1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is anyone else worried that we will lose Chris Finch this summer?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Moahst, May 14, 2016.

1. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I actually respect the guy and I'm sure he's got talent, but it's hard to know how much of a factor he's been since joining McHale. Perhaps he was one of the reason why the offense was pretty good McHale's first 3 years; I just don't know.

But ive been observing him for years and it's weird. I never see him talking to players, hell, I never see him talking to anyone (even the other assistant coaches). Does anyone know if he's respected by the players?

2. OTMax

OTMax Member

Thanks for the laugh.

3. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Lol, lock it up. Perfect response. /thread

4. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i wouldn't mind holding onto him as an assisting under the next HC.

but i wouldn't care if he were replaced. there are plenty of assistants with potential.

5. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Why would it hurt to lose Chris Finch? What positives did he bring to the table this past season?

6. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Well, he's coached really well in the D-League and under Mchale as well as international ball. He has good experience thus far and if we make a significantly better hire than McHale this time around and Finch serves another two years under the new coach, he could easily be a Head Coach candidate sitting on our bench, which is valuable.

We've invested time and money into him, so there is SOMETHING to lose though I imagine him leaving would have no effect on our immediate W/L.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The issue is that he is part of the failed regime, and he can't REINVENT himself with these same players, they already have expectations etc.

He needs a fresh start and so do we.

DD

8. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

DD making an excellent point here. In a way, Finch's fate with Houston was determined by the lack of success this year; that is unless James Harden wants him retained. But then you've got the whole forcing a coach onto another head coach thing. I just don't see Finch being a factor at all in our deliberations about the future. We've got to be focusing all of our attention on getting the best head coach we can find and succeeding in upcoming free agency

9. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I want no part of any coach who was on the bench last season. They failed to do their jobs all year long starting all the way back in training camp. This team had more talent than its 41-41 record and wipeout in the first round against a mostly Curry-less Warriors squad. As far as I'm concerned, Finch can leave along with McHale and JB.

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Given it's been a couple of years since the whole Finch-as-heir-apparent thing transpired, I thought it was obvious that his status was grossly misunderstood and exaggerated back then. He was just an assistant that Morey wanted to hire and foist onto Adelman. Considering what an insignificant hire it was, it probably wasn't worth losing a great coach over.

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

A lot of current "hot picks" in the coaching ranks were part of failed regimes. All the people that wanted Thibodeau as coach... hell, he was an assistant here under JVG. Vogel was an assistant there in Indiana. Joerger was an assistant in Memphis. I still don't see what the deal with Finch is... at one point he was rumored to be the next hot thing. I'm willing to blame the players and defense more than I am the offense of this team for the debacle last year. I don't want this to become a situation where we throw the baby out with the bathwater because we've already done that with Thibodeau. And of course, now we're apparently bringing the bathwater (JVG) back in according to rumors. :grin: