1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is anyone here into golf?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RedRedemption, May 27, 2013.

Tags:
  1. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Granted, I've only gone to driving ranges... but I'm absolutely in love with golf right now.

I'm trying to hammer in some more time in the driving ranges before I go out onto actual courses so I don't completely embarrass myself.

Anyone else here a golfer, or at least like going to driving ranges?

2. VBG

VBG Member

love golf. was how me and my dad bonded. nothing makes me as mad as golf though haha

3. RedRedemption

I honestly think getting your form correct in golf is one of the toughest things I've ever had to do in a sport.
    Its rewarding though. After hours and hours of practice I don't embarrass myself at driving ranges anymore. Lol.

4. firecat

firecat Contributing Member

I love golf but can't make too much time for it and neglect my family. So, the solution is to include them. Has anyone had experience with TopGolf? They just opened a facility here in Austin and I thought it might be a cool way to take my family out there and hit some balls. Hopefully it can be fun enough to get them interested.

5. RedRedemption

TopGolf is definitely fun.
    I've went to the one in Katy numerous times. Try going during the weekday before 6PM to get the $20/lane per hour prices. Although, I do admit the lighted fairway during night time is spectacular. There is airconditioning, food, drinks, and there is a points system so its really fun.

I will say though that you should be looking to at least shell out for two hours of golf if you have at least 4 people playing at a time. That first hour passes by QUICK.

If you don't care about points and competition, buy only one membership lifetime card and have everyone play on that card.

6. Jontro

Jontro Member

Used to go driving almost every weekend with my best buddy. It's really fun.

Try the Happy Gilmore approach.

7. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I love golf, but I'm terrible at it. It seems like the harder I try the worse I do. It requires a zen like attitude to play loose and care free.

8. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

Played on the high school team when I lived in Corpus Christi.

I don't play as much as I used too. I have played at Top Golf and it is fun for the family for sure.

I played in Michigan last summer with my wife's granddad at his private club. The fact that I could play and keep up with him won me major points. That and the fact I took him to a Tigers game while we were there.

9. Felixthecat

Felixthecat Contributing Member

Love golf....just started playing in 2011. Go to wildcat when in Houston.

10. RedRedemption

So anyone know how good I should be at the driving ranges before I dare step into a real course?

11. VBG

VBG Member

First time you step on a real course, ignore all your woods. You should be consistent with a long iron (like a 5 iron), a 7 iron and a wedge.

12. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

I tried out for golf in middle school, played 0 golf before trying out. Needless to say, I was the only one to not make the team. I suck at golf, but love watching it and would love to get better and play it. I am very competitive though.

13. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Been playing golf since I was 3. Favorite sport to play by far. Wildcat, River Ridge, Blackhorse, and Meadowbrook Farms are my favorite Houston/Katy area public courses.

14. Jontro

Jontro Member

Which golf team is yalls favorite?

15. RedRedemption

Charles Barkley.
    I model my golf swing after him.

16. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

I like tiger woods PGA tour 14. As for the real life equivalent I am horrible and prefer tennis to golf though top golf is pretty fun

17. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I tie a string on golf ball then bring it right back.

18. PointForward

PointForward Member

I've been wanting to get into golf for a while but I never got the chance to. Any recommendations on how to go about getting started? I have a couple buddies who are avid golfers so I could tag along with them one day but I would rather get a better idea on how to get started. It is worth mentioning that I am a lefty so that's a bit inconvenient.

19. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Being a lefty isn't inconvenient. Just gotta find yourself a pair of lefty clubs and you're good to go.

As for getting started, just frequent the driving range with some buddies maybe once or twice a week. If you're really serious about picking it up, head over to a local golf club and maybe see if you can take some lessons with a trainer to get your basic swing mechanics down.

Golf is an awesome sport that you can play your whole life. Getting into it would be much recommended. I play all the time.

20. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Can you hood a four-iron and hit the guy in the cage who is picking up balls yet?