1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is anyone else terrified of a win streak?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HROZ, Mar 31, 2021.

1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

We're on our way back to #14 picks, hope you guys are hungry for a Patrick Patterson.

2. clos4life

clos4life Member

Time will tell regarding Mobley's potential, let's just say we disagree on each respective player's potential. Would love to have JG become a superstar but feel Mobley will be the better player. That being said, we better not start real winning before we get Chet/Jabari/Banchero.

MystikArkitect likes this.
  3. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

As I said in another post. I'm not comparing their game. Just saying he's too young and it's too early to judge Jalen Green. He could still be really good.

4. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

You think benching all our rookies and winning is giving them any confidence? Why does Sengun only play 13 minutes a game? Why is Garuba in the g league. Why does Christopher only play garbage minutes. How does this help our young guys at all..

5. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

A - you don’t actually know if Mobley guards multiple positions

B - you think Jalen is better than Mobley when so far he’s been the worst starter in the nba

C - you say board members are incredulous that we passed up on an AD like player… when we in fact did pass up on an AD like player

D - you think Mobley is aite but Chets 15 yo anorexic prepubescent girl body is the real superstar

lololololol wut o_O

6. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

By WS/48, there's four rookies in the lottery worse than Jalen. Suggs, Cunningham, Williams, and Bouknight.
    Mobley, on the other hand, is #1 in that stat amongst rookies who actually play minutes, with Sengun #2.

Jalen's failure (if he keeps this up, hopefully the lack of double bigs and some time to calm down helps after he returns) all but forces this team to draft Chet. With no real star on the roster, we'll have to gamble based on upside instead of taking the much safer Smith Jr. (Who'd I'd take if Green looked like Barnes coming out of the gate).

7. MystikArkitect

A. Have you watched Mobley play? I have. Quite a bit. He guards small guys ok. He has Allen behind him when they blow past him.

B. No I don't. I don't think either are particularly tantalizing right now, but Mobley looks better right now. So does Barnes. So does Duarte. So does Wagner. Know why? Because they're not playing skilled positions or being tasked to run an offense. Know who looks rough right now? Jalen Green. Cade Cunningham. Jalen Suggs. Hmmmmmmm. Wonder why.

C. He's not an AD like player. He's more like a smaller Horford. People on this board think he's little AD. He's not. And even if he was, AD is a #2. Not a #1.

D. Chets a better prospect than Mobley was. He's a more tenacious defender than Evan was and a much more dangerous offensive threat. Yeah he needs to fill out. But given the two? Absolutely no GM would take Mobley over Chet.

We could've taken Mobley. And then what? Be at .500 for 8-10 years while we look for a real superstar? NBA purgatory sucks. I'll take my chances with Green or Cade.

BelgianRocketsFan likes this.
  8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Or he could be really bad.........that is the problem with picking 19 year olds........very few turn into Kobe, many more turn into Terrance Williams...

DD

juanming likes this.
  9. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Look at you thinking you had a point whilst forgetting we drafted Sengun at 16. Or that Jokic was drafted at 41, Kawhi was drafted at 15, Giannis at 15, Butler at 30. How silly do you look?

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Win streaks are good for culture and help raise trade value so I’m ok with it.

conquistador#11 and Dobbizzle like this.
  11. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

He had a TS% of .691 as a rookie , Neither Harden nor Curry have done that in any single season.. Mathews is shooting right around his career average from 3 and several points below his career average from the charity stripe which is 88% for his career.

I'm not so sure he's going to come down from anywhere ..... this is who he is - A really good shooter from 3 point land.

They need to lock this guy up on a contract similar to Brooks .... Yesterday.

12. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Watch where the shot begins - its really low , then pay attention to the elbows , they are flared rather than under the shot , its more a heave than a shot because of that.
    What it reminds me of is a little kid who's 4ft tall just learning to shoot on a 10ft goal .... where they have to use so much effort to reach the rim . They'll use their whole body .... I'm exaggerating a bit of course but that makes me wonder about the people who coached over the years. They had to see that ....

He can fix it ..... but its gonna take a heck of a lot of work in the offseason.

I'm not so down on the rest of his offensive game .... he'll figure out who he can go right at and who he has to avoid finishing against over time.

Defensively I don't think he's ever been asked to do much being the star of just about every team he's been a part of.
    I think he wants to play good defense but hasn't a clue how .... but that's all about attitude and very often giving up your body & stars are almost never asked to do that at any level , just the guys who are hungry to stick around ....

Bottom line , struggling like he has might be the best thing for him long term ..... he'll either work on what's wrong and fix it or .... not.

13. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I hope you are right ?!!

14. juanming

juanming Member

I'm too lazy to look it up buttercup , in which draft bethay 22 or 2023 but I want Sterling Henderson super super super bad

15. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

He's currently signed to the G-league Ignite but he's only 17 so I believe he has to wait until the 23 draft. Likely to be a top pick though and I can't see us being a bottom feeder team again next season barring injury unless all of our youth flop. I'm pretty certain that at least a couple of KPJ, Green, Sengod, KJM, Christopher and Garuba will get to legit NBA starter level, that's only a 33% success rate and I think collectively they're more talented than that.

16. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

No need to argue this point when there is 30 years of data. Jalen Green has a 40% chance of being making at least 1 all star game in his career. If we pick in the high lottery again in 2022 and once more in 2023, we can then guarantee ourselves at least 1 all star. 2 if we're lucky. chances are 1-2 of those high lotto picks won't pan out. maybe that's green, maybe not. not being an all star is ok too. we shouldn't look at it as either he's Kobe or he's not an NBA player. there's a wide range of outcomes, some non-allstar outcomes, that are still valuable even with the second overall pick.

Only about 20 players from each draft even earn a second nba contract. they aren't all all stars either. if you end up with a high level starter (worthy of max or near max) that's a good high lotto pick outcome. if you draft a starter worthy of anything more than NTMLE money, that's a good outcome for a lotto pick in general. those are realistic expectations. based on draft position and median outcome we should expect green to be a high level starter even if he's not an all star, top 3 kind of core guy). based on draft position sengun and KPJ would be lucky to receive a second nba contract so they appear to be beating the odds, good for us and them. garuba and Christopher would also be lucky to earn a second nba contract, again based only on draft position median outcome.

if we end up with KPJ (starter), green (high level starter), sengun (starter), no one else pans out and these guys don't become better than starters or high level starters, we've still beat the odds. again add another high pick in 2022 and probably again in 2023 and we might, maybe hit on an all star or 2. green, sengun, kpj, and the top 5 pick in 2022 will not all become all stars. and that's alright.

1*M5QkH7ku9oDENdsAYDVPLQ.png

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

2 Patquatch

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

9th: Dirk,Tmac, Amar'e, Marion, DeRozan, Iggy, Hayward, Kemba, Drummond
    10th: PG13, McCollum, Brook Lopez, Jennings

19. dmoneybangbang

The point was that most of the superstars were drafted near the top and players like Jokic, Kawhi, and Giannis are more of the exception.

Essentially you are arguing we should try and get more lucky with finding a superstar outside the top ten….

How silly is that?

20. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I think the next person that brings up Jokic as a reason why we either should not try to get a high draft pick or that MVPs can easily be found in the 2nd round should get a two month ban.