1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is anyone else terrified of a win streak?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HROZ, Mar 31, 2021.

1. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Way too early to say they missed on Jalen Green. Kobe was terrible his rookie year too.. dude shot air balls left and right.

roslolian and dmoneybangbang like this.
  2. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

I think you are mistaking what we are saying. I don't think we should intentionally try to lose and throw games. I think we need to focus on developing the young guys. If we win playing Green, Sengun, Garuba, Christopher 30 plus minutes a game. Im all for it. I just don't get the concept of winning with Thies, Gordon, House , Wood. etc. what's the point of that? Those guys won't even be on the team when we are good.

Corrosion, Tuckankhamun and CHAMPBOY like this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Why is everyone comparing him to Kobe, I do not get it.

Yeah, his hair reminds me of Kob when he had that afro, but that is all. And both are SG.

You dun get to be Jelly Bean just for saying it.

Corrosion and palmsnbananas like this.
  4. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think he plays anything like Kobe. I was just saying Kobe wasn't good his rookie year either so there is still Hope.

roslolian and daywalker02 like this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Kob played sparing minutes. Green was playing double his minutes.

I think Green was respected more when he got drafted but Kobe had a fellow super star colleague and playing for the best team at that time which jumpstarted his career by his 2nd year.

DaDakota likes this.
  6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Why does everyone compare Green to Kobe? I mean, you could just as easily compare him to Steve Harris.....

DD

palmsnbananas likes this.
  7. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

lol rockets dont
    tanking is like drug...you just need just another shot...just one more time...only for this day...tommorow you will change.....it doesnt work like that...look at philly they tanked for 5 years and now they almost at the beggining of another tank now....

rockets dont even play 3 out of 4 rookies they drafted this year...where you gonna fine PT to develop even more of them... theyll rott here and those that become good by accident will want outahere when the contract is up....

also you forgot talent pool is wider nowadays... teen picks are as good as the top picks if you know what you doing....if you dont then not even the top picks will help...

8. MystikArkitect

Does he though....or is it that he has another big behind him to help when they get by him?

Don't get me wrong, Mobley is really good. He's going to make a great second or third option. But he's not Cade or Jalen. There's a reason this guy went #3. He's a great defensive presence that doesn't trip over himself on offense. Members on this board literally act like we passed on Anthony Davis with Steph range and Olajuwon's defense.

Chet is a different story.

9. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

People keep saying we need to TANK hard and stop winning. This team is not that good. This is still a losing team but I would not try to lose. If we lose every game on the schedule, do not mean we are going to pick #1 for next year draft. Last year we had the worst record and we picked #2. If we try our best and Silas get out of the way and let Sengun play more than 24 minutes we should be fine, and we should win 27-31 games this year. We will be close with the worst record and I think our pick will be between 1-3 picks

Dobbizzle likes this.
  10. dmoneybangbang

Corrosion likes this.
  11. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

U do not know how the lottery odds work. We need to be one of the three shttiest team in the league to get the best odds to get the top pick.

roslolian likes this.
  12. dmoneybangbang

That just doesn't make sense and seems like a safe way to be mediocre.

Corrosion and roslolian like this.
  13. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

You do not know how sports works, it's impossible to develop players properly when deliberately throwing games. In short, you're an idiot.

14. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Because Kobe is one of the best to ever do it and he still had to grow into it. The end.

A metaphor, an allegory, a parable, is not a direct comparison. The are used to illustrate abstract concepts. The concept is that we haven't seen Jalen Green's ceiling yet, as statistically empirically proven over thousands of NBA rookies over multiple decades.

I know you guys are smart enough to understand this, so likely you will now explain to me why you are willfully misunderstanding it.

Easy, dmoneybangbang and Dobbizzle like this.
  15. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

Most teams that are forced to tank year after year do so because they suck and keep drafting busts. This Rockets team will be back, but don't have much talent. Philly is in their situation because they utterly wiffed on two top 3 picks (Okafor and Fultz) and their #1 overall guy refused to improve his game. The one top 3 pick they did land on is currently a top 5-7 player in the league.

If the rockets aren't even playing 3 of the 4 rookies we drafted this year, and we're winning because of it, then the team has no clue what its doing and is destined to be mediocre. You play the rookies and let the vets walk for more picks and young players, you don't trade them and expect to win, thats how you become the Knicks of the prior 20 years.

As for your third point, it's really not. There's a 50/50 chance that the best player in the draft will come from the first 3 picks. That's three vs Fifty-Seven. Lets compare every draft since 2001 to see where the best players were drafted, sorted by Win Shares.

2021: Evan Mobley (#3)
    2020: LaMelo Ball (#3)
    2019: Zion Williamson (#1)
    2018: Luka Doncic (#3)
    2017: Bam Adabayeo (#14), Tatum isn't far behind.
    2016: Domantas Sabonis (#11), Simmions would be ahead if he played this year.
    2015: Karl Anthony-Towns (#1)
    2014: Nikola Jokic (#41)
    2013: Giannis Antetokounmpo (#15), actually Rudy Gobert, but Giannis will surpass him this year.
    2012: Damian Lillard (#6), Anthony Davis a close second, will pass him up this year or the next.
    2011: Jimmy Butler (#30)
    2010: Paul George (#10)
    2009: James Harden (#3)
    2008: Russell Westbrook (#4)
    2007: Kevin Durant (#2)
    2006: LaMarcus Alderadge (#2)
    2005: Chris Paul (#4)
    2004: Dwight Howard (#1)
    2003: LeBron James (#1)
    2002: Amar'e Stoudemire (#9)
    2001: Pau Gasol (#2)

Thats eleven of the last twenty drafts where the top player went in the top three, and that number will likely increase by the end of these player's careers. Saying a team can do "just as well with teen picks" is utter nonsense. Only six of the last twenty top players from a draft were selected after #9.

If you want to win, you need superstars. If you want superstars, you have to pick high in the draft.

16. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

My post was to another poster who clearly didn't understood how the odds of the nba draft worked. B4 u get your panties, it is a fact that to have the best chance for top picks 1-4 via ping pong, u need To maxize the odds by being one of the 3 shttiest team in the league.

Winning 27 games will not get us the same odds as being at least 3rd shttiest team in the league. Learn to read b4 putting yourself into my convo dumbass.

roslolian likes this.
  17. roslolian

roslolian Member

You realize the 4 rookies we are developing are drafted by the same mgt you said dont know how to draft right?

Why add lower lotto picks when you can add high lotto picks? Makes zero sense.

18. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

"These morons don't know how to draft when the choice is made for them. I know! Have them pick lower where the draft is guesswork! That will do the trick!"

roslolian, Corrosion and DatRocketFan like this.
  19. BonziWellsGOAT

Yeah the mechanics def need work for sure. Inconsistency in the form is huge to. If you look at his good shooting games the form looks smoother and that may as you say come down to a strength issue. I would also like to see him come off of screens tighter than he does and trust his speed to blow past people because he is more often than not he is going to be faster and more athletic than the guy guarding him. He had started doing that a bit more the 4 or 5 games prior to injury. His finishing has also been markedly better of late as well. The strength obviously isn't going to happen during the season more than likely but the adjustments he has made recently have been encouraging and he was starting to be more aggressive. Maybe that paired w the lineup change will keep him going in the right direction.

Tldr: I agree the shooting and obviously the defense need work even though I don't think his form is quite as fundamentally broken as you do but remains to be seen

Corrosion likes this.
  20. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

For sure. I know they're still going to be pretty bad and a lottery team. I'm just not convinced they're going to be the very worst team in the league by record now.

roslolian likes this.