady misses a lot of time, although Brooks, Scola, and Ariza will probably be the top 3 scorers.

If McGrady comes back early and plays well, Battier will pretty much do what he always does, play great defense, hustle and be the 4th or 5th option on offense.

The Rockets brought him here for his defense, not scoring.

19. Drew07

Drew07 Member

The only other offensive move he has is that r****ded, while effective, left hook of his. He isn't a good dribbler and at 30 the he isn't really athletic enough to be a cutter unless wide open. I would say being a spot up shooter with some post ups against the occasional mismatch is the most realistic outlook on is offensive abilities. So I do not think he can me much more than a spot up shooter imho.

20. Rocket4Life11

Rocket4Life11 Contributing Member

I believe he's a smarter player with more experience..just a step or two slower